(IR) Preparations for the IR - Thread 5 (AND IT WILL BE THE LAST ONE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonedagger

First Post
Hate to contribute to the many questions :( but:
Edena. I just want to know if you have received all 3 e-mails from me?

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
To answer your question, Serpenteye:

Kas arrived with about 5 million men and women, and undead.
His arrival was known almost immediately in the Dark Union.

Unfortunately, it is not possible through any spell I know of of 9th level or less, to transport 5 million beings across a continent in 2 weeks.

If you can give me a convincing explanation of how it could be done, I will allow it.
Otherwise, Kas and his legions must march over the Crystalmists, and across the Flanaess, to reach the Dark Union.
They can make 40 miles a day (I will allow that they can even march over the mountains at that rate, thanks to 9th level magic and the undead!), so in 14 days they could travel 560 miles eastward, which puts them in Keoland.
This assumes that the races of the Crystalmists, and the Hosts of the Yeomanry and Keoland, do not interfere with the march.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
TO A NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN THE IR

Everyone, check your claims in the Lists Post.
Are they accurate?
I just spent 2 hours straight updating the Lists.

Creamsteak, check your Planar Claims.
Darkness, your PC is not listed. I need your PC's stats again, so I can put your PC on the Lists.
Maudlin, I believe I have made a serious mistake concerning your Planar Claims. Can you check the Lists and inform me if this is true?
Sollir, your Planar Claims are all good, and done. If you want to substitute devils, please tell me.

Williams has the Kettish Hills.
Kaboom has the Isles of Touv and Olman, 4 Sea Powers, Sonnmonten, Sunleai, Silvamont, Kindlemont, and Archenmont
Forsaken One has the Humanoids of the Jotens
GnomeWorks has Chauntosbergen, and the southern Hollow Highlands (PL 2)
Creamsteak has the northern Hollow Highlands (PL 3)
Kalanyr has the Humanoids of the Barrier Peaks, Crystalmists, and Hellfurnaces.
Turrosh Mak has the Humanoids of the Rakers, Haermont, Crystalmont, Esserbaudos, Usurbaudos, the Hold of the Sea Princes, the Dark Swamp, and Jearmeeh Kreemah.

CONTESTED NATIONS AND PEOPLES

RESOLVED CONTESTS

The Contest in the Amedio Rainforest is resolved.
Festy Dog has the western half, and Creamsteak the eastern half.

The Contest for the Domain of Greyhawk between GnomeWorks and Lord Melkor is over.
Lord Melkor has won, and the area is to be renamed the Shadow Throne.

The Contest for the Free City of Dyyvers between Lord Melkor and William Ronald is over.
William Ronald has won, and retains Dyvvers for the Kevellond League.

CONTESTS STILL UNRESOLVED

Darkness and John Brown are Contesting the Tusman Hills.

Lord Melkor and John Brown are Contesting the Cairn Hills.

Sollir and Turrosh Mak and Contesting Heisenbaudos.

I need resolutions of these Contests - if they cannot be resolved, I will have to make a ruling concerning who wins them.

Edena_of_Neith

Creamsteak

Explorer
My stuff looks fine... I can't tell where some of it is on the map... prolly cause its off map, but someone else might be able to help me with that... namely the mapmaker...

Serpenteye

First Post
Traveling, the easy way

Edena_of_Neith said:
To answer your question, Serpenteye:

Kas arrived with about 5 million men and women, and undead.
His arrival was known almost immediately in the Dark Union.

Unfortunately, it is not possible through any spell I know of of 9th level or less, to transport 5 million beings across a continent in 2 weeks.

If you can give me a convincing explanation of how it could be done, I will allow it.
Otherwise, Kas and his legions must march over the Crystalmists, and across the Flanaess, to reach the Dark Union.
They can make 40 miles a day (I will allow that they can even march over the mountains at that rate, thanks to 9th level magic and the undead!), so in 14 days they could travel 560 miles eastward, which puts them in Keoland.
This assumes that the races of the Crystalmists, and the Hosts of the Yeomanry and Keoland, do not interfere with the march.

Hmm. Did you disallow permanent and semipermanent teleportcircles? If so, I move only the elite of Kas's legions. If not I cast a few dozen and have the people run trough. Even if I can't make them all permanent, teleportation circle has a duration of 10 minutes a level and that should allow a few thousand to run trough one before it expires. If all of the mages who can cast it extend the spell, possibly multiple times, using epic levels, tens of thousands could pass in a casting. Hundreds of thousands could pass in a day, using all circles, and five millions in two weeks, depending on how many mages we have. If we have too few we can perhaps borrow some from our allies.

If there is a psionic equivalent to teleport circle a high level psion could manifest the power an infinite number of times using that munchy trick, of Body Fuel, Lesser Body Adjustment and some trigger feat/power, that gives an infinite number of psionic power points. I don't know the exact chain but I've read about it on the boards.

Last edited:

I claim the following planars:

_Yugoloths( we offer them technology)

-planars from Shadow Plane( souls of our enemies and chance to pray upon the living!

-planars from Negative Energy Plane( as above)

Edena about contested claim for Cairn Hills., not that is it quite far from Iuz Empie, but next to The City of Greyhawk and Hordes of Shadow should still be able to conquer it in first turn. By the way nost of Greyhawk`s population will become slaves.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Serpenteye, that is a very legitimate and compelling argument.

I have a request, though.

Let me rule that with 9th level magic and below, transporting a whole army from one place to another like you have described is not possible.

Even though you have proven that it is possible.

Why?

Because I wish to make 10th level magic, which allows for unlimited travel of your armies, something worth fighting for.
I wish people to have a good reason, and inspiration, to make the massive sacrifice necessary to develop 10th level magic.
Also, I wish to avoid a situation on Turn One where everyone's armies teleport all over the map.

I know that a lot of people want that - they want to teleport right into the enemy's lands across the map and make hay.
And I say: learn 10th level magic, and you can do that!

I was hoping that by turn 5 or so, those willing to make the sacrifice for 10th level magic will then be rewarded, and we will have armies teleporting all over the place.

Until then, allow me to rule that only some of Kas's elite troops can make the magical journey, along with Kas himself, if you so desire it.

Thus, yes ... Kas's army emerges from Tovag Baragu, and is stuck.
They must foot it to wherever they are going, and they may travel at 40 miles per day.
Remember that the map has a scale of 230 miles to the inch, so 6 days travel will take the army just over 1 inch across the map.

And I say to you, Serpenteye - learn 10th level magic. Pay the enormous price, and learn it.
Then, your armies can go where they please, not only on Oerth, but anywhere in Greyspace.

Edena_of_Neith

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
WARNING!!! PLEASE READ.

IF YOU DECLARE TO ME BY E-MAIL THAT YOU ARE SPENDING POWER LEVEL ON RESEARCHING HOW TO EMPLOY 10TH LEVEL MAGIC ...

Power Level used for magical research, cannot be used for anything else.
It cannot be used for attack.
It cannot be used for defense.
It cannot be used for anything.

If you devote your entire Power Level to magical research, YOUR POWER IS HELPLESS.
An enemy could walk in and take over your Power almost without an arrow shot.

If you devote some of your Power Level, you are considered weakened, and this will be taken into account concerning how successful your attack and defensive plans are.

That is why annoucements of Power Level allocation to magical research into 10th level magic should be e-mailed to me secretly.
So that other, hostile Powers do not know if you have weakened yourself in such research!

THE SAME RULES APPLY TO ADVANCING YOUR CIVILIZATION.
Power Level spent to progress into the Renaissance and Industrial Revolution is Power Level that is out of play - it cannot be used for attack, defense, or anything else.

BE CAREFUL AND THINK IT THROUGH BEFORE YOU ANNOUNCE TO ME VIA E-MAIL THAT YOU ARE COMMITTING POWER LEVEL TO MAGICAL RESEARCH INTO 10TH LEVEL MAGIC OR INTO ADVANCING YOUR CIVILIZATION.

Now, I have been on this computer updating the Lists, giving Maudlin information for the map, and puzzling through 50 posts and assorted e-mails, and I am tired.
I shall be off, and return tomorrow, for the start of Turn 0!

Edena_of_Neith

Bonedagger

First Post
Let's not forget that this is an IR and not a MR (Magical Revolution). Vecna will guard the secrets of 10th level magic jealously (Yes. In that case I will use his full power). He will, however, not feel the same about technology.

Just a warning. I don't want to kill any PC's (No. Not even Kas.... At least not until it become inevitable :))

Thought it would be fair to let you know.

......This is after all the IR.

Oh yes. And do remember that:"You can scry your enemies pitilessly with 10th level magic ... they cannot hide from you."

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads