D&D 5E Is 5e Heroic, or SUPER-heroic?

My ideal fantasy implementation of 5e is like the world of Witcher 3. Yes there is magic though the big powerful stuff is rare and the simple stuff is easily accessible. Heroes can do things that normal folks can’t, but then again heroes are the exception not the norm. They can heal, they can get simple magical effects, they can attack fast and they can take damage. I wouldn’t dream of describing the world of Witcher as super hero though.
The Witcher is every inch a superhero - he is even is a mutant with an origin story. His superpowers aren't as strong as Superman, but he could go toe-to-toe with Captain America, who has a similar origin.

And so is Ciri.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I think they're closer to heroes than superheroes. That said, "superheroes" covers a wide range from street level to cosmic, so the claim itself is somewhat nebulous. Certainly, a reasonable argument can be made that they resemble super-heroic characters at the lower end of the scale.

Many classes have access to magic, but I don't think that necessarily makes one a superhero. There are plenty of powerful magic-using characters in fantasy who (I don't think) most people would classify as superheroes. I certainly wouldn't classify Harry Potter as a superhero. ;) I can't even really put my finger on why. I have no issues with Doctor Strange being a super hero, but the idea of classifying Harry Potter as one feels inaccurate, despite many commonalities.

This is a place where bounded accuracy has a significant impact in my opinion. Fairly high level characters can be killed by a sufficient number of relatively low CR creatures in 5e. That feels more heroic than superheroic to me. I would would say that 3.x is more super-heroic by comparison. Of course, given the wide range that superheroes encompass, either could technically fit.

The superhero genre is quite vast and encompasses characters from wildly disparate power levels. While we wouldn't blink if Wolverine leapt off a towering cliff and just kept going, most people would be a bit incredulous if Cyclops did the same thing. I don't really think that D&D characters are superheroes per se, but ultimately it's an extremely subjective assessment. I don't think this one really has a right or wrong answer, just one's personal viewpoint.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Both superheroes and D&D characters often rely on magical (in the broad sense) equipment that may not always be present.

In D&D the main limitation on the use of inherent powers is periodicity. They generally recover after a short or long rest. Spells also usually require incantations and gestures.

Limitations on powers in superhero are very diverse. Superman's powers don't work in the presence of kryptonite, red sun radiation or Kryptonian gravity. They are ineffective vs magic. Green Lantern's ring is ineffective vs the colour yellow. He also has a periodicity limitation - his ring needs to be recharged every 24 hours. The Martian Manhunter is vulnerable to fire. Wonder Woman cannot use her strength when she is bound. Bruce Banner cannot easily control his transformation into the Hulk. Cyclops cannot turn off his eye beams without special equipment. Spider-man's foes frequently found ways to negate his spider-sense.

Superheroes often have physical disadvantages that D&D characters lack or could easily cure - Daredevil's blindness, Professor X's inability to walk, Tony Stark's heart condition. Donald Blake (Thor's alter ego) was lame in the original comics. Aquaman had to be in contact with water every hour or he would die.

TheSword

Legend
The Witcher is every inch a superhero - he is even is a mutant with an origin story. His superpowers aren't as strong as Superman, but he could go toe-to-toe with Captain America, who has a similar origin.

And so is Ciri.
I really hate when people mix genres and then make up gladiator style fight-off contests and talk about it. As if these kinds of statements have any weight. I get that it’s fun for people who are into it, but not as a reply to a post.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
At will?

Invulnerable?

No.

Edit: Though how generous your DM is with a wish spell, they could do some things a comic superhero could not.
No one PC can do all of those at-will but certain ones can do certain ones each.

Like, a wizard can fly at-will. They aren't invulnerable at the same time, though.

But isn't that an aspect of being a superhero? You don't have to be superman to be a superhero. The simple ability to turn invisible for a limited time over a limited instances over a day is extremely superheroic.

Imagine in real-life having access to spells and you use them, people would think you're a superhero. Even moreso, they'd probably not even realize you had a limit to your powers unless you let them know.

Coroc

Hero
No one PC can do all of those at-will but certain ones can do certain ones each.

Power rangers anyone :p ?

Imagine in real-life having access to spells and you use them, people would think you're a superhero. Even moreso, they'd probably not even realize you had a limit to your powers unless you let them know.

Except if you are a terrorist, then you 'd be a supervillain :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases