• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Internet Explorer 7; NET Framework 3

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
I am still using IE 6 because as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I believe I need to update for at least security reasons. IE 7 at one time gave many people issues but I assume the bugs are straightened out, correct?

Also, .NET Framework 3.0 along with the 3.0 Family Pack is avaliable. Anyone install either one? Any issues?

Thanks.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm a .NET developer and we're forced to use IE 6 at work (a 3rd party, business-critical, Java-based app is incompatible with higher version). I used IE 7 at home until a couple days ago (IE8, now). I have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed everywhere, currently, and have gone through every version of .NET since 1.1. No problems with any of the above. I have FireFox at work for doing anything that might need to be standards-compliant, and it works fine, too.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
It took you this long to figure that out?

You're right though, you should upgrade. Install Firefox.

No, it didn't take me that long to figure it out. My security software is very good including SP3 for Windows and all other updates. My question was: Are the issues with IE7 fixed?

Thanks Mercule concerning the information about .NET Framework 3.0

Aus_Snow

First Post
Who cares? IE8 is out (and is fine).
Indeed.

And it seems more than a little peculiar, updating everything. . . except Internet Explorer. :confused: Every time you've been online with that setup, your PC has been at more risk than if you'd simply gone with IE7 some time ago, and IE8 for the last few days at least (can't remember exactly when the full, non-beta version was released).

As for .Net, I'd go the other way. Only install it when (well, if) you actually need it for particular applications. They'll let you know, and prompt you to download and install it, generally speaking. Otherwise, as far as I'm aware, there's absolutely no advantage to it. That said, I have 3.5SP1 on this PC, and I can't recall if I need it quite that up-to-date, but hey, got it now.

But seriously, use IE8 (with update of course) and/or Firefox 3.0.8, and/or whatever other web browsers appeal. Personally, I just stick with Firefox, but IE8 is also installed, in case I want or need to check out how sites look or function (or not, in some cases) with one or the other.

Ranger REG

Explorer
But seriously, use IE8 (with update of course) and/or Firefox 3.0.8, and/or whatever other web browsers appeal. Personally, I just stick with Firefox, but IE8 is also installed, in case I want or need to check out how sites look or function (or not, in some cases) with one or the other.

Should I go ahead and install IE8 or wait until Windows Update notify me?

XCorvis

First Post
I am still using IE 6 because as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I believe I need to update for at least security reasons. IE 7 at one time gave many people issues but I assume the bugs are straightened out, correct?

Also, .NET Framework 3.0 along with the 3.0 Family Pack is avaliable. Anyone install either one? Any issues?

Thanks.

It is broke, and badly, just not in a way you were worried about before.

IE 7 "issues" were mostly because lazy web programmers were coding sites specifically for IE 6 instead of utilizing proper standards. IE 7 works fine, and most of those sites have since fixed their code. You may as well jump to IE 8. It has a compatibility mode for sites that don't like IE 8.

The days where one web browser works on every site are gone. It's back to the "browser wars" where things that don't work in one browser will work in another. You should get more than one web browser. Who knows, you might like one of the others better. To begin with, they're all a hell of a lot faster.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Who knows, you might like one of the others better. To begin with, they're all a hell of a lot faster.
Yep. Definitely try IE8, it's not bad and seems to be okay-ish, especially if you try to keep to the IE family.

You should try Opera, because I think it's the sleekest and best working browser for people who just want to browse the web. Plus: IE7+ take a lot of cues from the overal UI from the Opera UI... so you would need to re-familiarise yourself anyway. My standard recommendation for people who aren't gearheads.

Firefox is more for customisers - and since you were pretty okay with IE6 for a long time, I think you don't need the extra functionality - unless you like the IE6 browser interface a lot, because you can customise Firefox to look and behave like the IE6 (sans IE6's horrendous security flaws).

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads