Streaming Services: First 2023 POWER RANKINGS (And what's up with Prime?)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We should be persuading people to understand and solve the difficult social conflicts we need to in order to make it work. Instead I see a lot of people shutting those challenges down as transphobic, and de-platforming. ....

i really think people are setting up the wrong enemy here. Cooler heads need to prevail in reasoned debate.

Mod Note:

It may be useful at this point to raise the issue of Popper's Paradox, otherwise known as the Paradox of Tolerance - to wit, "If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

So, there is a point where even those who are tolerant should stop putting up with intolerant nonsense, especially when that nonsense gives motivation and cover to those who do harm. Eventually, it becomes less about trying to persuade someone, and more about limiting the harm they can do.

I mention this in "mod voice" because our own inclusivity policy is informed by this notion.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Wel think I added it up and Harr Pitter franchise from me has earned a grand oil of $6 usd approx.

The ladies convinced me to see one of the movies and I had a theatre card for cheap tickets.

Otherwise I would rather introduce my love spuds to an intimate encounter with a cheese grater than spend money on HP.

The things we do for wubs.

I still maintain that folks are underestimating Paramount Global.

700 million in savings by combining Paramount+ & Showtime, 5 billion+ from selling BET & S&S, allowing them to pay off streaming debt and pay from new content opportunities like Star Trek Legacy, massive franchises like CSI (over 800+ episodes), Jag/NCIS at over 1100+ episides (and if you include its extended coover universe like Hawaii 5-O, Magnuem PI, and McGiver its more like 1500+ episodes), Star Trek Multiverse (880+ episodes, over 900+ episodes by end of year, with resurgent popularity), the Lorreverse (Big Bang, Young Sheldon, 2 and a Half Men) over 500+ episodes, the Yellowstone Spinoffs, etc...

They also have the deal with Walmart+, which means the more Walmart promotes and improves Walmart+ that more Paramount+ stands to benifit at no cost to itself, and Walmart wants Walmart+ to compete with Amazon Prime.

Paramount also has some of the biggest movies, Top Gunn movies, Mission Impossible movies, Sonic the Hedge Hog movies, transformer movies, D&D movie and upcoming series, etc...

Its also got the highest subscriber growth.

So deep content library, some great new programming, rapid growth, key business partnerships, and they are ignoring the whining of short term investors in favour of the long term good of the company, the kind of long vision that is growing rare these days when the markets encourage razing companies to the ground for rapid huge, short term profits at the expense of long term future for the companies.

well, I just canceled my Disney plus sub, I may pick it up back up in July,

Disney is alot better in Canada, we have alot of Fox/Hulu content on it (but not Hellraise which went to Paramount+) because Hulu never made it to Canada, so we are like sign of what to expect if Hulu and Disney+ merge.

Still alot of major Disney IP has been mismanaged, most of Phase 4/5 Marvel, Lucas Film, Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has been burnt to ashes over Disney mishandling of DV victim Johnny Depp, International Audiences are losing interest in the live action remakes. Avatar did well.

So Disney is in trouble.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The most important streaming service in the world today (according to my 13yo) is undoubtably Netflix. His excitement for "Ninjago: Dragons Rising" was apparently amply rewarded. He's rewatching the series again already and says it was great (half last day of school and they are apparently allowed to do whatever they want).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just cancelled HBO, having concluded Barry (sob!) and the surprisingly decent most recent season of Rick & Morty (which I had found getting to be pretty tiresome in previous seasons).

Hex08

Hero
We should be persuading people to understand and solve the difficult social conflicts we need to in order to make it work. Instead I see a lot of people shutting those challenges down as transphobic, and de-platforming. Which is letting the extreme/alt-right have a field day.

i really think people are setting up the wrong enemy here. Cooler heads need to prevail in reasoned debate.

I agree with you (about the part I quoted, I don't know enough about Rowling to have an informed opinion) and I wholeheartedly agree with former Justice Brandice when he said, among other things, "the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”. While I admit this will not always be completely productive the other option, it seems to me, is shutting people down which causes them to dig in their heels and embrace more fully their bad ideas. Just look at Gina Carano and her relationship with The Daily Wire and Ben Shapiro since her firing from Disney. Now she is likely more exposed to the alt-right's point of view than ever before and the odds of her having a reasonable conversation with a person with a countervailing viewpoint are likely slim.

Anyway, that's my two cents...

Last edited:

Remove ads