• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E interview with Jeremy Crawford on Eberron: Rising from the Last War

gyor

Legend
I think they basically turned the Warforged into a robo version of Simic Hybrid (really wish they'd given it a better name).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's good to hear on the alignment, though frustrating on their only being one subclass.

From what I've heard of the "new verbiage" content is that it's also overwhelmingly Eberron nation fluff. I don't need all that stuff. I have all the 3.5 Eberron Lore, etc. I just need the updated 5e crunch and in order to get that, I now have to buy the 2nd book for what amounts to a couple of subclasses.

I'll look at it compared to the Wayfarer's when it's actually published, but I'm frustrated that it's even a decision point that I have to worry about. WotC co-produced/branded the Wayfarer's Guide, it's even on D&D Beyond for goodness sake. This book shouldn't just be a rehash of that one to any real degree.

I don't buy my D&D rule books for the art, so that means nothing to me from a decision point. I like it, but it wouldn't move me to buy a book over not.

I mean, almost the whole book is new: monsters, adventure material, etc. The Group Patron material is pretty exciting.

Last edited:

Warforged DK

Explorer
The people who are mad about Wayfinder's being obsolete or paid playtest or whatever can go suck an egg. WotC were up front about what Wayfinder's was from the very beginning. I am glad to have had the material available for the past 18 months as it opened up Eberron on the DM's Guild and breathed life into my favorite setting.
While I'm sad that the Warforged are changing, I totally understand why. Integrated protection was really strong, and there wasn't much reason not to take Envoy as your subclass.
I like the Warforged components from 3.5 and 4e. I'm really hoping for a Self-Forged feat, since there's no prestige class/Paragon path anymore. If not, then perhaps I'll homebrew one to make it work.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
The people who are mad about Wayfinder's being obsolete or paid playtest or whatever can go suck an egg. WotC were up front about what Wayfinder's was from the very beginning.

First of all that is incredibly rude.

Second, Yes, I'm also glad that we got the Wayfinder's content for 18 months. I would rather that they put all the adventure and new monster material, etc. that @Parmandur says in the new book into the new book and left all the Wayfarer's Guide as it was. I would gladly have bought both if they didn't have so much overlap.

Thirdly, WotC were up front that Wayfinders was a living document. Yes. They were upfront that it was going to be updated playtest changes yes.

However, Mike Mearls repeatedly calls Wayfinder Official content on twitter following its release for the very many people who were confused about what exactly Wayfinder's was supposed to be as it seemed ot live in this weird interstitial space.

They also made statements that the Artificer would be included once it was complete, not part of the Artificer.

So while it may have been clear to some that WotC was going to subsume the greater part of Wayfinders for a future book, it wasn't to many many people (based on the twitter from around its release) that that was going to happen.

Mike Mearls said:
Tweet
this edition is official, and we are working through the details needed to make it AL legal without interfering with the upcoming Waterdeep season

Mike Mearls said:
Tweet This is 100% official content for Eberron. Since it is an ebook, that also means we can update content with comments based on UA playtests of the races and the artificer. If we do an Eberron print product, we will design it to complement as much as possible what the PDF presents.

I don't see taking almost all the crunch from Wayfinders and putting it into another book that has the rest of the Artificer plus other new content to be "complementary".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One Subclass is the whole Class. More are not required. Mearls also said that literally all of the crunch was likely to be repeated I any future hardcover, which came to pass. We know that not all of the WGtE is being reprinted, per D&D Beyond, so I'd say keep an open mind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads