Iron Heroes - Why?

What Primarily Attracts You To Iron Heroes?

• Poll closed .

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I'm curious about something. How many people here who like Iron Heroes like it primarily because they're sick of the Christmas-tree-of-magic-items of standard D&D, and how many like it primarily for other reasons?

For my single self, I do like the simplicity of not needing magic items - but not having ever had a huge problem with the old Christmas tree per se, I like Iron Heroes for other reasons - mostly that it's a warrior-focused game where the warriors are interesting to play mechanically.

Insight

Adventurer
I'm purely going from what I've read of Iron Heroes, since I don't own the book myself. It seems much more like what I want from epic fantasy than standard D&D. It has a lot to do with not having to rely so heavily on items, but also that characters can do a lot more interesting things in combat.

I say all of this neither actually reading the book nor seeing how it plays. Time will tell, I suppose.

Khairn

First Post
I agree with the poster above ... where is the option for A,B and C.

I've always wanted a system that meshes well with low/rare magic settings, and IH fits that to a T.

A'koss

Explorer
I would also say A, B & C as well as another big plus for me - having the game geared so that no specific roles need to be filled in the party....

Odhanan

Adventurer
I would have liked to be able to select several choices in this poll. Plus, add the "it's closer to what I think fantasy RP is about than D&D" choice, and the "Other" choice for all the people liking IH but not for the reasons you could see.

That said, I think I like IH primarily because I can create much more magical games with it than D&D. Yes, "more." Because what is not there is more "magical". There is an eerie feeling about magic. If it's quantified, available to all and known down to the last details by anyone, it is no longer "arcana", no longer "magical".

Iron Heroes proposes to play fantasy characters. The kind of characters who may be surprised, frightened, awed by magic if they *ever* see some. It's a game charged with potentialities in that regard. It's a game in which the characters start with a real possibility of discovery and a sense of marvel about the world surrounding them. Add to this that the mechanics themselves give us fighting styles that will be as interesting as wizards (in their tactical options) to play at the game table, in a dynamic style that divorces at long last from the [roll d20> touch > roll damage] mechanic that was framed and made combats bland potentially, and you've got a great game.

I'm in love with IH and the doors it opens at my game table.

I voted primarily 1, but 2 and 3 apply to me as well.

I don't like the proposed magic system - not only does it have huge balance problems that are being covered in different threads, but I don't like making magic dangerous. That's not much fun for the PC. I'd rather just see it scaled down to meet the power level of non-spellcasters. (I've only seen this done once, in Alternity, and only for psionics.)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
mhacdebhandia said:
For my single self, I do like the simplicity of not needing magic items - but not having ever had a huge problem with the old Christmas tree per se, I like Iron Heroes for other reasons - mostly that it's a warrior-focused game where the warriors are interesting to play mechanically.

I agree, but I voted "jerk" just to be a jerk.

Remove ads