• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is 4E a 'Rules Light' Game?

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
It's lighter than 3E/3.5 but not really light.

What helps a lot is that the monsters have a lot of their special abilities spelled out right there, so no referring to another page is required.

That saves time and puts a lot of the special rules in the hands of the players.

BluSponge

Explorer
The PHB gives you your answer:

"Simple rules, many exceptions."

Those exceptions are what keep it from being a rules lite game. 4e is certainly lighter on the rules side than 3/3.5, which is to say it is more rules lite than Rolemaster, GURPS, or HERO. But compared to true "rules lite" games (RISUS, Over the Edge, Castle Falkenstein, Dragonlance 5th Age: SAGA, etc.) it is still pretty heavy.

Tom

Pbartender

First Post
BluSponge said:
4e isn't fully cooked? Half baked? Incomplete? What exactly does this comment mean? :p

You have a gross misconception of the term...

Al dente.

[bq]In cooking, the adjective al dente (pronounced /ɑːlˈdɛnteɪ/) describes pasta and (less commonly) rice that has been cooked so as to be firm but not hard. "Al dente" also describes vegetables that are cooked to the "tender crisp" phase - still offering resistance to the bite, but cooked through. It is often considered to be the ideal form of cooked pasta. Keeping the pasta firm is especially important in baked or "al forno" pasta dishes. The term comes from Italian and means "to the tooth" or "to the bite", referring to the need to chew the pasta due to its firmness.[/bq]

As an analogy for the "liteness" of the 4th Edition rules, I think it's quite appropriate.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
It's a very easy comparison between 3.5 and 4, I really don't understand how people can think it's lighter.

I made a list of differences between 3.5 and 4 for when I ran 4 so my 3.5 players wouldn't have to spend hours going over the books. The games are very similar. 4E combat actually has more steps and more rules than 3.5 and combats typically take longer because of it, but 3.5 has more out-of-combat rules.

4E has less special power rules, i.e. less wizard and cleric spells, but has just turned those into more complicated magic item rules, rituals, and added powers for every class and race.

The simplest comparison would be the size of the PHB. They're the same, and it isn't because of fluff text. Yes, magic items got folded into it, but they took the place of several classes.

Inf Class

First Post
Rules-Condensed.

Uses a common mechanic for pretty much everything. Some people don't like this, but I love it.

As much/more to do, less to memorize/learn.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Pbartender said:
You have a gross misconception of the term...

Al dente.

[bq]In cooking, the adjective al dente (pronounced /ɑːlˈdɛnteɪ/) describes pasta and (less commonly) rice that has been cooked so as to be firm but not hard. "Al dente" also describes vegetables that are cooked to the "tender crisp" phase - still offering resistance to the bite, but cooked through. It is often considered to be the ideal form of cooked pasta. Keeping the pasta firm is especially important in baked or "al forno" pasta dishes. The term comes from Italian and means "to the tooth" or "to the bite", referring to the need to chew the pasta due to its firmness.[/bq]

As an analogy for the "liteness" of the 4th Edition rules, I think it's quite appropriate.
This.

Al dente is the only proper way of cooking pasta in Italy, so it is a compliment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads