The Future of Paramount+

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The good news is that the truly good shows (as opposed to the ones we enjoy despite knowing they're mediocre or worse) will almost all survive, as they'll be picked up by other distributors, as the model shifts to an online version of how broadcast and cable television worked for decades.
I'm not sure that's a model anyone can really count on. It's worked for a few good examples including Arrested Development, The Expanse, and Longmire. But I suspect the streaming services are going to get pickier as they start dealing more with a sponsorship model rather than just a subscriber model like Netflix had when it picked up both Arrested Development and Longmire.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Netflix still does, and they are number 1. And Disney+ is moving towards a full Seaspn dump now, moving forwards.
Ummmm. They have not done that yet and denied it, but then said they plan to continue to "experiment" which, in the PR world, means yeah they are looking to get out of the binge format but have contracts committing to it for now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is correct, but I think it's too late for the genie to go back in the bottle, especially because of the continuing subscriptions issue and the fact that there are an ever-increasing number of competing streaming channels.

The pattern of, "turn on a subscription for a month to binge my shows, then turn it off," is possible because the pricing structure supports it. So, eventually, we can probably expect to eventually see changes to the pricing structure that encourages different patterns.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The pattern of, "turn on a subscription for a month to binge my shows, then turn it off," is possible because the pricing structure supports it. So, eventually, we can probably expect to eventually see changes to the pricing structure that encourages different patterns.
Many services offer discounts for subscribing for an entire year. I continually find it odd that Netflix (at least here in the USA) does not. Back at the height of Black Mirror, Lost in Space, and Stranger Things, I would have locked in. Instead it was a three-month sub and then dropped for a year.

When HBOMax came out in my region, they did a 'get it at half price for as long as you stay subscribed' thing, and that is the sole reason why I am still subscribed. I just tend to game too much to passively binge-watch shows, so this arrangement has worked for me.

I'm out the moment they raise the price, ofc. Or the first time Netflix acts like our phones aren't part of our home setup. Basically, I'm just waiting for them to give me an excuse, then it's back to the high seas with a black flag again.

Remove ads