• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Into the Borderlands.

Gorg

Explorer
Since my first thread detailing my introduction to 5E got completely derailed by side conversations- then fell off the front page, I figured I'd post a new thread for the follow up stuff.

I'm playtesting a party of 4 adventurers: Bob, Fighter 4; Gary, Wizard (abjurer) 3; Paddy, Cleric of Lathander (light domain) 3; and Frank, Thief 3. And running them through the Caves of Chaos- trying out the new rules. So far, we've nearly been TPK'd by a pair of giant Black Widow spiders on the way to the ravine; Mauled by Kobolds- which we then curb stomped; And fought our way through both tribes of orcs- very nearly losing the cleric to the chieftain's mate's dagger. (0 hp, he made his death save) We then pulled back to the hidden secret room for a long rest.

Today, we resumed our exploration in what turned out to be the goblin's den. Just after we rounded the first corner (left at the 4 way), we encountered the wandering party of Gobbo's... They hollered bloody murder, and brought the 6 goblins from area 17 into the fight. Starting on round 3. 12 of anything is a tough fight, and then there's the Nimble Escape ability goblins get... We took plenty of damage, esp Frank, who was on point- and got to eat the surprise round, and was hit 3 more times in the next 3 rounds. Fairly vanilla combat, and we finished them in 6 rounds. Being low level still, meant that lots of attacks were missed, save DC's are low enough to be made much of the time, etc. 12 monsters means 12 attacks rolls, and the law of averages says some of them will connect... We then took a short break in the empty guard room to bind wounds, and regain a spell slot or two. (arcane Recovery was a nice touch)

Moving on, we explored a bit- and eventually ran into the OTHER guard room... The one where the guards throw Bubba the Half-witted (ogre) a sack of gold to come deal with problem adventurers? What a fight that was! Round 1 the wizard loses half his health to a spear in the breadbasket. Frank rolls a natural 20 on a sneak attack, totally impaling a goblin with an arrow. Next round Bubba shows up- and promptly eats Paddy's Guiding Bolt (-17 hp). Meanwhile, Gary toasts 2 goblins who tried to do and end around and get at him and Frank with Burning Hands. Both die. Then Bubba gets angry. Whacks Paddy for half his health... In return, Frank rolls ANOTHER natural 20 on a sneak attack (this time throwing his +1 hand axe) for Yuuugggee damage. Bubba turns his attention to the thief, and smashes him for 13 pts. (1/2 the party is now low on hp) Franks returns the favor with YET ANOTHER NAT 20!!! (WTH??) and drops him in his tracks. Just to drive the point home, Bob also rolls a nat 20 to kill the last goblin.

Just what the heck is going on here??? lol. I've never seen the like! What should have been a tough fight was over in 3.5 rounds, thanks to 4 separate crits.

Well, I can honestly say WoTC succeeded in streamlining combats, vs the long, drawn out fights of 3E, lol. And also that we may have earned just enough xp to get the rest of the party to 4th level.

Today's additions to the rules testing were surprise!!! (get it?) Disengage actions; hide checks; and a short rest. (inc spending a hit hie to heal damage, and regaining spell slots.)

I'm looking forward to going through the Temple!

Just what the heck is going on here??? lol. I've never seen the like! What should have been a tough fight was over in 3.5 rounds, thanks to 4 separate crits.

Almost every 5e fight is decided in 2-4 rounds. Gradually the rounds tend towards becoming more complicated affairs that take longer to play, but within the game world whenever someone draws a weapon there is going to be death within about 18 seconds. A tough fight is just one where your side has a good chance of loosing the three round fight.

When fights last longer than that is is usually because there were either initial rounds of not fully engaging (sniping at each other from behind cover or whatever), because they break down into some sort of chase, or because you make a racket and more enemies two rooms over become alerted. I think I've seen a grand total of one straightforward fight last more than 5 rounds (it involved a homebrewed enemy who both had fairly high AC and a seemingly endless ability to heal herself as a bonus action).

Remove ads