Streaming Services: Power Rankings Summer 2023, and What's Up With Paramount+

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
With Amazon, it's really rubbing me the wrong way. It's one thing to say "Here's an ad-tier if you would like to pay less", and another to say "You're getting ads unless you pay more".

I don't know how ads in streaming shows are supposed to work anyway. In network shows, they planned for ads, and built their stories around them. Are they just going to randomly throw ads in the middle of movies and shows, with no regard to when and how it interrupts things? Like Youtube ads? That would be really obnoxious.

I have noticed while watching Percy Jackson on Disney+, that there are numerous fade to black moments where I assume Disney is planning on inserting commercials. But I don't know how that will work for existing properties not built for it.
I have been thinking of cancelling my Prime just because of how flea market the streaming options are. This pay extra for no ads business is the final straw.

With Amazon, it's really rubbing me the wrong way. It's one thing to say "Here's an ad-tier if you would like to pay less", and another to say "You're getting ads unless you pay more".

I don't know how ads in streaming shows are supposed to work anyway. In network shows, they planned for ads, and built their stories around them. Are they just going to randomly throw ads in the middle of movies and shows, with no regard to when and how it interrupts things? Like Youtube ads? That would be really obnoxious.

I have noticed while watching Percy Jackson on Disney+, that there are numerous fade to black moments where I assume Disney is planning on inserting commercials. But I don't know how that will work for existing properties not built for it.
Try watching something on a free ad-supported platform like Tubi where the ads sometimes line up with when the show went to commercial during it's original airing on TV, but usually not so you get the weird pauses where the show originally had an ad mixed in with the random breaks for the streaming ads.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Sounds like NBC was able to rope a lot of folks into Peacock accounts for the stream only playoff game with failphins and Chiefs. They also brag about it being the biggest live stream event in U.S. history. Looks like these streaming sports shenanigans are here to stay. :(

Sounds like NBC was able to rope a lot of folks into Peacock accounts for the stream only playoff game with failphins and Chiefs. They also brag about it being the biggest live stream event in U.S. history. Looks like these streaming sports shenanigans are here to stay. :(

NBC indicated that Saturday night’s chilly Kansas City-Miami wild-card playoff game averaged 23.0 million viewers, though it’s worth noting that figure combines both Peacock and the NBC over-the-air numbers in both Kansas City and Miami.

I think this is the year most of the streamers go profitable because of a mix of cut costs and ad revenue thanks to US political ads, which are expected to be worth 16 billion (includes issue ads), I think the total spent could actual be higher for reasons I won't get into here because it'd be too political (the crux of my point is that ad revenue for Streamers and Broadcast is going to he insane this year). It could even lead to higher ad prices.

Remove ads