D&D 5E Intelligence Ratings

Point buy starts at 8.

Humans get +1 to every stat. To me 8-9 is average intelligence. That should be the baseline.
No. It is not. IQ 100 is the average. That means some people are a bit below that, some are a bit higher.
A range from 8 to 13 seems like a good average range. A -1 or a +1 to things like memorizing arcane knowledge or history does not help or hinder much.

My rule of thumb is IQ= 100+int modifier*10.

Maybe a better rule would be 100+(int+wis modifier) * 5

The highest you can get is 18+racial bonus. That’s 9.5 on average. That’s where I’d make my baseline average and then go from there. 13, to me, is well above average. Even if you go with the max of 20, 10/11 is average.

I've always mentally assumed that Int ~ IQ*10. Given an average of 90-120 IQ. Sure, that's certainly higher than the real world, but eh?

I don't think Wisdom should try to be equated to IQ in any fashion. I've known too many intelligent people that are clueless as well as plenty of lower intelligent folks who are brilliant.

Stormonu

Legend
I've always mentally assumed that Int ~ IQ*10. Given an average of 90-120 IQ. Sure, that's certainly higher than the real world, but eh?

I don't think Wisdom should try to be equated to IQ in any fashion. I've known too many intelligent people that are clueless as well as plenty of lower intelligent folks who are brilliant.
I think that's directly mentioned in the 1E DMG.

Heck of a necro. I remember 1E sometimes noted creatures having certain other abilities (Ogres and Vampires with 18/00 Strength as well as the other Giants) but I don't ever remember a rating chart for other ability scores (maybe Con 19 for a Troll?). Maybe something in the old 2E Player Option's book series?

Out of curiosity, as I expect you'd be the one whose done the research @Echohawk - do you recall any 1E/2E monster blocks specifically rating other ability scores, especially Wisdom or Charisma?

Remove ads