Streaming Service Part 2: November Rankings

Hex08

Hero
There's another factor at work. Call it ... Zaslav effect. The prestige model? That's very .... last year. Very "HBO." Very "drive people to pay for a subscription." The new hotness is "keep people to have your shows on in the background while you do other stuff and ads play." And for that, you don't want programming that is all intellectual and taxing and requires you to ... actively watch. Instead, you want low-cost, low-engagement programming that is just filling time and has a lot of room for ads. As we move to tiered services, expect to see more of this.
If this ends up being the new model, and I suspect it will, the fault lies squarely with the viewing public, Zaslav is just taking advantage of it. There will likely always be high quality shows and some streaming services or TV networks will be more intellectually engaging than others but how many people used over-the-air TV or cable in the same way? Given the profit motive the easiest, least expensive was to make some money will win out, just look at what happened to radio after Reagan deregulated broadcasting. Just like TV ended the Golden Age of Radio so goes, sadly, the era of prestige TV.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Peacock won't work on our 2016 Samsung... and I didn't get out in time to get a Roku... but my laptop can take a HDMI. So, instead of hoping the local NBC station signal was working well today over the air (it's 50-50 with our current antenna), we paid $4.99 for the month to watch the parade and dog show. My son will try to get in the new How to Train Your Dragon show before we cancel.

Zardnaar

Legend
Peacock won't work on our 2016 Samsung... and I didn't get out in time to get a Roku... but my laptop can take a HDMI. So, instead of hoping the local NBC station signal was working well today over the air (it's 50-50 with our current antenna), we paid $4.99 for the month to watch the parade and dog show. My son will try to get in the new How to Train Your Dragon show before we cancel.

Generally we use our PS4 or Xbox to run apps. Smart tvs are a bit crap and outscis getting on. Wasn't good at it new though.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Generally we use our PS4 or Xbox to run apps. Smart tvs are a bit crap and outscis getting on. Wasn't good at it new though.

The 13yos Xbox is a 360, so too old for Peacock.

Our TV works fine for Prime, Disney+, and Netflix. Peacock is apparently pickier.

Zardnaar

Legend
The 13yos Xbox is a 360, so too old for Peacock.

Our TV works fine for Prime, Disney+, and Netflix. Peacock is apparently pickier.

Erm newer model Xbox but not the latest. XboxOne.

Mostly use PS4 as the controller is rechargeable and haven't bought new recharge pack for Xboxone.

Smart TVs not so smart. And they're kinda crap at running apps.

Remove ads