Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

EricNoah said:
For now, my "solution" to the issue of converting monsters is...
b) give it a class defense bonus equal to 1/2 its class levels. Typically the class in question is the NPC warrior. I may also use two home-brewed NPC classes (the Brute -- a "lite" barbarian; and the Bandit -- a "lite" rogue), and in those cases I might grant a slightly higher class defense bonus.

I'd guess that 3/4 would be more appropriate. 1/2 is a low DB and 1/1 is high, so I'd say most creatures should fit into average unless you think they deserve the 1/1. I think we may be missing some aspects of armor's impact on AC, though, so that might get all changed up.

mearls

Hero
I should probably wait until I have a copy of the rules before trying to clear things up. I last really looked at the game... maybe 4 months ago? It's been weird moving from Malhavoc to Paizo to WotC while this book was in production. There may have been changes that I haven't seen.

I can try to answer questions in the coming weeks, but I'm very busy at the moment. WotC is keeping me really busy!

The long and short of the mana thing is the limit listed is the amount of mana you can use in one day. If you go above that, there's rules for side effects.

For the pact, you can only have access to one pact at a time. You can't promise your soul to more than one demonic entity at once. They talk to each other, you know.

EricNoah

Adventurer
mearls said:
They talk to each other, you know.

Oh believe me I know. *cackles*

Thanks Mike -- I'm looking forward to tomorrow! And I know you'll do your best to answer our questions as best you can. Do you think you'll want to tackle them all in one location (the Malhavoc boards, for example) or will you make it back here?

Aldarc

Legend
Well this question isn't related to Iron Heroes, but Mike, could you give us any hints as to perhaps future projects that you may be working on at Wizards?

mearls

Hero
EricNoah said:
Oh believe me I know. *cackles*

Thanks Mike -- I'm looking forward to tomorrow! And I know you'll do your best to answer our questions as best you can. Do you think you'll want to tackle them all in one location (the Malhavoc boards, for example) or will you make it back here?

I probably should answer them at the Malhavoc boards, but after the disaster that was trying to answer questions for Book of Iron Might*, I'll probably jump from board to board. The interface here is sooooo much easier to use.

*I went through a 40+ post thread, and typed up a post that answered every single question in the thread. I used HTML to mark up a few things. I tried posting. The system told me I couldn't use HTML in EZ Board posts. Rather than try to preserve my message or give me a warning, it just deleted it. That was 4 hours of work down the drain. Since then, I haven't posted much there. It's doubly annoying when, as a programmer, I know that it would be trivial for EZ board to preserve the message and allow you to edit it.

mearls

Hero
Aldarc said:
Well this question isn't related to Iron Heroes, but Mike, could you give us any hints as to perhaps future projects that you may be working on at Wizards?

I work on the D&D RPG and the miniatures game. I don't think either product I'm working on has been announced, so I can't say anything. IIRC, they won't be out until mid-2006 at the earliest.

If I did say anything, they'd feed me to the gelatinous cube!

EricNoah

Adventurer
Well, as this thread is sort of an "ask a guy who has the book what's in the book" thread, maybe there should be a separate "ask Mike Mearls to clarify/explain stuff in the book once you get your own copy" thread?

If no one has started one by the time I get my PDF copy (and have my first question), I'll start one up here in the d20 System forum and cross link the threads.

Knight_Arothir said:
What do the armour and weapons lists look like? Basic D&D stuff, or totally different lists? How about armour and weapon illustrations - I'm hoping they look more reasonable than the Player's Handbook cyberpunk armour.

Illustrations more rough - espcially the weapons. Armor not 'punk. But no new weapons or armor at all, I'm afraid.

allright everybody. August 1st coming up. Have fun with the book when you get your grabby hands on it. If there's anybody with questons tomorrow, I will have to answer them from memory.
Not sure that my boss is as interested in IH as you guys ;)

:)

Remove ads