D&D 5E Is 5e "Easy Mode?"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
@tetrasodium - regardless of difficulty, my point is more that there shouldn't even be a check and that interruption is both easy and, if successful, automatic. (e.g. if the thrown wine misses Alice entirely then she can carry on and might not even realize the wine was thrown at all*, but if it hits her then goodbye spell)

3e introduced the idea of resisting interruption, and doubled down with the combat casting feat (did any caster ever not take this?), and in so doing completely shot itself in the foot.

* - I've always had it that while casting, casters generally lose most awareness of their surroundings other than their spell's target (if it has one), as all their concentration and mental focus is going into casting the spell.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Maybe that is part of my issue: I never felt that was a core requirement of a fighter. I never thought of them as "tanks." Maybe because I don't play video games?
Or read Gygaxes long winded description about how the fighter was supposed to defend his less resilient enemies and thought wow I want to really do that.

Video games didnt make this naughty word up.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
@tetrasodium - regardless of difficulty, my point is more that there shouldn't even be a check and that interruption is both easy and, if successful, automatic. (e.g. if the thrown wine misses Alice entirely then she can carry on and might not even realize the wine was thrown at all*, but if it hits her then goodbye spell)

3e introduced the idea of resisting interruption, and doubled down with the combat casting feat (did any caster ever not take this?), and in so doing completely shot itself in the foot.

* - I've always had it that while casting, casters generally lose most awareness of their surroundings other than their spell's target (if it has one), as all their concentration and mental focus is going into casting the spell.
If the thrown wine is a touch attack there is almost zero chance of it missing her. The problem with 5e is that interruption is neither easy nor automatic.
1586047511450.png
1586047458745.png

1586047325413.png

Not only is the DC dramatically cut but the spell no longer needs to wait until the start of the caster's next turn so it effectively goes off instantly unless someone had a readied action specifically to interrupt & hits Alice like a truck(22+) to make it more than dc10. as opposed to 10+spell level+damage+circumstance mods. In the situation of Alice cutting short negotiations/bullying a frenemyacross the table combat casting would actually make it more difficult for her
1586048021750.png

She needs to make a dc11 caster check to cast the spell and still needs to make the 10+3+damage+circumstance check for getting hit. Going by the needs of 22+ damage* in 5e for mere dc11 check that would be dc35 with her +4 bonus. The critical distinction is that even if it's just the frenemy & maybe/maybe not a low cr guard in 3.5 there is significant chance in losing the spell without needing her to sit across the table from someone capable of leveling the building

*Perhaps this frenemy is a storm giant, dragon, or whatever.

I find that using the Doom Clock idea gets old if overused. Also unless it's a different Clock deadline for each adventure, bang goes any hope of significant downtime for the PCs.

It is a different one for each adventure.

In my last Age of Worms adventure -which also included Crown of the Kobold king from Pathfinder, and all of the classic AD&D modules like Lost Island of Castanamir, Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain etc - (converted to 5E):

• PCs arrive in Falcons Hollow and find it beset by the plague. Every day more people are dying, and the PC's have only a few days to get the 3 ingredients for the cure, or else most of the town will die. In addition 1 PC (chosen at random) has the plague. Each day that passes, he gets sicker.
  • PCs get wind of the fact a rival adventuring band is in town, investigating local dungeons. They must investigate the Whispering Cairn and loot its treasures before the rival adventurers do... in 2 days time!
  • PC's get cursed by the Ghost of Allister Land. They have 3 days to recover his skeleton and inter it in holy lands, before the curse takes hold.
  • PC's discover a cult operating out of a secret base in town, working on a ritual... due to be completed at midnight of the winter solstice - in just 48 hours time. If the ritual is completed, Black cloak cultists will summon a terrible demon. They must infiltrate the base, and put and end to this ritual... and find out why the cult is in the town and what their broader objective is.
  • Several children are captured by Kobolds working from a local ruin. The PCs have limited time to rescue the children before they are eaten... or worse!
  • The PCs head south to a local keep, and discover it is under siege by lizard folk. If the Keep isnt saved by dawn, the inhabitants will be massacred!
  • After liberating the keep, the PCs notice the head of the keep has been kidnapped by the Lizardfolk. They must locate the Lizardfolks lair, and rescue her before the Lizardfolk eat her in a ritual... in just 24 hours time.
  • The PCs arrive at the coast, on a ship for the Free City. On the way they discover a strange island, not on any maps. Suddenly they are attacked by a [legendary] chimera! While the ships captain uses the harbor to make repairs to the boat damaged by the chimeras firey breath, the PCs are given leave to explore the small island, looking for the creatures lair. The PCs discover a strange black portal, that once stepped through only allows 1 way travel! The PCs are trapped in a nightmarish dungeon maze. Can the PCs escape the dungeon of the mad mage Castanamir with his nightmarish teleportation nodes and escape to freedom... before the Ship leaves them marooned in just 3 days time!
Etc, etc etc.

It's not on you to provide places to rest

Yes, it is.

I could create adventures (and adventuring locales) and doom clocks that make it impossible to rest. Conversely I can create/ frame my adventures, adventuring locales, and doom clocks that provide opportunities to rest within that framework.

If you're constructing adventures in 5E DnD, and you (as a DM) are not turning your mind to the rest paradigm of 5E, you're doing it wrong.

Essafah

Explorer
At some tables, yes, but not at all.

Sometimes the DM is more of a story-wrangler, left trying to sort out the various stories and plots her players have cooked up and somehow find common ground between them so as to tie them together a bit.

Sometimes the DM doesn't bother: the game is a series of disconnected adventures that just happen to have the same PCs continuing from one to the next with no overarching plot or reason.
Whether the DM is weaving their own unique story, trying to tie together the various pastiches her players have created into an organic whole, or playing episodic games with no over-arching connectivity just a stream of individual afters that is creating an interactive fictional narrative or in other words story-telling.

Here you're conflating setting construction and backstory (which I agree are very good things for a DM to know how to do) with in-play storytelling, which if done wrong can very quickly and easily lead to the players/PCs being railroaded through the DM's pre-made story.

I'm not sure if the 5e DMG cautions against railroading or not - it's been a while since I read it - but if it doesn't, it should, strongly.

No. What I am doing is addressing the point that in 5E and every version of D&D since 2E the game assumes the players are the lead characters of the setting and the game is their for everyone's enjoyment. It is not an adversarial relationship of player vs DM as often (but not always) it seem to feel like in OSR style games. I agree that driving story as you mentioned is bad if done wrong (the bolded emphasis above is my doing). Yet, any aspect of DMing if done wrong is a problematic. When I speak of creating an engaging story I am not talking about railroading or forcing players towards a preset end. I actually prefer a sandbox style of play in fact. What I mean is again making players feel like the leads in the story even from the beginning. This is the story we as a collective are building but the choices and outcomes is dependent upon the choices the cinematic characters make. Railroading is a bad game design and again I didn't feel the need to state the obvious.
Yes, and as far as I'm concerned this is a flat-out error in design.

Why?

Because the 0-1-2e model covers more ground. You can start as a nobody and work your way up OR you can start as a hero and go on from there, via the trivially-simple means of where the DM sets the starting level of the PCs: 1st or 3rd or 5th or whatever.

4e-5e don't give you that flexibility. There's no mechanics that cover the gap between commoner and 1st-level character, thus you simply can't start as a 'nobody'; and in 4e in particular that gap is immense.
Well, I can respect your opinion and disagree at the same time. I think the design choice of modern games is definitely 1) truer to the Sword & Sorcery roots of the genre the game is based on and 2) better for the growth of the hobby as a whole. I agree on one premise that it is easier to be harsher and let up than it is to grant leniency then take it away but I feel that this more for specific issues vs. general game play. For example, I fully support the baseline assumption of 3E, 4E and 5E that the players are not common in abilites but stand out from the norm and are cut from the stuff of myth. That being said if there is an individual class feature or specific rule that is unclear on how it works I usually rule it in a way that is less favorable to the PCs until I can do more research on the subject or Sage Advice makes a ruling, etc. but even this I do not out of a spirit of being punitive but out of a spirit of being fair, because in my view it would not be fair to my players to grant them something (feature usage, item usage, etc.) and then snatch it away (the way many old school modules and monsters encouraged DMS to do).

Also, the flaw with OSR being the baseline instead of the way the game is currently set up is that basically you run a decent risks of losing players to the game like what happened in The Secrets of Blackmoor and that I have personally witnessed happen at game tables. For example, one of our players (we will call him Rob) is easily one of the more tenured people in our diverse group. Rob has been playing D&D since early 1E. I am honestly not sure of Rob's age but I am sure he is in his early 60's. Rob for the most part likes the current edition but can't stand OSR games and in particularly talks about the ridiculous and nonsensical traps that existed in what he calls Gygaxian dungeons. I can tell you now, if Rob who is a very amenable guy showed up at a table and lost his PC to some random F ery like cockatrices as the first encounter of a level 1 dungeon, some trap that was roll a save or die because you didn't take a wooden pole with you and check every 10'f feet for traps (and yes in 1E I recall a game like this) or worst yet you brought the pole and checked every 10' feet but through a random 1d2 die roll you hit the wrong floor plate so BOOM you're dead, Rob would not make a fuss he would say, "I am sorry. I think I am wasting your time and mine. Please forgive me this game is not what I thought but I hope you have a good day" and then leave. Many newer players would do the same thing. So no, I don't think the current game is a design error. I think having heroic be the standard but allowing dials of customization to scale the game tougher or more heroic (which is what I want to happen) is the right way to go. I will say for both ends of the spectrum the dials in 5E could be a little better.
Which I take to mean you think a 0-1-2e DM doesn't care what happens?

Statements like this makes it hard to take you seriously - which is a shame, as though I disagree with almost everything you say you otherwise generally say it well. :)

In the two quotes above you are fully taking what I said out of contexting or flat out ignoring the poster I made those quotes in response too. The poster being @Monayuris The person made a statement that he did not care what happens as a DM. I am not saying 0-1-2E DMs did not care. Many did that is why many had house rules that disregarded random F-ery and the harshness of those systems. I am was addressing that poster directly and saying in the DMG the DM is to care and it continues to emphasis the point of the DM should care in various places not the least of which is pg. 6 of the DMG where it talks about getting to know your players so that can understand their motives and playstyles and thus help ensure they are having fun. What a novel concept. I must sayy I feel like you are too intelligent to not get what I was saying here especially since it was in direct response to @Monayuris whose quotes are in my post.
Nothing wrong with that either. Remember, in general (and some Gygax admonishments notwithstanding) the over-riding ethos in 0-1-2e was that the rules were largely guidelines, to be amended as an individual DM saw fit. Yes this meant that every table played differently, but it also meant that the game could be made to suit more tables.

It was 3e that brought in the idea of rules-as-law. 4e kept it*, while 5e has specifically tried to return to a more 'rulings-not-rules' ethos.

* - yes there was the legendary Page 42, but in reality how many 4e DMs put that to much use?
Yes. The DM is free to ignore the rules as they see fit but in my opinion if have to ignore a large amount of rules for the game to be fun then you have a very flawed game. In a solid system the rules enhance the game and for the most part in modern iterations of D&D I think this is true. My players and I (and me when I am a player) loved to optimize and explore the full mechanical potential of our characters. We also favor the tactical combat aspects of the game. For this reason we adhere to the rules as strictly as possible which is one reason why we all crave new official material vs. third party stuff because we like to stay legal. Some of us are lawyers in spirit if not profession and some in the group are both 😄

Last edited:

Sounds very railroady to me.

Not at all.

'Your mission is to [do thing] by [time X] or else [bad thing Y] happens.'

I suppose you could have a quest of just 'do thing' but that sounds awfully boring. Like... why are they doing it? What happens if they fail? How long do they have to do the thing?

Compare the following quests:

1) You need to recover/ destroy/ locate/ stop the Mcguffin. Whenever you get around to it. Time is not of the essence.

2) You need to recover/ destroy/ locate/ stop the Mcguffin before [time X] or else [bad thing Y] happens. Time is of the essence.

Which is more impactful, gives the Players a feeling that they've accomplished something, and exercised their agency to affect the game world (stopping a bad thing from happening, via performing the quest).

Heroes in movies dont have all the time in the world to defuse the bomb, save their daughter from evil mercenaries, blow up the Death Star before it destroys Yavin IV, recover the Ark of the Covenant etc, so why should your heroes?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I have no idea where the conversation even is at this point, but I wanted to pull this bit out to mention.

I like the change made in 5e, why? Because Alice isn't used to wineglasses being thrown in her face while casting. She's used to being shot with arrows and stabbed with spears.

A wineglass should be easy for her to cast through.

See, I have a logical problem with your last statement. "But the fact that poison was save or die meant that the players would often change their strategy as soon as they knew they were dealing with poison."

See, if I'm running the world, and spider venom is potential instant death, then my goblins (who are sneaky and would prefer you dead rather than capable of fighting back) are going to gather up spider venom for their arrows. Then, they are going to shoot at you from an ambush.

So, when does the party know they are dealing with poison? After they are hit by an arrow, by which point, there is a good chance a PC just died. And how will they change their strategy? They were avoiding getting hit by the arrows before right? And there are problems with things like, hunkering behind cover, because readied actions makes that just as deadly for you.

Or, let's move on from archers with poison. I remember in a few video games encountering giant centipedes. Didn't know that centipedes were poisonous, so your players are walking through a dungeon, find a room filled with centipedes, if they don't know centipedes are poisonous, when do they know they are dealing with poison? Well, that would be after they are bit, at which point a PC might be dead.

But, let us move on from monsters. Traps are a fine tradition. You obviously look out for traps, but you don't always find them. A trap with a poison needle, or a poison gas, or a poison anything. When do you know when it is poison? When it is too late and a PC is likely dead.

But hey, sometimes you do get to see it ahead of time right? You mentioned snakes. Classic movie scene right, fall into a pit of snakes... you are dead. Because you just got potentially bit by dozens of snakes.

So, sure, sometimes you could see the threat coming, and do something about it, but many, many many times, the logic of the situation would mean that you actually didn't see it coming, until someone is already dead.

Yes, but...

If goblins are known to use poisoned arrows, then you would approach potential encounters with goblins differently. There are also ways to mitigate that in game. For example, while poisoned arrows could be very effective, you can gate it behind some safeguards. For example, a critical hit. Or an attack that rolls maximum damage on the die. Or the dosage could be insufficient, granting advantage on the save unless those conditions are met.

After the first attack, where the poison is known, the players/PCs will alter their tactics. Just like they would in real life.

If certain centipedes, spiders, snakes, etc. are venomous enough to be deadly, then the people who have lived with them in their world for thousands of years will be aware of that fact. Sure, adventurers far from home might run across a lot of unknowns but they should also be treating such unknowns with caution. You can also provide some clues to the risks involved if appropriate.

Traps, too. I pointed out the pits in ToH specifically because the traps were designed in such a way to make it unlikely the first person to trigger it would be unlikely to die. At which point, the presence of traps is now known and they can take appropriate actions. Traps have always been a challenge in D&D, because a lot of DMs like to use them frequently. It shouldn't really be a surprise when traps are likely to be present, and in many cases they should be obvious, set as a deterrent.

In addition, traps are often mechanical devices. I have frequently had older traps either non-functioning, because mechanics have rusted, wood has dry-rotted, crossbow strings have rotted away, etc. Or poison has lost its potency, granting advantage on saves, etc.

The point is, if they know that save or die is a possibility, and they aren't sure how dangerous this particular circumstance is, you can reasonably, and believably, give them a way of knowing what the danger is that they face, so they can adjust.

But other effects, like energy drain, are also known. In our campaign, necrotic damage doesn't heal naturally. It requires magical healing, which is also harder to come by. Not all undead cause necrotic damage, but since they can't tell just by looking at a given undead creature, they treat them all with respect.

Falling is more dangerous and deadly in our campaign, as are fire and acid. So they treat them with respect and act appropriately.

Not all of these are factors from earlier editions, of course. But they approach grew out of the energy drain and save or die effects of AD&D.

Remove ads