• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invasion by who or what

On Puget Sound

First Post
Our own global information network, awakened to sentience.

Thought eaters/ dream stealers (Quori from Eberron).

Whales, finally and reluctantly deciding to fight back, and rallying the entire biosphere to rid the world of people. (For some reason they can't get the microbial life forms to cooperate; otherwise it would be trivially easy to get rid of humanity. And domesticated crops are beyond their power to control as well. But maybe not pets...)

S'mon

Legend
I always much prefer humans; humans are so much more interesting than any fictional race/species, and they can always have non-human allies. And the best non-humans are those which can be humanised with a depth & variety of human traits, like the apes in Planet of the Apes - who would make a decent 'invader race'. Blackdirge's Dungeon Denizens for 4e D&D works up the 'Zain-Kin' as an ape man monster race.

Edit: If doing a superhero game and wanting an invader race, I'd probably look to 'alternate dimensions' and the following two possibilities occur:

1. Nazis from a Nazis-won-WW2 dimension; I'd use a lot of Giant Nazi Robots and other superscience, Nazi superheroes, Nazi versions of PCs and PC-allies, etc. If the game is set in the USA I'd use Nazi-American alternates, not just Germans. Likewise for UK etc.

2. Inspired by the Zain-Kin, Roman Empire-meets-Planet-of-the-Apes Ape-Men; Ape Man Senators, Legionaries, super heroes et al. Has the advantage of being somewhat less cliched than Nazis and one could bring in other beast-man races as eg subject peoples of the Ape Men. This trick could also be used for a closer Alternate with an Ape Man USA, EU, or Russia etc as the invader.

Last edited:

Rassilon

First Post
Cybermen.

You. Will be. Like Us.

For your scenario - Cybermen from beyond the void looking to invade ALL the worlds. With superscience.

Maybe some are Psibermen. Advanced Cyborgs with mind powers. How's your itty bitty superhero doing now?

tecnowraith

First Post
I kinda reworked my setting a bit and forgot the the main reason for my invasion is I wanted standard type superhero setting fighting an epic style invasion with huge to gigantic monsters. Like take the movies Mist, Battle LA, Skyline (yeah I know), and the series V and throw in superpowered humans. So the new making be global invasion of some type supernatural origin. Not want zombies, ghosts, vampires or any type of undead or werewolves, been done to death. Something uncommon not used for horror, gothic supernatural settings.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I kinda reworked my setting a bit and forgot the the main reason for my invasion is I wanted standard type superhero setting fighting an epic style invasion with huge to gigantic monsters. Like take the movies Mist, Battle LA, Skyline (yeah I know), and the series V and throw in superpowered humans. So the new making be global invasion of some type supernatural origin. Not want zombies, ghosts, vampires or any type of undead or werewolves, been done to death. Something uncommon not used for horror, gothic supernatural settings.

Giant Ants.

(or 50 foot tall women.)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=695]techno[/MENTION]wraith
Where do these huge monstrous invaders come from?

There was a palladium book put out in the 90s which dealt with people merged with these shadow beings. To riff off that, what if there is a superhuman whose power is to tap into a parallel dimension and draw out phantasms/worst nightmares. The super is sent into a coma by an accident/fight and all these chimerical monsters start pouring into reality.

Another take would be immortal Atlanteans are returning, and have sent out a group of leviathans to prepare the world for their return. However first contact is violent and a coalition of <insert countries here> manages to kill one of the leviathans. Fortifying that tissue sample, researchers begin an "arms race" to clone the leviathan. Meanwhile the original group of leviathans splits into "loyalist" and "kill them all" factions.

Or you could go nuts and have dragons reawaken. You could really surprise the players with this one if you delay the reveal of whatnot is they're fighting. I'm imagining a Cloverfield-esque couple of first encounters, eventually scaling up to a superheroic dragon hunting mission.

C_M2008

First Post
Heroes of the past are reincarnated is the theme.

So.......
Why shouldn't the past be the invasion?

Perhaps the returned heroes are the vanguard, sent to prepare the way for the others. They subtly work against the modern world, preparing the way for their fellows (perhaps modern technology is required so that is why past heroes reincarnated instead of physically transferring themselves to the modern age). Beasts of myth and legend (hydra, dragons, giants, etc could easily be used to fulfil the large monster quotient.

Not sure of the why - perhaps the supercollider is compressing reality - consuming time from the past as part of its operations - as reality falls asunder around them past heroes come up with a desperate plan to save the worlds they know? - some sort of pseudo science explanation like that (I am aware that makes little sense in a scientific perspective, but it fits with comic super hero science).

tecnowraith

First Post
I setting is reworked into more of horror gothic theme of heroes not like Nocturnals but bit more different i hope. A secret war between all the supernatural creatures is finally out in the open, no more hiding in the shadows or fighting in alley ways but its full on war over several areas of the world. On top of that theses monstrosities from another dimension (maybe several) has broken through wreaking havoc and the players must gain the power to fight these titans if d not already powers they must gain from one of the supernaturals by joining their ranks. Its War of Darkness that has begun.

I know it sound almost like Rifts, Armageddon but I hope to a be different.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads