Iron Kingdoms or Eberron or Dark Legacies ???

Beastman

First Post
Hi @All...

I need a change in campaign setting style...

So please tell me the difference (setting and rules wise) between Eberron, DArk Legacies and the Iron Kingdoms campaign settings...Are these compareable (both are fantasy-steampunk, aren't they) and if so where are the differences and what is unique to each...

Thanx for help

Last edited:

ReignMan

First Post
Wouldn't say Ebberon was steampunk, more high magic, liberally interperated, good if yoou want tranditional D&D with a twist of Intreauge and a few fun differences. IK is a great setting (having played both), Witchfire trillogy is a superb adventure set. But this is very low magic setting with steampunk and a few monster artifacts around if you know where to look.

Psion

Adventurer
Eberron: Designed to use the D&D rules as-is, with a few add ons.

Iron Kingdoms: A bit more different than the norm D&D, with more drastic changes in available character options.

Dark Legacies: Total shift in feel of game, totally new classes and other character options.

Red Spire Press

First Post
Eberron: Very high magic, D&D showcase with very broad setting elements from dinosaurs to magic trains.

Iron Kingdoms: Pure steampunk, with focus on firearms and lots of technology, normal magic but some limitations on healing.

Dark Legacies: Post-apocalyptic low-magic fantasy, very dark, monotheistic religion, demonic magic, some steampunk elements but mostly used as background, no firearms.

Having played and DMed all 3:

Eberron: High "low magic" with interesting "mishmosh" of different archetypes. Is more "lighter" than the other settings. More traditional than the other 2 settings.

Iron Kingdoms: Not really steampunk- Very interesting setting with "Mechanika" - the blend of magic and technology; is a lot more grittier than Eberron with "less area" but "more developed" campaign setting. Lots of fun once you get the hang of it (harder to do so than Eberron).

Dark Legacies: Darker and more vicious than the other 2 settings with some very cool game mechanics and plot lines- think a post apocalyptic world which is decadent etc.

I would recommend all 3 but my preference is DL and IK over Eberron since they are grittier- not sure about being able to sustain a long term campaign in DL (similar to my trouble with DMing long term in Ravenloft- might be a DMing style thing where the setting is too dark to sustain the characters long term for me)

Good answers, making the reply I was going to type superfluous.

Just don't make me choose between the three; they are my three current favorite settings!

Beastman

First Post
robertsconley said:
Look at Wilderlands of High Fantasy if you want to try a gritty sword & sorcery feel. It is laden with tons of details that really help a GM get a campaign going. Yet the background story is deliberatly vague so you can make the campaign your own.

http://www.necromancergames.com

I'm not searching for (standard/pure) fantasy, nor scifi, nor pulp. The three mentioned above are the only ones I consider at the moment (and my players would be interested in)

I want something other in tone...i played on FR (currently too high magic for me), i have Conan (currently my players not wanting to play there) and Midnight (same as with conan) and GH (*arrg*, no more please)...so no more pure fantasy for me (at least at the moment).

I do also not have the budget to buy two or more settings, nor am i willing to spent money on that many books ;-)

So, thanx for all the posts until thus far. Currently i have a tendecy towards DL...

Last edited:

Remove ads