Streaming Services: Power Rankings Summer 2023, and What's Up With Paramount+

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I still enjoyed the Prime seasons. I try not to compare shows to the original text. In its own context, I think the entire series holds together very well.
I actually think the first three seasons were better than the books thanks to involvement of the writers. When Amazon took over they stuck closer to books which was ok. That final season though pulled the rug out from under them.

I'm really toying with getting a Paramount+ subscription, for South Park, Fraiser, and more pleasant Star Trek watching, but money's tight right now.

I'm kind of holding out for the free month right now, instead of a free week.

Honestly I like Paramount+ content alot more then alot of other streaming services. I love Star Trek, NCIS/CIS/Jagverse, South Park, Top Gunn, Fraiser, etc..., and looking forward to D&D show eventually. Some how the new Hellraiser movie ended up there instead of on Disney+ here in Canada for some reason. I actually watched the new Fraiser episode 1 on YouTube twice I liked it so much.

Paramount has alot of potential.

Netflix is over rated, I love Stranger Things, Kobra Kai, Sandman, Lucifer (no new episodes), and a few of its animated like cartoons like Blood of Zeus and Dragon Knight, but otherwise I don't care for the rest of its content.

Amazon Prime has 2 Broke Girls and Vex Machina and free shipping so that isn't going anywhere, although personally I use the free music more then the TV shows and movies. Plus alot of talk about a new Stargate series and movies. Plus Henry Callville's possible Warhammer 40k. Has potential if they keep Silke away from anything important. I don't want more disasters like RoP or WoT, respect the source material.

Disney+ shows increasingly suck now and I'd love to dump the service, but I have family that still like watching old marvel movies and Pirates of the Caribbean from back when Disney was still great. Maybe I'll try Dr. Who.

Peacock has nothing do far that interests me on it so far and honestly I have no idea what it has going for it.

Hulu doesn't exist in Canada.

I have Satellite so I get Cravetv for free, but they got rid of anything worth watching like the Librarbians and Star Trek from it, except Corner Gas (Canadian Comedy I highly recommend it), so it just sits there collecting digital dust now.

I here good things about Apple+, but it needs time on the vine to ripen and to make some high quality media acquisitions.

So there is at least one Streamer I can't dump, but want to, and one I wish to get, but can't afford right now.

practicalm

Explorer
While I think Netflix is still good for most people, I recently canceled my subscription because of my experience in trying to add my son as an extra user on my account. Add in that I actually was using their DVD service for shows that I couldn't get through the other services I have access to (AppleTV (paid), Max (phone freebie), Disney+ (shared), I wasn't really watching much Netflix recently.

Maybe I will go back later, but when you make it hard for people who have just volunteered to give you extra money and then are rude on the phone, I guess you don't need my money. Somehow my OTV device got unlinked to my network, the link to relink the device somehow wasn't seeing my WiFI and so I had to call in and then when I tried to explain the problem, the representative was dismissive.

I'll probably miss the access to the live comedy shows the most but I have other services to explore for now.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Netflix Top Ten first half of 2023:
The Night Agent
Ginny & Georgia S2
The glory
Wednesday
Queen Charolotte
You
La Reina Del Sur
Outer Banks
Ginny & Georgia S1
Fubar

I havent seen any of these.

MarkB

Legend
Netflix Top Ten first half of 2023:
The Night Agent
Ginny & Georgia S2
The glory
Wednesday
Queen Charolotte
You
La Reina Del Sur
Outer Banks
Ginny & Georgia S1
Fubar

I havent seen any of these.
I enjoyed Wednesday, otherwise same.

MarkB

Legend
Well, the official notification e-mails of ad-supported services are coming through. Netflix offer ad-supported access at a lower cost, while Amazon are going to make their current offering ad-supported by default, with ad-free as an option at a higher cost.

Reef

Hero
Well, the official notification e-mails of ad-supported services are coming through. Netflix offer ad-supported access at a lower cost, while Amazon are going to make their current offering ad-supported by default, with ad-free as an option at a higher cost.
With Amazon, it's really rubbing me the wrong way. It's one thing to say "Here's an ad-tier if you would like to pay less", and another to say "You're getting ads unless you pay more".

I don't know how ads in streaming shows are supposed to work anyway. In network shows, they planned for ads, and built their stories around them. Are they just going to randomly throw ads in the middle of movies and shows, with no regard to when and how it interrupts things? Like Youtube ads? That would be really obnoxious.

I have noticed while watching Percy Jackson on Disney+, that there are numerous fade to black moments where I assume Disney is planning on inserting commercials. But I don't know how that will work for existing properties not built for it.

Remove ads