• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invincible PC's

Storminator

First Post
Yesterday my cleric got racked on his low ref defense.

I was completely surrounded (8 goblins of various ability in the 8 squares around me...) when the sorcerer in our party hit them all with a blast 4. Dropped me right to zero hp. :D

PS

Chimera

First Post
The other player plays a Rogue who... well, isn't that effective in combat and might spend a healing surge during an encounter.. and generally ends up with full hit points. But he doesn't engage many monsters and often is out damaged by the pure defender build fighter. I think I can hit his AC on a 12 or better most times...

To address other comments; I am the Bard in this party.

I think the Rogue player really doesn't know how to play his character effectively, which is not necessarily a knock on him but more of a note that he's a more casual player who shows up and plays his part.

Sometimes it has to be pointed out to him that moving to square X instead of Y will result in him being able to get in sneak attack damage. Sometimes he tends to move off and solo against bad guys instead of jockeying for flanking position on something already being attacked by someone else, which is what a good Rogue should be doing.

Ryujin

Legend
Nothing will help a player who simply won't play to the strengths of the class he chose. A Rogue is a natural companion to a defender, like a fighter.

We had a player who was playing a Rogue, but he refused to partner with another character in order to get combat advantage on a regular basis. He even had an excellent AC, though his NADs other than REF were pretty weak. He went for a pure charging build and rarely used it unless conditions were absolutely optimal, as when I would use Mire the Mind to make the entire party effectively invisible to one major opponent, and then follow it up with Fey Switch to drop him in exactly the right spot. He spent a great deal of his time running from combat, with less than 10 hits left.

Utterly useless. Much like me, he frequently got FORted into the dirt. In my case though, while as a striker I make a pretty weak controller, but at least I was contributing. My tactics tend to be more useful than my damage input, in most cases. Ultimately this player gave up and started to play a Warden instead. I think this is his 4th class to play in this campaign.

Remove ads