D&D (2024) Inspiration From Nat 20 Will Bog Down The Game

Retreater

Legend
The same rule ended crits on spells, ended crits applying to smites, and ended crits applying to sneak attack, and ended crits on a host of other added bonus dice to damage. All while increasing the use of foes using recharge abilities, which frequently are deadlier and are more often area attacks or movement based attacks. So I disagree with you claiming this rule in itself is making the game easier for players. It's changing things, but not necessarily to the "easy" end of the spectrum.
Unless you have access to more playtest material than I do, I haven't seen any examples of new, improved, or expanded recharge abilities. They did not discuss any new ones in the video previews (just said dragon's breath attacks are a recharge abilities). In fact, I haven't seen it stated officially that there will be new ones.

Aldarc

Legend
It puts the DM in a more difficult position for a lot of kinds of checks. If you don't call for a roll when a player wants to check something, you're communicating it's either so simple or so complicated they cannot succeed or fail, or you're communicating to your players the question isn't important. IE there is no trap, or something useful connected to identifying something, etc..

So if a player says they check a chest for traps, and you don't call for a roll, then you're communicating there is no trap on that chest. You're communicating something you don't necessarily want the players to know by responding with no check. So you're more inclined to allow a check each time, so that when it does matter your players have an opportunity to detect it.

So yes of course it's the DMs call, but that doesn't really address the issue. It just highlights which person has to deal with the issue.
I'm struggling to see what the issue is or how this puts the GM in a position anymore difficult than before.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Unless you have access to more playtest material than I do, I haven't seen any examples of new, improved, or expanded recharge abilities. They did not discuss any new ones in the video previews (just said dragon's breath attacks are a recharge abilities). In fact, I haven't seen it stated officially that there will be new ones.

You're right that was merely implied by Crawford saying that's what the monsters get. We shall see, but I think it's a fair assumption.

Mistwell

I'm struggling to see what the issue is or how this puts the GM in a position anymore difficult than before.

Because before they didn't likely have players checking for secret doors in every room, and for traps at every door, for example?

Mistwell

It could be balanced by something bad happening on a natural 1, maybe?

Yes. Or just state that it has to have a meaningful risk of failure for the players such that they would suffer an actual harm, like to their resources or from challenges, if they fail.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I really wish they’d stop trying to make inspiration happen. I’m not a fan of meta game currency like Fate Points, XP in Cypher, or Inspiration in DnD as I feel they break the flow of the game in the ways OP describes. I know some people like it, but I’d really rather not have yet another resource to track.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I really wish they’d stop trying to make inspiration happen. I’m not a fan of meta game currency like Fate Points, XP in Cypher, or Inspiration in DnD as I feel they break the flow of the game in the ways OP describes. I know some people like it, but I’d really rather not have yet another resource to track.
I love it, but yes I hear you. If they do make it a more involved system, I hope its something folks can skip without impact to play.

Remove ads