IRON DM 2013--Entries, Judgements, Commentary, & Trash-Talk

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Time Out of Time by Imhotepthewise

An epic level scenario for a high powered fantasy game.

Ingredients

Secret

High Holy Days

Out of Time

Mundane Wonder

Home

Unusual Currency

Synopsis.

Graz’zt, or something equally powerful and charming, has orchestrated an attack upon himself with a group powerful enough to be useful to him but not so powerful to put himself in real danger. Through agents and minions, he leads them to believe they have a chance to take him out. He has a task, and, in true demonic fashion, wants it to be as unpleasant for those who have to perform it. Graz’zt intends the participants to live and live with the memory of the task.

DMs Corner.

In the observance of Rat Bastardry, the DM plans for this scenario by dropping hints throughout the existing campaign of Graz’zt vulnerability and the opportunity to draw him to the Prime where he will be least potent. Subtly encourage the preparation of time altering spells like Haste and, if possible, Time Stop.

The Big Event.

The party plans the big throwdown. Most will pick remote locations, plan for summoned allies, and beef up on powerful spells [see Tales of Wyre for excellent descriptions of this type of prep). Graz’zt has planned for all that.

Graz’zt will allow himself to be drawn to the Prime, but has contingencies set up in preparation for this. He is counting on the use of time altering spells similar to Haste and Time Stop, which are contingencies to the epic spell he plans to drop on the party.

If members of the party are only hasted to begin the encounter, he will allow the attack to give the party a hope of success. If they do happen to succeed in taking him out, props to them. This is unlikely. Once he is ready, he will speak the final word launching the spell. If Time Stop is used, it is negated by the fact that it automatically launches Graz’zt’s epic spell without the need for the spell completion words.

The spell completion words are spoken and time speeds up personally for those under the effects of time altering spell like Haste, even faster than that perceived under Haste. If Time Stop is cast, the caster will feel a little different than other times they have been under that spell effect. The battle around them will appear nearly still, but still perceptively moving. Describe the flecks of blood and sweat moving through the air, the slow arc of the weapons being swung, the slow puff of dust from under the horses’ hooves, the subtle expanding of magical effects, the motion of a bird’s wings beating visibly as it tries to escape the battlefield. The only beings moving ‘normally’ are those previously under the effect of a time altering spell. Anyone that was not previously affected by a time altering spell is not drawn into the effect of the epic spell. Graz’zt is gone.

The voice speaks to you out of nowhere.

“Observe the mundane wonder of pain and death that surrounds you. See the blood spray and the axe swing. The motion of the bodies. The billows of magic manifesting. The delicate motion of the bird’s wing…”

A demonic hand reaches out of nothing and a finger flicks the bird to smithereens.

“Welcome to time between time, a place you have learned to touch with arcane
knowledge. That knowledge has made you vulnerable, as well. You are in place where time is as flexible as a twisted cord.”

“I found a teacher who taught me more about the flexibility of time and how to control it. She was hesitant to do so, but I managed to convince her to reveal her secret knowledge. Such a pleasurable experience…for me. It is a shame she did not last longer.”

Great roleplaying can ensue here, not everyone has the pleasure of Graz’zt’s company without imminent death present as well.

Graz’zt explains that the teacher taught him the secrets how to flex time as needed and keep the flexing of time in place until the caster wishes it to end. There are grave costs, and the actions do not go unnoticed, but penalties for misuse of time are vague and arbitrary.

Graz’zt is not visible to the party, since he can control where he personally is in the flexibility of time. He is slightly ahead of them, rendering himself invisible to them. He has practiced his fine control of this effect.

Graz’zt says they are under no obligation to help him, and he will even send them home unharmed, but they will do so in the accelerated state until he wills it not to be so.

Graz’zt explains the task he requires.

“As you and others bend your knee to me, willingly or unwillingly, so must I, for a time, bend mine to another power. That power requires homage and gifts, and a great celebration of that great worthy is in offing. The holy, or unholy, as it were, days are coming soon. I wish to make a gift of unusual circumstance and value. If you will procure me one hundred larvae each, I will end this battle, return you to your time, and return you safely home.”

“Imagine the tale told during the high holy days of how I caused the gift to be gathered. It will be sublime. They who consider themselves my master will be further convinced of my loyalty, until it is far too late.”

The immediate question is, where is the unusual infernal/abyssal currency to be found?

“Why, all around us are souls ripe for harvest. All they require is your touch to gift them to me. Starting with all the souls immediately present, and those hiding nearby, it should not take you long to meet my humble request. Time is of no issue, so you can travel as far as you need to. Touch them with bare skin and say [in Abbysal] “crawl with the worms””.

What can the players do?

Without making this scenario too railroady, what can they do?

Overcome a ridiculously high DC to dispel Graz’zt’s epic spell. Use a wish. Find some clever way to make Graz’zt stay in their place in time so they can attack him. Convince Graz’zt that this is not a good idea. Complete Graz’zt’s task. Or some clever idea the DM has not thought of yet. Most likely, the option will drop them back into the toe to toe battle with Graz’zt on the Prime, in which case he will bug out.

If the players complete the task, they will find themselves standing in their homes, unharmed. Unharmed?

Secret – The secret knowledge of time

High Holy Days – The event Graz’zt must prepare a gift for

Out of Time – The state you are in flexible time

Mundane Wonder – Observing the minute details of the world slowed down around you

Home – Where you can freely go, but not be there while still in flexible time

Unusual Currency – Larva, official coinage of the infernal realms

Rune

Once A Fool
Round 1, Match 1 Judgement: Deuce Traveler vs. Imhotepthewise

I can't help but get the feeling that one of these entries was a little rushed. With more time dedicated to developing the premise and the resulting implications, it could make for a good adventure. With more time devoted to working out the ingredients, fitting them together, and, especially, making them relevant to the adventure and the PCs, it could have been a competitive entry. It's got the bones. The problem is, that's pretty much all there is. And the other entry? Well, let's get to it...

Deuce Traveler's untitled piece, henceforth referred to as "Untitled," is evocative. There is definitely nothing mundane about it (not even the wonder, but we'll get to that). As an adventure, it works because it has decent hooks (and, let's not forget the unwritten, but powerful, "curiosity" hook. This one brings it. The adventure takes the PCs on a journey without ever feeling like it limits their options. It looks fun to play. Finally, future developments and implications abound by the end of it. Most of the unanswered questions are the good kind--the kind the PCs get to explore in future adventures.

Imhotepthewise's piece, "Time Out of Time," is more linear. I mean, a lot more linear. The hook is a slow-play. I like the idea of subtly encouraging the PCs to choose a course of actions over the course of many games. However, the entire adventure is predicated on the assumption that the PCs actually will. That's a big problem for a hook.

As a side-note, as far as Rat Bastardry goes, "bait and switch" is a dangerous one to use, because it can leave the players feeling cheated. That said, given that this is Graz'zt, if handled very subtly (and some advice on that would have been nice), it could work out pretty well.

And then the adventure begins. Or, really, the scenario, because that's all there is, here. The PCs are to run around and collect larvae and then they get to go home.

What about the ingredients?

"Time Out of Time" uses Secret as something Graz'zt knows about the nature of time and the PCs do not. In no way is this secret ever presented as something the PCs can learn and take advantage of. I think the stronger use of the ingredient is actually Graz'zt's plan to get adventurers to do dirty work for him. That, at least, is something the players will interact with.

The High Holy Days are neither, high, nor holy, and, given the nature of time, I'm not even sure if they're days. One thing I'm sure of is that they seem entirely incidental to the entry. If they were not an ingredient, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been mentioned.

The Out of Time ingredient was handled better. It is a location/state that the players definitely interact with, even if the entry missed a great opportunity to let the players play around with it.

Mundane Wonder. Using the words does not equate to using the ingredient.

Home is the place the PCs get to go after they complete their task. That's it. This is in no way relevant to the adventure, itself--and this is somewhat disappointing, because it could have been, given the moral ambiguity (hell, the moral corruption) implicated in the task set before the PCs. 'Cause some of those souls that they give over to Graz'zt could hit close to home...

Which brings us to the Unusual Currency. I'm sure there's some symbolic reason that the souls are manifest as larvae in this scenario. Something about a state of being unfinished--in development. I can totally buy them as an infernal currency. I really like the implications that the PCs are not just doing something gross--they are doing something morally abhorrent for Graz'zt. What I don't like is that it is presented as the only reasonable course of action (and not just by Graz'zt). I think this ingredient--clearly the strongest of the bunch--had a lot of promise, but, like all of them, needed a little more attention and fleshing out.

"Untitled" ain't perfect, either, but it's got some great flavor.

The High Holy Days are significant as an element of the adventure--their nature is critical to the flow of the adventure. Also, I am somewhat amused because I have a deity in a long-running game named Rotdoc. Also an anagram.

Out of Time is a thematic ingredient manifest in several ways throughout the adventure. Primarily, it is used to describe the effect of time-stopping that the creature/house K'Rikkt uses (or that uses it). On another level, the "Time is Money" theme/ingredient has some interesting implications when you consider a few things. Like, for instance, if the PCs have to pay good times to K'Rikkt, does Obbins? And if he does, does he have many good days left? He might be pretty close to running out of time, himself. Then, of course, the PCs actually have to race against time to escape K'Rikkt when he goes home. All in all, a very good use of the ingredient.

The Mundane Wonder is certainly wonderful, but is there really anything mundane about a time-stopping clock inside a time-traveling creature?

As for the use of Home, what can I say? Wow. Making the creature, K'Rikkt, Obbins' actual home was inspiring. Making it's driving motivation (after the PCs encounter it, anyway, to return to it's home is clever. Another strong ingredient.

And then we get to the Unusual Currency. Time is money, and money is consumed. Not only that, but good times taste good. Bad times taste bad. Yeah. I love this creature, but I don't ever want to meet it. This is the creepiest and coolest part of an already creepy and cool adventure. And the complications it can cause? Oh my.

Imhotepthewise, I'm sorry to see such a rushed entry from you--sincerely, because I like where you were going with it. There is a lot of potential packed into the scenario you presented. It's just that the entry needed more development to bring it out. I truly believe you have what it takes to compete in these tournaments, but I suggest you think more about your ingredients--particularly their relationships between each other and with the players! I think if your adventure hadn't seemed so rushed, it would have seemed less linear, so I can't fault you on that, but I do think you should spend some more time fleshing out the whole next time around. Good luck to you!

Deuce Traveler, you will advance to Round 2!

Rune

Once A Fool
Round 1, Match 2: Wicht vs. MortalPlague

[MENTION=221]Wicht[/MENTION] and [MENTION=62721]MortalPlague[/MENTION], you have 24 hours to post your entries to this thread. Please include a list of ingredients at the beginning of the entry and please do not edit your post once it is submitted. Please refrain from reading your opponent's entry until after you have posted your own. You are on your honor to do so.

Your ingredients are:

Poison Pill

Decrepit Bridge

Hearsay

Hallowed Ground

Heresy

Wealth of Information

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Thanks Rune, I appreciate it and am happy you liked the adventure. Hope to see you around in the future contests, [MENTION=976]Imhotepthewise[/MENTION] . You definitely know your lore.

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Thank you Deuce and Rune, it was great fun to finally participate in the game. Deuce, your writing is tight and you are a worthy adversary. Rune, I appreciate the time you take with this and your honest and fair judgement. I hope to make it in again next time.

By the way, Graz'zt is on the phone for both of you.

Rune

Once A Fool
By the way, [MENTION=34958]Deuce Traveler[/MENTION] and [MENTION=976]Imhotepthewise[/MENTION], if you two would like to elaborate on your creative processes for this match, I think we'd all find it interesting and insightful.

In particular, I'm be curious to know how the basic premises formed themselves in your minds.

Remove ads