IRON DM General Discussion

Rune

Once A Fool
Sure it will! I was using the name to refer to what GBBO calls it when they give everyone the same ingredients and minimal instructions and say make X.
How does that differ from the rest of the show?

Serious question – I’ve never seen it.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
How does that differ from the rest of the show?

Serious question – I’ve never seen it.
Each episode consists of:

First round: Signature Challenge - make a kind of thing (or based on a theme) you may have had time to practice b/c you know ahead of time. Your "signature dish" People have between 1 and 3 hours (usually)

Second round: Technical Challenge: Given some obscure and difficult thing to make. Everyone gets same amount of ingredients and minimal instructions (like "Make the dough" vs. make X kind of dough with this part of the ingredients). Everyone is judged blindly and ranked and then revealed who ranked where. Given 1 to 3 hours.

Third Round: Show Stopper - some huge centerpiece baked item or items that you probably had a chance to plan and practice. Usually people bring in special ingredients and diagrams or serving plates from home. They usually get 4 to 5 hours for it.

Wicht

Hero
If you intend for judges to rank entries against each other, then I agree with Nemm that all ingredients need to be standardized. But I will reiterate that I don’t think ranking entries against each other is necessary.
We could just have each judge assign 0-2 points for each ingredient used, and how well it was used I suppose (score for each round would be between 0 and 16 points.)

To the issue of drop-outs, it is a valid concern. The only way to mitigate it would be to have secret scores I think. If we did each score as a standalone, however, it would probably keep the submissions a lot closer in points.

Rune

Once A Fool
We could just have each judge assign 0-2 points for each ingredient used, and how well it was used I suppose (score for each round would be between 0 and 16 points.)
I don’t think that range is granular enough, given the context. And it doesn’t account for other important ingredient-functions, like how well they support each other. And how well that support enhances the structure of the entry.
To the issue of drop-outs, it is a valid concern. The only way to mitigate it would be to have secret scores I think. If we did each score as a standalone, however, it would probably keep the submissions a lot closer in points.
Maybe a public ranking at the end of each round, but secret scores throughout the competition?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Archiving Update:

Just finished IRON DM Winter 2003 (which started less than a month after HOLIDAY IRON DM 2002). So that's three down.

Things I noticed in this tourney:
1. Mixed feelings about entries based on existing properties (a Narnia-inspired redux of C.S. Lewis's work got disqualified and a warning about Five Deadly Venoms use)
2. The beginning of concern about how long entries were getting
3. Suggestions about how to choose contestants in a fairer manner, b/c so many people want to play - but there have been a lot of frequent players.

IRON DM Summer 2003 is next (incognito mentioned a Spring 2003 event with a round-robin style competition, but I cannot find it - don't know if it started and it did, if it finished but was swallowed by time and the vagaries of forum backends)

EDIT: I did more searching and it looks like after running a successful IRON DM Winter in 2003, incognito only posted one more thread (the day of the final judgement) and then never posted or took part in IRON DM again that I can find. He was last "seen" on the board in 2005, but that is still two years of silence - if we assumed that was when he left for good.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Archiving Update:

Just finished IRON DM Winter 2003 (which started less than a month after HOLIDAY IRON DM 2002). So that's three down.

Things I noticed in this tourney:
1. Mixed feelings about entries based on existing properties (a Narnia-inspired redux of C.S. Lewis's work got disqualified and a warning about Five Deadly Venoms use)
2. The beginning of concern about how long entries were getting
3. Suggestions about how to choose contestants in a fairer manner, b/c so many people want to play - but there have been a lot of frequent players.

IRON DM Summer 2003 is next (incognito mentioned a Spring 2003 event with a round-robin style competition, but I cannot find it - don't know if it started and it did, if it finished but was swallowed by time and the vagaries of forum backends)

EDIT: I did more searching and it looks like after running a successful IRON DM Winter in 2003, incognito only posted on more thread (the day of the final judgement) and then never posted or took part in IRON DM again that I can find. He was last "seen" on the board in 2005, but that is still two years of silence - if we assumed that was when he left for good.
Pretty sure that spring tourney never happened; Seasong was defending champ for Summer 2003.

Edit: incognito made a brief appearance in the Summer 2003 thread.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Pretty sure that spring tourney never happened; Seasong was defending champ for Summer 2003.

It didn't. The cross-chatter in Summer 2003 (the first one you judged!) says as much - and everyone is in the dark about incognito's fate. It might be 18 years on, but I hope he's okay!

Rune

Once A Fool
It didn't. The cross-chatter in Summer 2003 (the first one you judged!) says as much - and everyone is in the dark about incognito's fate. It might be 18 years on, but I hope he's okay!
Piratecat emailed him further in.

I’ve...uh...been through that thread a few times. Always reminds me how green I was.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Always reminds me how green I was.
kermit the frog GIF

Remove ads