• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [INTEREST/RECRUIT] - Crowns of Ice

tglassy

Adventurer
Also, Alec would not threaten the Sea King, he'd cast "Discern Next of Kin" very descretely, to learn what he could about the Sea King before he even said anything, learn that the Sea King was brother to Einar, Eban, Uncle to his missing granddaughter, and brother in law (sort of) to his daughter. He'd also learn what the Sea King thought of his daughter, which at this time is that he means her no harm, which would also change his perspective.

I prefer to keep things close to my chest. I'm a writer, and I like the "Big reveal", or to catch people by surprise. I suppose I should just let everyone know what I'm planning so misunderstandings don't happen...

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Nah, surprises are good and you seem good at it! ☺

But! this was supposed to be an introduction, meeting of the group, more or less a backstory where we don't really need game master. At least, that' s how I understood it. That is the only reason I would have liked your input earlier. This is good char development, I wonder what will Alec do once he finds out about the cult. And Arvids alter ego. And Astrids plan. And... ☺

Queenie

Queen of Everything
We have a party right now, but I will post later today. Astrid will sort it out. It's good to hear what everyone is thinking. This whole prologue section has been a little wonky with plotting things out and having to do more planning with others than usual, but that's what writer's do, right? ;)

I'll post more thoughts in a bit.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Why couldn't Arvid come running to her father? Think about it, he's thinking she's being held captive, then she comes running out, free as a bird and gives him a big hug. It'd surprise him, and probably make him more willing to listen. That's probably the best way to go forward, she comes to him by herself, and convinces him to go forward.

OOC, I'm not trying to be dificult, I'm just trying to play Alec to his character. Before I post, I sit and think "What would Alec do?", and so far, this is what I've come up with. He's not an unreasonable fellow, but the fact that it's his daughter involved is going to cloud his judgement. It always does when his family is involved.

I know we're all the same level. I asked AB how many ships Alec would be able to muster, and he said 12. So he brought 12 ships, because as far as Alec knows, this is just a hostage exchange. Alec doesn't seem like the type to pay ransoms to me. He seems like the type to tell the randsomer to go to hell.

So, let Astrid come running out. I guarantee Alec's demeanor will change.

My first instinct was Astrid would run to her father. But, I didn't want to post that because the way you are playing Alec and, honestly, what would make sense is, Alec or his men would grab her, extract her from the Island, then blast the whole place with fire. Just to see if that Baldur's thing is real or not. Cause, you know, Demiurgists. Either way, she's off the Island and safe. Annddddd that kinda makes things more difficult.

So, Astrid -has- come running to her Daddy. After telling off the Sea King that is ;) Hopefully we can go from there :D

I definitely get keeping things for the big reveal. I like surprises too, I honestly do. This is the first time I've been in a game that got this complicated and needed all this set up for backstory and what have you. It's all great story it just needs some help getting there. After this, like once we're all together, I have no clue what is to come!

Fenris

Adventurer
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION]
What would Thorir know of Arvid's history. How much did Arvid tell him? That he is a jarl's son? Does he know his native land? How does Thorir see Arvid? A loyalist to Einar? A supporter of his father? Had they left on good terms? Just trying to establish how they will greet each other.

Neurotic

What would Thorir know of Arvid's history. How much did Arvid tell him? That he is a jarl's son? Does he know his native land? How does Thorir see Arvid? A loyalist to Einar? A supporter of his father? Had they left on good terms? Just trying to establish how they will greet each other.

Thorir was a Arvids pupil - both sons learned diplomacy and intrigue at his feet - Einar just took it more to heart while Thorir enjoyed martial diplomacy more.
But Arvid did warn him about Einars change and not to return. I'd say they are familiar and close if not exactly friends. But with mutual respect. Enstranged by time maybe, but still...

Thorir (or actually anyone) wouldn't know he's Jarls son, that would put a great target mark on him - he's 'Carefully Hidden' (trait). Yes, everyone knows his native land. Arvid is traditionalist and supports the old Jarl - only very rarely he calls Einar a jarl. Still using his first name in most encounters. He WOULD support Einar in any normal circumstance (as older brother, he has priority on his fathers position - although Arvid would actually like to see A Meet). But with the cult in the game, he is pro Thorir :)

Queenie

Queen of Everything
But I think what Fenris needs to know is, what is the story Arvid's told Thorir about where he's from, who his family is or any of that. A Jarl wouldn't just let a random strange person come in and teach his sons without having some idea of where he is from or that he has some talent for the thing he is teaching. Right?

Obviously he wouldn't tell them the real story because that is hidden. We're assuming no one knows he is from Gataberg. Where does Thorir think he is from?

(Sorry, asking because he is in school so this will help when he gets back to the computer...)

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Neurotic

But I think what Fenris needs to know is, what is the story Arvid's told Thorir about where he's from, who his family is or any of that. A Jarl wouldn't just let a random strange person come in and teach his sons without having some idea of where he is from or that he has some talent for the thing he is teaching. Right?

Obviously he wouldn't tell them the real story because that is hidden. We're assuming no one knows he is from Gataberg. Where does Thorir think he is from?

Everyone knows he's from Gataberg - I'm sure he's not the only one. The brothers know nothing, old Jarl might, he, after all, let Arvid teach his sons. Note that Arvid was just a boy at the moment his mentor brought him there. Old enough to be trained, but not old enough to have a wife and family.

But still, he's probably closer to Alecs age than Astrid or Ebens.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Alec is 36 I believe? Somewhere around there. Still young and in his prime ;)

Astrid is going to wait to speak now until Alec and / or Arvid speaks.

It should be interesting on Arvid's end, what he carefully chooses to reveal in front of Alec and Astrid. Just like Eben doesn't want Astrid to go on, he knows it could cause war between their two Jarldoms to go back on her word.

Arvid doesn't want to be the cause of war, I am sure, yet... he has some things to say.

Should be good.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads