The Future of Paramount+

The pattern of, "turn on a subscription for a month to binge my shows, then turn it off," is possible because the pricing structure supports it. So, eventually, we can probably expect to eventually see changes to the pricing structure that encourages different patterns.
Sure. Though it's hard to see them doing much that actually helps them longer-term, rather than just annoying consumers. A lot of these companies seem surprisingly bad at what they're doing, too.

I see the problem is the average family that is attached to "having" streaming services likely has three...often Netflix, Disney and a sports one. But no matter how cheap they are...they add up. And you might not think three is too much, but adding four or five or more....and you are right back to the Cable Problem of having a HUGE cost entertainment bill.

And the world wide streaming just gets silly and crazy. This show is only on X in the USA, but in place Y it's on W. And sure they have silly crazy reasons....but the viewer will just be like "why can't I just watch it on W?"

And with just Star Trek....maybe Paramount+ can save the channel if they were willing to do stuff they will NEVER do:

1.Make more CHEAP Star Trek shows. So for a good 20+ years Star Trek made some really cheap shows....as they had no choice. This includes MOST of TOS and TNG. Some of the shows had tiny budgets. BUT, at the SAME TIME a LOT of those episodes STILL ARE some of the BEST Star Trek shows EVER made. Tos City on the Edge of Forever has a couple of effects and then is shot on the Paramount Backlot. It tops most lists of "best Trek shows". TNGs Measure of a Man does not have 8 million dollars of CGI spam, and basically has one set: a courtroom. And your sure to find it on any "best of TNG list".

BOTH are perfect examples of "cheap" shows they can do without 8 million of CGI spam of some new aliens getting ready to destroy the universe...again.

So how about bump up the tiny small seasons of 9-13 shows, up to 20-24, using this model?

2.License out Star Trek to production outside the USA. Star Trek is loved world wide. Why not save some money by having world wide production? I bet a lot of production companies would jump at the chance. And P+ gets a bunch of new Star Trek shows. And this expands world wide Sci-Fi. And talk about diversity!

3.Maybe the CRAZIEST idea of all......how about getting a little help from the fans? There are a TON of Star Trek fan made 'shorts" shows. Sure not all are "great", but some are at least average or better. But there are a huge pool of fans willing to make content....that P+ can buy. P+ could buy them, and make them offical...and then even make 5-10 shows 'around' them to fill them out (maybe even getting some of the fans to come back). And for that matter....there is a TON of books, novels and such. How about P+ buy them and make shows about them?

Mallus

Legend
Why? I should add here is Canada all the Star Trek shows are on CTV Sci Fi/Cravetv streaming.
Because in the US it’s on Paramount+ and there too many streaming services for the market to support. I hear Evil is good, but other than that Paramount doesn’t have much outside of a few movies.

The sad thing most of these services have legitimately great shows. Apple has several. Heck, Peacock has two (Mrs. Davis & Poker Face).

Ryujin

Legend
I see the problem is the average family that is attached to "having" streaming services likely has three...often Netflix, Disney and a sports one. But no matter how cheap they are...they add up. And you might not think three is too much, but adding four or five or more....and you are right back to the Cable Problem of having a HUGE cost entertainment bill.

And the world wide streaming just gets silly and crazy. This show is only on X in the USA, but in place Y it's on W. And sure they have silly crazy reasons....but the viewer will just be like "why can't I just watch it on W?"

And with just Star Trek....maybe Paramount+ can save the channel if they were willing to do stuff they will NEVER do:

1.Make more CHEAP Star Trek shows. So for a good 20+ years Star Trek made some really cheap shows....as they had no choice. This includes MOST of TOS and TNG. Some of the shows had tiny budgets. BUT, at the SAME TIME a LOT of those episodes STILL ARE some of the BEST Star Trek shows EVER made. Tos City on the Edge of Forever has a couple of effects and then is shot on the Paramount Backlot. It tops most lists of "best Trek shows". TNGs Measure of a Man does not have 8 million dollars of CGI spam, and basically has one set: a courtroom. And your sure to find it on any "best of TNG list".

BOTH are perfect examples of "cheap" shows they can do without 8 million of CGI spam of some new aliens getting ready to destroy the universe...again.

So how about bump up the tiny small seasons of 9-13 shows, up to 20-24, using this model?

2.License out Star Trek to production outside the USA. Star Trek is loved world wide. Why not save some money by having world wide production? I bet a lot of production companies would jump at the chance. And P+ gets a bunch of new Star Trek shows. And this expands world wide Sci-Fi. And talk about diversity!

3.Maybe the CRAZIEST idea of all......how about getting a little help from the fans? There are a TON of Star Trek fan made 'shorts" shows. Sure not all are "great", but some are at least average or better. But there are a huge pool of fans willing to make content....that P+ can buy. P+ could buy them, and make them offical...and then even make 5-10 shows 'around' them to fill them out (maybe even getting some of the fans to come back). And for that matter....there is a TON of books, novels and such. How about P+ buy them and make shows about them?
They already stomped down #3, hard, with legal jackboots.

Remove ads