• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

instead of Bard spells, Ritual songs?

Aeolius

Adventurer
I've been contemplating a Bard rebuild, as well, where Bards would channel a "universal song" for their abilities. Does anyone else remember the game Loom ?

cr0m

First Post
Irda's got it. I'm not saying Bards shouldn't continue to Inspire Courage or otherwise participate in combat, just that Rituals seem like a good fit for Bards.

That poster with the fast pants has a good point about Powers with a sustain action also being a good fit for songs during cr0mbat.

Aeolius... wow, blast from the past. Played that game on my first computer evar.

Last edited:

Stogoe

First Post
frankthedm said:
IMHO they are not a class that should be focusing on combat. The Bard should be out of his element with a tactical strike team.

They've jettisoned the idea of 'good at social, suck at combat' character classes. Good riddance. The bard will have both combat and non-combat abilities. This is a good thing, people.

Chimera

First Post
frankthedm said:
Completely agree. This is exactly what I expect from a bard. The few scant seconds verbal components last for is nowhere near long enough for 'The magic of song.'

You mean you think it should take more than six seconds (tops) for my Bard to instill a +3 to hit / +3 damage morale bonus in all my companions? :D

And here I thought he was just really effective at yelling "Get them!"

Or as I said when my character fascinated an NPC and hit him with a suggestion; "Fascinating! Tell me more!"

tecnowraith

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
I wonder what with Powers and all, if we could have different Powers we could choose from to represent different art-forms?

That is thought. I came up with the idea of instead implements you get instruments. But how about your art forms or performances is similar to Warlock's pacts. The performance you choose you gain a certain number of powers for bards.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
tecnowraith said:
That is thought. I came up with the idea of instead implements you get instruments. But how about your art forms or performances is similar to Warlock's pacts. The performance you choose you gain a certain number of powers for bards.

Or here is another idea, say the Bard is Primal.

Now say, that these otherworldly patrons are the patrons that reside over things like emotions/feelings. They are the ones that pluck our heart-strings when our future lover crosses our path, or the fingers that dance up our spine when fear is about to grip us.

What if then, you could choose a emotional patron to draw most of your impact from. The Primal side comes from the fact that emotions are a Primal thing that resides within us. These patrons simply can manipulate this.

So these Bards by using their art-form or even just their natural aura can use a touch of their patrons power to manipulate a specific emotion of those around them in various ways.

Now some may view this limiting, but I think with enough creativity it can be used in a variety of interesting ways, some both subtle and dramatic.

Harshax

First Post
cr0m said:
It seems to me that Rituals might be a good fit for Bard powers. They take a while, they require elaborate maneuvers (ie singing, strumming, etc) and props (instruments) and they achieve something magical, but rarely instantaneous (putting the giants' stronghold to sleep so it can be robbed, dazzling the sorceress so she falls in love with the Bard instead of killing him, etc).

Whatcha think?

I kind a think this is how they'll handle it. A bard will have mostly charismatic leader type abilities, maybe a supernatural shout, beguiling words type power or two, but the classic magic through music will be ritual Songs of Power. I like that. I like that a lot.

(I hope they are hybrid strikers/leaders, because I like the idea of bards as swashbucklers dashing across the battlefield)

Stalker0

Legend
frankthedm said:
IMHO they are not a class that should be focusing on combat. The Bard should be out of his element with a tactical strike team.

The designers have said there attempt is to make all classes useful in and out of combat.

I could definitely see rituals performances for the bard. He gets song powers in combat, and rituals out of combat.

To me the big question becomes, if wizards and clerics get all of these rituals out of combat, what about the rest of the classes?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Stalker0 said:
To me the big question becomes, if wizards and clerics get all of these rituals out of combat, what about the rest of the classes?

I made a thread talking about how rituals or something using the same mechanics could be used for mundane things (and skills that are now gone) so everyone could use those.

As for the others, I could see martial having weapon training rituals (for lack of better word) or physical exercise rituals, perhaps strategic study rituals for say the Warlord.

Remove ads