• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is 4E a 'Rules Light' Game?

Haven't gotten the books, yet, but I did get to look through the 4E Player's Handbook for a couple of hours, this afternoon.

For those that have played 4E, do you consider it to be "Rules Light" compared to 3.Xe?

Thanks!

Khuxan

First Post
Hrothgar Rannúlfr said:
Haven't gotten the books, yet, but I did get to look through the 4E Player's Handbook for a couple of hours, this afternoon.

For those that have played 4E, do you consider it to be "Rules Light" compared to 3.Xe?

Thanks!

Definitely. Rules light but robust, if that makes sense.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It's certainly lighter than 3e, but overall, I wouldn't call it a rules light game what with all the powers and tactical options.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Nikosandros said:
It's certainly lighter than 3e, but overall, I wouldn't call it a rules light game what with all the powers and tactical options.

Yep. This. Definitely rules lighter than 3.x, but not rules light for sure.

Dausuul

Legend
I wouldn't say rules-light, more like rules-encapsulated. The overarching rules of the game, the ones that apply to everybody everywhere, have been very much stripped down and simplified. But each class and monster and magic item has its own little package of internal rules. The end result is that you have just as many rules as before--in fact, you have more--but fewer of them apply in any given situation, and it's easy to see which ones do apply.

WotC calls it exception-based design. I call it object-oriented gaming. :)

Last edited:

Sammael

Adventurer
Having DMed the Game Day adventure today, my opinion is that 4E is just as rules-heavy as 3.x, and in some ways, it is more arbitrary and illogical. Sure, a lot of stuff got left on the cutting floor, but new stuff was created to replace it, and it's not always better than the old stuff...

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Considering I had to unlearn a lot of what I had previously learnt, I think 4e is easier and more logical than 3e.

The rules make more sense and are easier to remember and impliment.

They have removed a lot of 'corner case' rules, but I think that removes a lot of clutter. As a DM, if a corner case breaks the intent of the rules I'll go with my gut on it.

Rabbitbait said:
Considering I had to unlearn a lot of what I had previously learnt, I think 4e is easier and more logical than 3e.

The rules make more sense and are easier to remember and impliment.

They have removed a lot of 'corner case' rules, but I think that removes a lot of clutter. As a DM, if a corner case breaks the intent of the rules I'll go with my gut on it.

Yeah, they've removed a lot of the exceptions. That can result in some odd conditions now, such as a prone Ochre Jelly. I'm inclinde to just address these things logically as they arise. Unfortunately, the logical approach is not always obvious.

For example, if an Ochre Jelly is knocked prone, should it get a +2 bonus to all defenses against ranged attacks from nonadjacent enemies.

I can imagine it being set a-quiver, and therefore granting combat advantage to its enemies. But getting +2 defence against ranged attacks? Hmmmm...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads