Insight's "In the Shadow of Giants" [IC] - Prelude to Danger!

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]

Which burning person did Seeker most recently aid in extinguishing themselves. I had assumed it was the one closest him, but I don't believe it was specified and Brant has also acted to help that individual.

[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Once someone gets a success on the skill challenge, I remove the 'fire person' closest to them. If you want to specify to remove a certain one, you can, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really affect the skill challenge.[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
PRELUDE TO DANGER!
Crossing the Yoirwood
- Round Eight -

The battle continues as the wagon fires rage on!

Seeker continues to move towards the battle, this time stepping away from his fellow travelers and stares coldly at Eldranth. Seeing that the victims of this assault are safe, Seeker calls out "Come Eladrin, shall we settle this amongst ourselves, a true battle of arcane might?" hoping to taunt the creature. To further his point, Seeker looks into his orb and settles upon one of the demi-elemental planes. Seeing the roiling acid of the plane, the deva opens up a tiny tear above Eldranth to call upon one of the many ooze-like creatures of the plane and it engulfs the undead creature in its grasp.

Satisfied he had the enemies attention, Seeker began focusing on a way to combat the flames and decided the first step would be to protect himself and his allies. With a quick word of power, all his allies feel a warm breeze wash over them as they no longer feel the flames of the fire burning so hot.

Corrin quickly chants an incantation to clear the blood from his face, then shifts to flank the skeletal warrior in front of him. Then he stabs the undead creature with his dagger, using it as a conduit for a spell that sends a thunderous blast through the skeletal warrior, and revitalizes the halfling sorcerer.

Amos hisses at the clutching, gray miasma, inadvertently drawing it into his lungs doing so. The big man swoons and he makes a hazy-headed lunge towards Gregor to get out of the noxiousness. Olcan's head comes up sharply and the wolf lowers his head, circling wide around the combatants, away from the miasma and toward Amos.

Amos steadies himself against that stalwart bedrock that is Gregor and gives himself a shake. He spins to face his foe, eyes narrowing. The tracker pulls a cruel looking pick from his hip - the roughly honed metal gleams dully. Amos crouches and dodges to his right, swinging around the lurching skeleton until he can see Gregor through the spaces in its ribcage and feel the flames at his back. Olcan gathers himself and lunges forward snarling and snapping.

The quickling sneers at Saben, giving the paladin an evil grin. The fey creature's glinting short sword glances off Saben's shield.

In the distance, the flaming skulls stay their distance away from the main battle, raining fire and terror from afar.

Gregor takes stock of the situation, hoping to be able to put a quick end to the two skeletons, or at the very least, keep them tied up so someone can go help Saben with the serious threats. He swings his hammer at one skeleton, then letting his momentum move him, spins around and smashes his hammer down on the other. He then readjusts, hoping to provide maximum protection to his allies.

Eldranth, seeing his skeletal pawns starting to falter, moves closer to the main scrum. He mutters something in a language none of the heroes understands. Then, the undead eladrin raises his bleeding axe and charges Gregor!

The skeletons, bolstered by the presence of their leader, strike the dwarf as well!

Brant looks down at the burn victim.

"You'll hold."

A glance around reveals no more of the caravan's occupants. Either they're all okay for now. . . or they're already dead. Time to deal with matters at hand. He unlimbers his axe and skirts around the burning wagons. Seeing his friends locked in combat he rushes to their aid.

Axe held high above his head, he lurches towards the nearest skeleton, adding his momentum to his swing.

Taking a deep breath Saben steadied himself allowing his faith in Pelor to fuel his determination and strengthen him against his enemies. Disengaging from the quick little fey he moved purposely to a midpoint on the field of battle. Praying for just the tiniest fraction of the sun god's might he threw his arms wide, the sun disc he wore glowing as the air cracked with the weight of divine power.

[sblock=Initiative Count]
The Skill Challenge was a SUCCESS!

26. Seeker (HP 50/58)
24. Corrin (HP 44/70) *** 5 Temporary HP ***
20. Amos (HP 43/69) Olcan (HP 81/94).
18 (+). Quickling Runner -4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of Saben's turn Round 9. Marked by Saben.
18 (-). Blackfire Flameskull
17 (+). Gregor (HP 45/87).
17 (-). Eldranth
16. Skeletal Hauler *** Red is BLOODIED *** (Red) -4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of Saben's turn Round 9. (Red) Marked by Gregor.
14. Brant
13. Saben
[/sblock]

[sblock=Actions]
26. Seeker
- Move Action: Move 6 (G35 -> L31).
- Standard Action: Use Tomebound Ooze on Eldranth: HIT! Eldranth takes 26 acid damage. If Eldranth attacks on his turn it takes 1 more acid damage.
- Minor Action: Use Mass Resistance: Burst 10, affects all allies: grants fire resistance 10 until the end of the encounter.

*** Zone of Grasping Shadows ends. ***

24. Corrin
- Minor Action: Use Periapt of Cascading Health to end a condition that a save can end (clear blindness). *** Corrin is no longer blinded ***
- Move Action: Shift 1 (F30 -> E29).
- Standard Action: Use Sorcerous Blade Channeling (use a ranged power at melee range through a dagger). Use Thunder Wyrm's Jaws against Skeletal Hauler (Red): HIT! Skeletal Hauler (Red) takes 33 thunder damage and is now BLOODIED. *** Corrin gains 5 temporary hit points ***

20. Amos
- Move Action Amos moves 2 (H28 -> H30), provoking an Opportunity Attack from Skeletal Hauler (Blue):

Skeletal Hauler (Blue) makes a Basic Melee Attack (Slam) against Amos: MISS!

- Move Action: Olcan moves 7 (E27 -> H31).
- Minor Action: Draw Weapon, Pick +3.
- Standard Action: Uses Enclose the Prey. Prior to the attack, Amos shifts 1 (H30 -> I29) and Olcan shifts 1 (H31 -> H30). The attack HITS! - Skeletal Hauler (Blue) takes 2d8+10=17, 1d8=6 23 damage.

18 (+). Quickling Runner
- Move Action: Shifts 1 (L22 -> M22).
- Standard Action: Attacks Saben with Shortsword: MISS!

18 (-). Blackfire Flameskull
- Standard Actions: (Blue) uses Blackfire Ray against Saben: MISS!; (Red) uses Fireball centered on square I30: Attacks Amos (HIT!), Olcan (MISS!), Seeker (HIT!), and Gregor (MISS!). Those hit take 18 fire damage (8 after resistance) and those missed take no damage (due to fire resistance). The Skeletal Haulers are excluded from the power's effect.

17 (+). Gregor
- Standard Action: Use Passing Attack on Skeletal Hauler (Red) HITS! Skeletal Hauler (Red) takes 18 damage. Gregor shifts 1 square (G29 -> H28) and makes a secondary attack against Skeletal Hauler (Blue) CRIT! Skeletal Hauler (Blue) takes 28 damage. Both Skeletal Haulers are now marked by Gregor.

*** Skeletal Hauler (Blue) is now BLOODIED ***

17 (-). Eldranth
- Move Action: Move 2 (I25 -> H27).

*** The Skeletal Haulers now gain the benefit of Eldranth's aura ***

- Standard Action: Uses Lifedrinker Axe against Gregor: HIT! Gregor takes 11 damage.

16. Skeletal Hauler
- Move Action: (Red) shifts 1 (F29 -> G28).
- Standard Action: (Red) uses Slam against Gregor: MISS!; (Blue) uses Slam against Gregor: HIT! Gregor takes 9 damage!

14. Brant
- Minor Action: Draw axe.
- Move action: Move 5 (P28 -> K31)
- Standard Action: Make Melee Basic Attack (Charge) against Skeletal Hauler (Blue), ending up in I30: CRIT! Skeletal Hauler (Blue) takes 40 damage!

*** Skeletal Hauler (Blue) is DESTROYED! ***

13. Saben
- Minor Action: Use Virtue: Saben spends a healing surge but regains no hit points. He instead gains 22 temporary hit points.
- Move Action: Move 3 (M23 -> J25). This provokes an Opportunity Attack from the Quickling Runner:

- Opportunity Action (Quickling Runner): Makes a Melee Basic Attack (Shortsword) against Saben: MISS!

- Standard Action: Use Astral Thunder against Quickling Runner (HIT!), Eldranth (MISS!), and Skeletal Hauler (Red) (HIT!) Those hit take 13 thunder damage and suffer a -4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of Saben's next turn. Quickling Runner is still under Divine Challenge due to the area attack.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Prelude_Map_8b.pdf
    748.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Corrin quickly chants an incantation to clear the blood from his face, then shifts to flank the skeletal warrior in front of him. Then he stabs the undead creature with his dagger, using it as a conduit for a spell that sends a thunderous blast through the skeletal warrior, and revitalizes the halfling sorcerer.

[sblock=ooc]
Minor: Use Periapt of Cascading Health to end a condition that a save can end (clear blindness)
Move action: Shift to E29
Standard action: Use Sorcerous Blade Channeling to use a ranged power at melee range through a dagger. Attack the skeletal warrior at F29 with Thunder Wyrm's Jaws.

atk; dmg; temp HPs (1d20+16=34, 3d8+13=33, 1d6=5) I really hope a 34 HITs vs. REF; 33 thunder damage (this guy's already been hit, so no bonus damage from the dagger), and Corrin gains 5 temporary hit points.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Seeker continues to move towards the battle, this time stepping away from his fellow travelers and stares coldly at Eldranth. Seeing that the victims of this assault are safe, Seeker calls out "Come Eladrin, shall we settle this amongst ourselves, a true battle of arcane might?" hoping to taunt the creature. To further his point, Seeker looks into his orb and settles upon one of the demi-elemental planes. Seeing the roiling acid of the plane, the deva opens up a tiny tear above Eldranth to call upon one of the many ooze-like creatures of the plane and it engulfs the undead creature in its grasp.

Satisfied he had the enemies attention, Seeker began focusing on a way to combat the flames and decided the first step would be to protect himself and his allies. With a quick word of power, all his allies feel a warm breeze wash over them as they no longer feel the flames of the fire burning so hot.

[sblock=OOC]
Move - Move 6 squares from G35 to L31
Standard - Tomebound Ooze on Eldranth - Vs REf; Acid damage (1d20 14=29, 4d8 8=26) Hits Ref 29 for 26 acid damage and if it attacks on its turn it takes 1 more acid damage
Minor - Mass Resistance (Burst 10, catches everyone), grants fire resistance 10 until end of encounter
[/sblock]

[sblock=MiniSeeker]Seeker—Male Deva Wizard
Initiative: +12 ; Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
Senses:Normal; Resistances:10 Necrotic, 10 Radiant, 5 Fire
HP: 58/58, Bloodied: 29, Surge: 15, Surges left: 7/7
AC: 24*, Fort: 19*, Reflex: 23*, Will: 25*; — Speed:6
*+1 against bloodied foes, +5 against ranged attacks more than 5 away
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers -
Phantom Bolts
Cloud of Daggers

Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes
Orb of Imposition
Grasping Shadows
Color Spray
Tomebound Ooze
Shield
Wizard's Escape

Grease
Healing Word
Grasp of the Grave
Taunting Phantoms
Mass Resistance
Orb of Impenetrable Escape +3

[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

OOC: Oni never posted a Round 7 action for Saben. I am NPC-ing him for now. Hopefully, we haven't lost Oni.

You haven't lost me. I was waiting to see what the actions of the eladrin and skeletons were before deciding my action as per your suggestion. I have been checking this thread everyday to see if there was an update, and those actions had not yet been posted the last time I checked it yesterday evening.

Anyway, it's all good, you took the action I would most likely have taken anyway, but I am here and I am paying attention.

On an unrelated note a reminder, since it might be important. Saben has Group Defense which means all allies gain an additional +1 bonus to all defenses against targets marked by him. (what a weirdly worded feat, why not must make the mark -3 o_O)

[/sblock]

Sparky

Amos hisses at the clutching, gray miasma, inadvertently drawing it into his lungs doing so. The big man swoons and he makes a hazy-headed lunge towards Gregor to get out of the noxiousness. Olcan's head comes up sharply and the wolf lowers his head, circling wide around the combatants, away from the miasma and toward Amos.

Amos steadies himself against that stalwart bedrock that is Gregor and gives himself a shake. He spins to face his foe, eyes narrowing. The tracker pulls a cruel looking pick from his hip - the roughly honed metal gleams dully. Amos crouches and dodges to his right, swinging around the lurching skeleton until he can see Gregor through the spaces in its ribcage and feel the flames at his back. Olcan gathers himself and lunges forward snarling and snapping.

[sblock=OOC]Move, Amos: Shift to G29*
Move, Olcan: H31 (avoiding OAs)
Minor: Draw Weapon, Pick +3
Standard: Enclose the Prey, 26 (forgot +2 for Flanking) vs AC; Amos shifts to I29; Olcan shifts to H30

*Technically this has Amos ending movement in the square of an ally who is not prone. Because the Standard action has movement in it, is this allowed? If not, I'll just use my slowed move of 2 to move to H30 and then shift to I29. Alternatively he could shift directly to I29, but I didn't want to find out if that would subject him to fire damage. :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Move, Amos: Shift to G29*
Move, Olcan: H31 (avoiding OAs)
Minor: Draw Weapon, Pick +3
Standard: Enclose the Prey, 26 (forgot +2 for Flanking) vs AC; Amos shifts to I29; Olcan shifts to H30

*Technically this has Amos ending movement in the square of an ally who is not prone. Because the Standard action has movement in it, is this allowed? If not, I'll just use my slowed move of 2 to move to H30 and then shift to I29. Alternatively he could shift directly to I29, but I didn't want to find out if that would subject him to fire damage. :)[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]You can't end any sort of movement in a square occupied by another character, unless said character is prone (like you mentioned) or unless the power you use states that you can.

I think Seeker's fire resist would cover Amos so that you could move into the fire without an issue.[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Brant looks down at the burn victim.

"You'll hold."

A glance around reveals no more of the caravan's occupants. Either they're all okay for now. . . or they're already dead. Time to deal with matters at hand. He unlimbers his axe and skirts around the burning wagons. Seeing his friends locked in combat he rushes to their aid.

Axe held high above his head, he lurches towards the nearest skeleton, adding his momentum to his swing.

[sblock=ooc]Minor action: Draw axe.
Move action: 5 squares to K31
Standard Action: Charge (to I30), attacking Skeletal Hauler (H29)
Basic Attack 1d20+17 = 37 (critical hit) for 22+3d10 = 40 damage.

Damn I hope that thing is still there on my initiative.[/sblock]

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Gregor HP 65/87

Gregor takes stock of the situation, hoping to be able to put a quick end to the two skeletons, or at the very least, keep them tied up so someone can go help Saben with the serious threats. He swings his hammer at one skeleton, then letting his momentum move him, spins around and smashes his hammer down on the other. He then readjusts, hoping to provide maximum protection to his allies.

[sblock=actions]
Standard: Passing Attack on Red skeleton. 1d20+17=28, 1d10+8=18; I think that hits, so I shift to H28 and attack Blue skeleton. 1d20+19=39, Crit!. Crit Damage: 2d6+18=28. Mark both skeletons.

Move: If I kill blue skeleton, I shift into his space. If I did miss my initial passing attack, I shift to F30, granting Corrin my AC and Ref bonus. If neither happens, I take no move actions, granting my bonus to Amos.

Minor action: None.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads