• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Instead of D&D 4E, what about d20 Fantasy?

Luddite

First Post
The upside of creating an offical d20 Fantasy, and DnD, is the ablity to get rid of all the Sacread Cows of DnD. Namely the "flavor" that is being discussed in other threads. Classes like the Paladin, Ranger and Druid, only make sense within the context of DnD and not for all fantasy settings.

A d20 Fantasy could also introduce a collection of Magic systems. Not all would be used in DnD, but it would allow those who want to build their own worlds a tool set that would be compatable with "the most popular and recognized RPG."

The question is, "Is it worth the attempt to rebrand DnD to d20 Fantasy? or create both?"

Does WotC want to also try its hand at a "Univerisal" system, or just let others take it and run. I prefer that latter. Having thrid parties test the limits of the bounds of the d20 system is a good thing. That way they are not forced to follow a particular mold.

-The Luddite

MEG Hal

First Post
Emiricol said:
I hope 3E stays around at least as long as 1e and 2e did.

According to AV last night on Mortality Radio no 4e till at least 2007-2010 and that is just water cooler talk :D So no worries.

Last edited:

kenjib

First Post
You don't need to rebrand D&D to do this. In fact, it would be much better if this were done independant of D&D because some people like to play D&D, not Fantasy d20. For that matter, it doesn't even have to be WotC that puts the game out. I think it's a pretty good idea for a 3rd party company.

EarthsShadow

First Post
It would be cool if a 3rd party developer developed a generic ruleset for d20 fantasy, like d20 Modern is for modern...and if they did d20 Future, then why not have d20 fantasy. You can say that DnD is a generic fantasy ruleset, but in reality its not. It's dungeons and dragons, not d20 fantasy. DnD uses an established and specific ruleset in a very specific way, and a d20 fantasy book would be more generic in its approach. Having multiple magic systems, different combat options of various levels of difficulty, different classes altogether not associated with DnD. Kinda like the classes in d20 Modern, only used for the fantasy element.

Zappo

Explorer
D&D is generic, in the sense that it represents a set of fantasy settings. A d20 system, however, could be made, that represents a larger set of fantasy settings. A d20 fantasy should represent the largest possible/most diverse set of fantasy settings (ideally, all of them, though that's probably impossible).

I can't see WotC doing this. Even if different, it would mostly compete with D&D (and probably lose). A 3rd party might try it.

Remove ads