• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intoxicated

Aaron

First Post
Probably a typo here: the intoxicated condition actually partially helps the affected creature, since it reduces the damage it suffers.

Am I wrong?

Yora

Legend
Makes sense, as hit points seem to represent more of a bruised and exhausted state than actual wounds. Drugs can do wonders in such cases.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Personally, I love it. The town drunk now actually becomes harder to take down after he's had a few. Besides, the 'disadvantage' of being intoxicated is enough that most adventurers won't try it as a combat tactic.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Makes sense, as hit points seem to represent more of a bruised and exhausted state than actual wounds. Drugs can do wonders in such cases.
Plus, even when it comes to actual injury, intoxication relaxes muscles and reduces trauma, see drunk drivers surviving accidents more than the people they hit, for example.

Ichneumon

First Post
1e has rules for being drunk, which I don't remember in detail, but one of the effects was having more hitpoints.

If a drunk PC gains advantage in some way, it will cancel their disadvantage, letting them fight normally. Whether this makes 1d6 resistance per round too powerful remains to be seen. It wouldn't surprise me if the benefit gets wound back a bit.

Still, be interesting to see it in effect, and I look forward to seeing rules for how quickly the various beverages get you drunk.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think it's intentional, and it represents the psychological numbing and reduced capacity to experience pain.

Apparently, if you accidentally cut yourself with a knife while drunk (not an unlikely event) and you roll well on the d6, the knife bounces off of your skin. Just more evidence that hit points are covering too much territory (physical, psychological, and metagame).

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I'm not a fan. You might not feel the pain, but the damage is still there. And what about HP as tuning a fatal blow into a near-miss. I don't think that gets easier when you're drunk.

enrious

Yes, but HP isn't solely a reflection of one's ability to withstand physical damage - it's a throwback to the old days where it was a reflection of luck, favor of the gods, ability to avoid damage, etc.

I have no problem with it precisely because HP =/= Physical.

HP = Physical + Spirtual + Experience + Luck + A banana peel. (combat is always better with a banana peel).

Remove ads