Streaming Services: First 2023 POWER RANKINGS (And what's up with Prime?)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Who the hell is chasing you around, forcing you to have this discussion? You are the one who is making this a major thrust of this thread.

Are you seriously suggesting that Lord of the Rings and Star Wars have not peaked, years or decades ago?

Again, you are allowed to like something that is past its prime. But just liking something doesn't magically make it be on a creative or commercial upswing.
I agree with your point, but the works of Tolkien are in a sort of different category at this point than a lotmof "media properties": has Shakespeare peaked, or Homer...?

Someday Tolkien's stuff will be public domain, then we'll see some wild stuff. By the time Star Wars or Harry Potter are public domain, I doubt many will care that much.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Huh. I was going to say that it was unfair to Kanye. As far as I know, he's mentally ill and hasn't been funneling his money to hate causes.

I guess people are willing to excuse a lot when it comes to nerd books they like. YMMV.

Not convinced that’s what she’s done.
It is, and the only way to deny that is to willfully ignore the sheer over-encompassing weight that is her Twitter feed and every op-ed she's written in the past few years and at least one of her crappy crime novels; OR that you* generally agree that trans people shouldn't exist.

Both of which are a "you*" problem

*To be clear, this is a you in the generic sense, not in the directly personal sense

Again, you are allowed to like something that is past its prime. But just liking something doesn't magically make it be on a creative or commercial upswing.
There's a difference between an upswing and holding study (which has been my point), unlike Hitchhiker's guide things are still happening with the IP like it or not it is still bringing in massive amounts of money and despite what many would justifiably like to happen I don't see that changing anytime soon .

TheSword

Legend
It is, and the only way to deny that is to willfully ignore the sheer over-encompassing weight that is her Twitter feed and every op-ed she's written in the past few years and at least one of her crappy crime novels; OR that you* generally agree that trans people shouldn't exist.

Both of which are a "you*" problem

*To be clear, this is a you in the generic sense, not in the directly personal sense
I don’t see that she has ever said that trans people shouldn’t exist. It seems such an outrageous thing for anyone to say and I don’t believe she has ever said or indicated that. Presenting her view as that undermines everything else that sits alongside it.

Whatever you think about her as a person. She has some pretty specific concerns about single sex space spaces, domestic and sexual abuse and child protection. These issues resonate with many people… not frothing hatemongers but every day people. There will be solutions to all these challenges of course, but by turning her into public enemy number one, and subjecting her to the abuse she’s experienced, of course that’s hardening her position and because she’s a scrapper she comes back fighting in kind.

We should be persuading people to understand and solve the difficult social conflicts we need to in order to make it work. Instead I see a lot of people shutting those challenges down as transphobic, and de-platforming. Which is letting the extreme/alt-right have a field day.

i really think people are setting up the wrong enemy here. Cooler heads need to prevail in reasoned debate.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There's a difference between an upswing and holding study (which has been my point)
It wasn't a point I understood you to be making.

In any case, "the franchise is still doing great, because the old cow is still giving some milk" isn't something particularly impressive, IMO. You can buy Big Trouble in Little China merchandise to purchase nowadays, but some Funko Pops are hardly the sign of a thriving IP.

More specifically, I suspect the days of "and now, here's all the Harry Potter books, reissued in house specific covers" (a real thing) are behind us. I would bet the illustrated editions when/if they finally finish them off, will mark the point that they park the series and just keep a single paperback and a single hardcover edition in print on each side of the Atlantic, much like other in-print franchises get. (Discworld, for instance, is in the process of a multi-year rebranding like this, which includes updating all the audiobooks with new recordings.)

If the TV series actually happens and is a big success, it'll likely goose the franchise again, but we'll see if either or both of those happen. I wouldn't expect Zaslav to still be at HBOMax Discovery Max by the time it does.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don’t see that she has ever said that trans people shouldn’t exist. It seems such an outrageous thing for anyone to say and I don’t believe she has ever said or indicated that.
She amplifies and retweets people who have.

And, moreover, one of the richest humans to ever exist in the history of the world spends most of her time nowadays mocking and harassing a population of people twice as likely to kill themselves as the average person, who are also massively more likely to be physically or sexually assaulted or murdered.

There are better ways to spend your time than defending someone who sits in a literal castle deciding she can behave however she likes, because she's decided that she's the real victim in a deeply unequal power relationship.

Remove ads