D&D 5E Interested in seeing your homebrew 5e Magic Items

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Looking for some inspiration for magic items for my crew.

In particular hoping to be inspired for some goodies for an elven wizard (divination); human fighter arcane archer; and halfling swashbuckler rogue.

Thanks in advance!

aco175

Legend
I tend to make items with a bonus like a spell 1/day or a reroll or such, over the standard +1. For example; the party rogue at 4th level has a +0 dagger that returns when thrown. It also lets him reroll an attack 1/day and cast darkvision 1/day. Not terrible powerful, sometimes I would go with mage step over another spell to allow a PC to get someplace like around a bad guy.

I have another one for a caster which is a wand of the war mage +1, but allows him to add his modifier to damage on fire spells. I also allows a fire spell to be cast at +2 levels 1/day.

I also like to have small, comfy items to make life easier. A waterskin that holds a gallon instead of a qt. A sleeping bag that allows you to sleep in armor. A mug that fills with beer 3/day. A necklace that keeps bugs 10ft away. Cheap things that PCs spend a few hundred gold on.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
From my Dark Sun campaigns, this one always causes my players to giggle ecstatically:

Tyrian Iron Longsword
+1 to hit
2d6 + STR modifier force damage. Two-handed 2d8
Minor Benefit: as a bonus action, this weapon can destroy objects of magical force, such as a wall of force or forcecage.
Major Benefit (1/short rest): choose a number of targets equal to your proficiency bonus that are within 60 feet of you. As an action, you teleport within five feet of each target and make one melee weapon attack against each target. On a hit, you deal force damage equal to 2d6 + your STR modifier.
You end your action within five feet of one of these targets.

Cloak of shadow
rare cloak needs attunement
anyone wearing it in less then direct sunlight you have advantage on stealth checks
when attuned by a person with sneak attack they can upgrade the die type to d8's as long as you also change the damage to necrotic.
when attunned by a person with an unarmed strike they can use the cloak as a reach weapon that deals your unarmed strike damage
when attuned by a spellcaster you can use mysty step as a cantrip but only from shadow to shadow

IF you have sunlight sensitivity this blocks the sunlight

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Ring(s) of Elemental Affinity
Each indivindual ring is/can be attuned to a single energy type,
-If found as loot the player does not get to pick which energy type it is attuned to (but can reattune it freely)
-If purchased the player can have it be attuned to any energy type they wish it to be at the time of purchase,

To reattune a ring's energy type the player must spend a 1 hour 'ritual' to do so, but must have access to a spell, ability or item that deals the new damage type (spell, ability or item not expended in any way), the player can have another apropriate player or NPC with access to an energy type they don't have to attune the ring for them

Each ring has 4 charges,
-Recharges one charge on a short rest, recharges all charges on a long rest,
-If a character has multiple rings the charges are pooled and shared between them

It requires a Bonus Action to use the ring on your turn, A number of charges may be used to:
(1 charge) your weapon deals [energy] damage for 1 minute
(2 charges) you gain resistance to [energy] for 1 minute
(2 charges) you can cast a spell that deals [energy] damage at one spell level higher than the spell slot actually being used to cast it
(1 charge) you can swap a single energy type in a spell you are casting to [energy type], replace every instance of the original energy type with [energy type] for the entire duration of the spell's effect
(3 charges) you can nullify [energy] damage against you and recover half the damage it would have inflicted until the start of your next turn (This can be performed as a Reaction off your turn)

Also, any thoughts on ballancing or suchlike? I think if they were to require attunement then having multiple rings should all attune to the same attunement slot.

Last edited:

Ayeffkay

Explorer
I do not like the 5e wand implementation, where they are essentially free extra spell slots each day recharging infinitely. That said, I also don't like wands that no one ever uses because they might need them more later. My homebrew version of wands (and most other things that can spend a charge to cast exactly one spell) works as follows:
  • Wands can be attuned, but do not require it; you can use the wand as normal without attuning it.
  • Wands do not regain charges automatically.
  • You can recharge a wand by casting the spell that the wand casts, targeting the wand. If the wand can upcast a spell by spending additional charges, you can restore additional charges the same way. You don't actually cast the spell - you don't shoot magic missiles at your wand. But you go through the motions of casting the spell (preparing it, spending an action and a spell slot).
  • If you attune to the wand, you are considered to have its spell prepared (even if it is not on your spell list), and can cast it using your regular spell slots. If the spell has a Material component, you must use the wand as a focus if you have the spell prepared this way. If you are a class that uses a spellbook and the spell IS on that class's spell list, you can use this preparedness to add the spell to your spellbook, like you would with a scroll.
I think the result is that you borrow spell slots from the future. You might effectively have a few extra spell slots, but it's per adventure rather than per day. If you end a day with spell slots leftover, you can put them into the wand, but it's more likely that you only have the opportunity to recharge it between adventures. Warlocks might break this, but I think most tables restrict daily short rests, so it's probably not as big of a problem as I think, and if it is, Warlocks needed a boost anyway.

In our current West Marches CoS/Ravenloft campaign, each character has an heirloom item that gains magical properties if/when the PC hits level 4... then every 4 levels thereafter.

For the four PCs that have made it to 8th level so far...

Tabaxi Beastmaster Ranger's "Shark Tooth Necklace"
4: Advantage on Initiative and cast Heroism 1/day"
8: +1 to INT/WIS/CHA saves

Tabaxi Phantom Rogue's "My Father's Sword"
4: Advantage on STR/DEX/CON checks to climb and cast Silent Image 1/day
8: +1 to AC when wielded

Aarakocra Glamour Bard's "love letter from Emily"
4: Friends cantrip and cast Enthrall 1/day
8: +1 to Spell Save DC

High Hal-Elf Forge Cleric's "sun pendant"
4: Light cantrip and cast Sanctuary 1/day and knows approximate location of activated Sunsword
8: +1 to STR/CON saves

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's a few I homebrewed over the course of my Tomb of Annihilation campaign.

Burning Spear of Asharra
Weapon (spear), rare (requires attunement) [my homebrew]

The tip of this magical spear burns white hot when you wield it, dealing an additional 1d6 fire damage on melee attacks. After you throw the spear, hit or miss, it flies back to your hand. Once per day you can throw the spear and focus your aggression into it, dealing an extra 1d6 fire damage on a hit; additionally, two spectral flaming versions of the spear make attacks against the same target, each dealing 2d6 fire damage on a hit.

Magic Arrows
Weapon (arrow), minor uncommon (consumable) [conversion: AD&D Encyclopedia Magica]

Magic arrows are found in bundles of 1d6. Their magic is expended after being fired, hit or miss.

Arrow of Disarming. This magical arrow can be used to make a Disarm attack at range. Make an attack roll contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check; if you succeed the target takes no damage and instead an item is knocked from their hand. If the item is wielded with two hands, the target has advantage on their check.

Arrow of Lightning. This magical arrow inflicts an extra 1d6 lightning damage when it hits. When it hits, it also inflicts that same 1d6 lightning damage against each creature in a straight line to the target.

Arrow of Climbing. This magical arrow affixes securely to an object it is fired at, a magical filament rope extending up to 120 feet from the arrow to your hand. The rope vanishes if the arrow or rope are removed or 1 hour passes, whichever comes first.

Arrow of Signaling. This magical arrow may be fired into the air, at which point it travels one mile and erupts in a brief fireworks display visible from up to 20 miles away.

Natombe Dream Stone
Wondrous item, major rare (requires attunement; item set) [my homebrew]

This golden riverstone is carved in the visage of a dragon with symbols of the moon at high sanction amidst a backdrop of constellations that slowly change. While attuned to the stone, you are immune to dream-based attacks (such as the dream spell or Nightmare Haunting) and you receive prophetic dreams at the DM’s discretion. Once per month you may attempt to intentionally dream about a particular topic; make a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw as if you cast contact other plane.
Magic Item Set: As part of the Natombe magic item set, you may attune to any number of items in the set using just one attunement slot. Alternately, if all three items are attuned to different friendly creatures, when those creatures roll initiative they may swap their initiative scores as they wish.

Natombe Ghost Sword
Weapon (rapier), major rare (requires attunement; item set) [conversion: based on d20 Ghost-Touch Weapon]

This flyssa (Chultan rapier) is a magic weapon which deals either piercing or slashing damage, as you desire. Indistinct whispering seems to follow each stroke of the rapier. While attuned to it, your attacks with the rapier bypass the damage resistances and immunities of incorporeal undead (e.g. banshees, ghosts, shadows, specters, wraiths). You are able to damage undead creatures on the Border Ethereal using the rapier, provided you strike the right space. Additionally, undead cannot move through your space using Incorporeal Movement as long as you have the rapier drawn and attuned.
Magic Item Set: As part of the Natombe magic item set, you may attune to any number of items in the set using just one attunement slot. Alternately, if all three items are attuned to different friendly creatures, when those creatures roll initiative they may swap their initiative scores as they wish.

Natombe Rain Bow
Weapon (longbow), major rare (requires attunement; item set) [my homebrew]

This composite longbow is a magic weapon, purportedly gifted to the Natombe by the Rainbow Serpent who guided the peoples of western lands to Chult. As a composite bow, you may use either Dexterity or Strength for your attacks and damage with it. While attuned to this bow, you can see through the heaviest of rain as if it were a clear day. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points using this bow, as your reaction you may cause the arrow to land anywhere within 15 feet of the target (using common sense for its trajectory) and emit a burst of rainbow-hued light. This destroys the arrow. Each creature within 15 feet of the light that can see it must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be compelled to only use it movement to move toward the rainbow light on the creature’s next turn.

Scroll of Hidden Byways
Scroll, minor very rare [my homebrew]

Phantasmagoric sketched images and sigil sequences for teleportation circles shift across the surface of this scroll which seems to bleed with sepia-toned ink. Every day, this scroll cycles through 10 sigil sequences for a teleportation circle somewhere in Chult. Deciphering a sequence is automatic for a bard, sorcerer, wizard, or arcana domain cleric. For others, it requires a DC 13 Intelligence (Arcana) check taking 1 minute; each creature may only make one attempt per day, but a failed check induces short-term madness (DMG 259).
>this involved a random table of locations tailored to my campaign

Remove ads