IRON DM 2020 Tournament Thread

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Again, I agree with all criticisms of my piece, though I think I may have been a little too down on it myself when I first posted it (you'll see my rather negative comments, and the name was added last as a tongue-in-cheek double-label.) I wrote the vast majority of it in the last few hours of my time-slot. I think I had a much better idea that would have taken me much longer to write, and I didn't have the time (I can fire off D&D pretty fast, but I've never created a Call of Cthulhu story before, and I'm not terribly versed in the lore - it would have required research to write properly, and I just did not have the time.)

The minecart chase was the only thing that survived from my original ideas, but even that held me up, as I spent far too much time fleshing it out, all of which I ended up cutting for space, so it was a total waste of time.

The second time I called out that the "things" in (her pot) were "best left unnamed" that @Rune found unnecessary (and mildly annoying) was actually a joke! I saw that I'd written those words (with only the intention of suggesting that you probably wouldn't want to eat what's in there) and I bolded them because I found it funny. I understand why the judges mostly ignored it, of course.

I find it amusing that I lost points on the Hag's Weird Magic, when I only made her a hag at all when I read that a Hag (in 5e Volo's Guide) has an entire section that begins: "Over the course of a seemingly endless lifetime, a hag typically discovers or creates several unusual ways to use magic. The weird magic that hags can call upon comes in a number of forms and with various means of activation. Even those who have read scholarly books about hag lore can’t predict what a particular hag might have up her sleeve."

(I probably should have just made up my own thing, rather than to expect that usage to be recognised in my entry).

@Iron Sky 's entry was awesomely ambitious! While I had as much trouble reading it as the judges, I kept thinking "this is great stuff!" while doing it, and I didn't think I'd have much of a chance against it. I'm very happy for the win, in that I get to keep playing, but I feel a bit like I've lucked out! I will do my best to be worthy of the win and give you something better next.

Gonna be tough to beat @humble minion though! I've loved every one of their entries.

Wicht

Hero
I find it amusing that I lost points on the Hag's Weird Magic, when I only made her a hag at all when I read that a Hag (in 5e Volo's Guide) has an entire section that begins: "Over the course of a seemingly endless lifetime, a hag typically discovers or creates several unusual ways to use magic. The weird magic that hags can call upon comes in a number of forms and with various means of activation. Even those who have read scholarly books about hag lore can’t predict what a particular hag might have up her sleeve."

(I probably should have just made up my own thing, rather than to expect that usage to be recognised in my entry).
I have played 5e in one campaign. I must confess to not being as well versed in the edition-specific vocabulary as all that. My current RPG reading is the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition, newest Runequest and Pathfinder 2e. I have a wide exposure to a plethora of systems, but no longer the time to become the true master of most of them.

So, yes, at least in my case, it is probably better not to assume intuitive connections made from specific splatbooks. :)

Though, that being said, I understood in this case what you were trying to do with it but it did make it a little generic in its usage.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
To be fair, I'm a huge fan of 5e, run it, have all the books, and I still didn't make that connection.

Never count on judges making setting specific connections. I've sworn I'm never going to write another Eberron adventure for this contest, and that's for good reason.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
To be fair, I'm a huge fan of 5e, run it, have all the books, and I still didn't make that connection.

Never count on judges making setting specific connections. I've sworn I'm never going to write another Eberron adventure for this contest, and that's for good reason.
Yeah, I should have assumed that people wouldn't get it, when I didn't know about it myself until I found it by fluke while looking up the spell "Weird" on D&D Beyond (to see if I could use it), and yet I've read Volo's at least a few times. (I've read all of the 5e books, other than Acquisitions Inc, which I only skimmed.)

I had meant to give it an in-story context anyway, seeing as I don't really intend for the adventure to be 5e per se (though it's pretty obviously so) but I guess I forgot to or I left it out for space.

What can I say, I was in a hurry to get it done.

Rune

Once A Fool
Round 3, Championship Match: FitzTheRuke vs humble minion

@FitzTheRuke and @humble minion, you have 48 hours to post your entries to this thread. Please limit your entry to a title, a list of the ingredients used and 2000 additional words. Be aware: if you include descriptions of your ingredients with the ingredients list, those descriptions will count against your word-limit! Entries that exceed their word-limits will be considered to end once they reach that limit; everything after will be ignored.

The judges will be using Wordcounter.net to ensure that our counts are consistent.

Please include your list of ingredients at the beginning of the entry and please do not edit your post once it is submitted. Please refrain from reading your opponent's entry until after you have posted your own. You are on your honor to do so.

Entries that are between 1 and 59 minutes late will have their word-limits reduced to 1800. Later entries that are at less than 1 day late will have their word-limits reduced to 1400. Entries that are at least 1 day late will have their word-limits reduced to 1000. Entries that are at least 2 days late may be disqualified at the discretion of the judge with consent from the match's opposing competitor.

Your ingredients are:

Psychic Scream
Former Parrot
Pink Unicorn
Awakened Witch
Time Stop
Pregnant Moment
Swoop
Turtles All the Way Down

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Got em. That’s a hell of an ingredient list...

Good luck to @FitzTheRuke and may the best me win... ;)
Yup. Them's some serious words there.

Have fun with them, @humble minion! You'll need it! [/smack]

EDIT: Uh... I think I meant to say you're gonna need "good luck". (You're gonna need fun? How does that make sense?) I'm not very good at smack-talk, I see.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Round 3, 3rd Place Match: el-remmen vs Iron Sky

@el-remmen and @Iron Sky, you have 1 hour (until 3 p.m. EST) to post your entries to this thread, using the ingredients provided. You do not have a word-count, but all ingredients must be used and judges are free to penalize late entries as they see fit. Please do not edit your post once you submit.

Ingredients
Ship Mast
Dinosaur Bandits
Lone Survivor
Golden Egg
Rough Transition
Laser Sword

Remove ads