D&D 5E Intelligence Based Dueling Ideas

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I could've sworn it was the other way around with reactions being resolved first unless it was phrased in a way that makes sense otherwise (like taking damage and casting Hellish Rebuke), as otherwise how could someone attack a person who moves out of reach if they are now some undefined 10-movement speed amount of space away without a reach weapon, but perhaps that might just be the exception then?

We've always house ruled that any reaction attack typically happens first. Chalk it up as one more houserule/remnant of older systems at my table if it's the case. shrugs
Opportunity attack is a specific rule that overrides the general rule regarding timing. Sadly, the attack from mage slayer isn’t an Opportunity Attack, just an attack as a reaction.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
blocking a magical attack by some random swordsman Shmoe "cutting a spell in half" is kinda bogus...

buuuut if you are wielding a rune-bearing sword, wearing lead amulets on each Charka and whisper the Koan of Denied Reality while doing so... maybe you CAN cut a spell in half!

I think it can be RPGed into existence.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
blocking a magical attack by some random swordsman Shmoe "cutting a spell in half" is kinda bogus...

buuuut if you are wielding a rune-bearing sword, wearing lead amulets on each Charka and whisper the Koan of Denied Reality while doing so... maybe you CAN cut a spell in half!

The base enchanted blade must be a Katana. No other type of sword will do.

You indirectly bring up a missing magical item:
Armor of Spell-Proofing. Made of lead, this armor...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I don't think it's bogus at all.

Why does literally any magic trump any swordfighter? Why assume a random "shmoe"?

Remove ads