• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

A'koss

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Someone wanted me to post my first attempts at character building. I'm the first to admit I haven't built a d20 character by hand in ages. So, here we go, no etools or nothin' ... :D
Very cool Eric, thanks!

Damn, that Berserker can unload... unreal.

EricNoah

Adventurer
A'koss said:
Very cool Eric, thanks!

Damn, that Berserker can unload... unreal.

Yeah, that Mighty Build trait in play there...

I think I shorted him one berserker ability now that I'm looking harder...

A'koss

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Yeah, that Mighty Build trait in play there...

I think I shorted him one berserker ability now that I'm looking harder...
Yoinks. Does that mighty build have any kind of prerequisite (eg. Str)? I think I may have to make a WM build with that trait, then prehaps the Weapon Bond trait to get the Bastard Sword proficiency and Dex shift to attacks... Yum!

P.S. I just had a glance over the Arcanist build - he seems very weak in comparision to the other classes. Have I missed something?

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
A'koss said:
Yoinks. Does that mighty build have any kind of prerequisite (eg. Str)? I think I may have to make a WM build with that trait, then prehaps the Weapon Bond trait to get the Bastard Sword proficiency and Dex shift to attacks... Yum!

P.S. I just had a glance over the Arcanist build - he seems very weak in comparision to the other classes. Have I missed something?

He is missing his Mastery Level 1 spells for the remaining spell schools (Illusion, Divination, etc.) -- this sheet is for a one-shot and I don't want to overwhelm the player. So he's a lot more flexible than the sheet might suggest. He can perform mastery 1 conjuring, divination, illusion.

Other than that... he's a spellcaster; he's gonna get knocked around like a D&D wizard. And I may not have built him as "optimally" as I could have.

Edit: as I look over it, he's a lot more like a D&D cleric than a wizard. He's got armor. He's a buffer, a protector, a smidge of healer, with very little "wizard" firepower. So maybe think of him like that.

Last edited:

A'koss

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Edit: as I look over it, he's a lot more like a D&D cleric than a wizard. He's got armor. He's a buffer, a protector, a smidge of healer, with very little "wizard" firepower. So maybe think of him like that.
Well, even if he is just a "support guy", magical in-combat healing and buffing are always welcome.

(provided they work... :p )

Cheers!

Kunimatyu

First Post
Two major issues that haven't been discussed yet -- saves and death.

Rolling a 1 on a save doesn't autofail, though a 20 still succeeds.

Once you're at -10 hp or below, you must roll a fort save every round (DC = negative hp) or die.

Big changes, if you ask me.

There also don't appear to be rules for binding/summoning outsiders or elementals, which is a little disappointing. Creating abberations is possible at the higher levels, though.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Kunimatyu said:
There also don't appear to be rules for binding/summoning outsiders or elementals, which is a little disappointing. Creating abberations is possible at the higher levels, though.

Yeah there are some definite holes in the things magic can do in IH, as compared to D&D. For example, am I missing it or is there no teleportation type power? That's an interesting omission...

A'koss

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:
Two major issues that haven't been discussed yet -- saves and death.

Rolling a 1 on a save doesn't autofail, though a 20 still succeeds.
That is a big change... interesting. The new rules for dying were actually touched upon earlier in this thread and are indeed quite cool. However I didn't get an answer to a question I had about it - if you are stabilized at -10 or lower, do you still have to make Fort Saves every round? Reserve Point recovery is 1 HP per minute, so recovery that way is tough.

There also don't appear to be rules for binding/summoning outsiders or elementals, which is a little disappointing.
Yes, that is too bad...

A'koss

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Yeah there are some definite holes in the things magic can do in IH, as compared to D&D. For example, am I missing it or is there no teleportation type power? That's an interesting omission...
And this is a good thing IMO. I also hope there are no Save or Die spells or story-breaking divinations.

P.S. Add resurrection to that list too... ;)

Driddle

First Post
Turanil said:
do you feel this system is overpowered (compared to normal d20)?

the system is not "overpowered" within its own environment. remember, you're not transplanting a bunch of hungry tigers to a prairie dog colony.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads