Intelligent Magic Swords? (2e AD&D)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
So I was doing some research the other day and came upon a bit in the DMG where it claimed 25% of all magic swords have some sort of Intelligence.

Woah! One out of four of those generic +1 longswords cluttering up my campaigns were supposed to have extra powers? I don't recall this being that common with weapons found as treasure in published adventures; is this something that the game designers and most DM's either overlooked or chose to ignore?

Maybe you should try actually talking to your swords more, instead of just taking them for granted.

#ToxicWarriorCulture

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
That might explain it. It's an odd thing; on the one hand, intelligent swords were basically patches for the Fighter, to help him compete with spellcasters. On the other hand, a high intelligence/high ego sword is more trouble than it's worth, and having a party cluttered with them would become a pain.
Yes, I think having to track ego vs. damage taken and manage another personality in the party, or likely multiple such swords with personalities at higher levels, discouraged a lot of DMs from using intelligent swords as often as the treasure tables would have them come up.

OD&D was even more full of them. As I recall ALL magic swords have an alignment and personality in the original 1974 rules.

Paul from Wandering DMs did a couple of good posts on his blog a few years back covering how the Ego rules changed over time, and coming up with a simpler implementation of the rules, which I've swiped for my own games.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What's the breakdown of 2E swords by plus?
Well, according to this table:
MagicWeapons.jpg

10% of magic swords are cursed, 40% are +1, 20% are +2, 15% are +3, 10% are +4, and only 5% are +5. This is a little off because there are special swords, but the tables only give you a 5% chance of those appearing. Still, if we want 25% of all magic swords to be among the strongest, then 10% of +3, and all of +4 and +5 swords are intelligent.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
if we want 25% of all magic swords to be among the strongest, then 10% of +3, and all of +4 and +5 swords are intelligent.
That's not a terrible way to do it, since the best swords should be special, but by the time you get them, just getting a few more pluses pales next to things like high level magic or getting multiple attacks on lower level foes (did that stick around in 2E, or was that just 1E?).

On the other hand, from a RP standpoint, having a +1 sword with a personality and opinions makes that sword a lot more interesting long-term and it can potentially be a much larger part of the campaign, since it will almost certainly show up much earlier.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That's not a terrible way to do it, since the best swords should be special, but by the time you get them, just getting a few more pluses pales next to things like high level magic or getting multiple attacks on lower level foes (did that stick around in 2E, or was that just 1E?).

On the other hand, from a RP standpoint, having a +1 sword with a personality and opinions makes that sword a lot more interesting long-term and it can potentially be a much larger part of the campaign, since it will almost certainly show up much earlier.
The multiattack against low HD foes was an optional rule, as I recall in the 2e DMG, but I've never seen it used personally.

The problem with intelligent weapons is it's all random, so most magic swords have an Int of 12 or 13, don't talk, and have minor abilities like detecting evil or secret doors in a short range. So limiting intelligent weapons to the most powerful weapons gets you things like "hey you found a +4 sword that...detects metals and minerals within 5'"...not super amazing, lol.

OTOH, the idea of a 17 intelligence +1 sword with telepathy, the ability to read languages and magical script, with a host of special powers and the special purpose to slay goblins, with the ability to disintegrate them on contact, is highly amusing, but not terrifying practical- at high levels it's more trouble than it's worth, demanding the player use it all the time, and at low levels, it's a menace, lol.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The multiattack against low HD foes was an optional rule, as I recall in the 2e DMG, but I've never seen it used personally.

The problem with intelligent weapons is it's all random, so most magic swords have an Int of 12 or 13, don't talk, and have minor abilities like detecting evil or secret doors in a short range. So limiting intelligent weapons to the most powerful weapons gets you things like "hey you found a +4 sword that...detects metals and minerals within 5'"...not super amazing, lol.

OTOH, the idea of a 17 intelligence +1 sword with telepathy, the ability to read languages and magical script, with a host of special powers and the special purpose to slay goblins, with the ability to disintegrate them on contact, is highly amusing, but not terrifying practical- at high levels it's more trouble than it's worth, demanding the player use it all the time, and at low levels, it's a menace, lol.
Yeah, the tables need to be rejiggered, probably with the lowest level swords more likely to give communicate through empathy (as defined by AD&D) and then progressively more likely to be chatty cathies as they grow more powerful.

Fighting their wielder for control of their body, which is a weird trap option to make such a central part of them, should probably be removed or made exceptionally rare, rather than an issue that comes up on any day ending in a Y.

An intelligent magical item should be an interesting NPC to join the party, not something that will derail a game.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't have intelligent weapons show up all that often but when they do they are often - pun intended - double-edged swords. On the one hand they're often very useful and have handy abilities beyond just being able to make the wielder better at hitting and hurting things; but on the other hand they're nearly always aligned and thus fussy about who can even touch them never mind wield them, and will sometimes try to take over their wielders particularly if the weapon has a special purpose and an opportunity arises to fulfill that purpose.

Remove ads