• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a coup de grace a full round action....

Sejs

First Post
Expert Tactitian no longer allows a Partial Action, just a melee attack. If a Death Blow CDG is a Standard Action, it's not a valid use of Expert Tactitian.

Well fiddlesticks, you're right. Curses, foiled again!

*grumbles about running someone thru who is paralyzed not being a melee attack... goes off to tie some maidens to a railroad track*

mmu1

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a coup de grace a full round action....

Hypersmurf said:
(...)Give a man a fish and all that.
-Hyp.

"Make a man a fire, and he'll be warm for one night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Trine

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a coup de grace a full round action....

mmu1 said:

"Make a man a fire, and he'll be warm for one night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
That's to say nothing of how long his life will be, though. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Just for clarification: this forum is for both complicated questions and simple requests.

I agree. I'm not suggesting coming down on people or insulting them for asking simple questions. Nor am I suggesting that such questions should not be answered.

I just feel that someone who asks those questions is better served in the long run by being guided to the appropriate place to find the answer to that question and other similar ones.

After all, the answer "Yes" is frequently replied to with "Can you give a reference for that?" anyway. It saves time and educates if you give them the page reference / link to the SRD / push-towards-the-PHB-index in the first place...

-Hyp.

Cyan

First Post
Something I've been wondering about, under what circumstances are a CDG allowed.
Yes when you are helpless, but what qualifies as that?

Sleeping - Yes
Held (hold spell etc)- Yes
Command die spell - ??
Grappeld by someone - ??
You are unaware as your attacker sneaks up from behind - ?
Dazed - ?
Blinded - No
Stunned - ?
Charmed -? (I'm just going to help you shave that beard of yours with my dagger :D )

Help me straighten this out.

Also can you do it in a fight when the target has allies nearby to protect him?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Command die spell - ??

No. Sage (and FAQ?) has ruled that a Command to sleep, freeze, or die (etc) is equivalent to being stunned, not helpless.

Grappeld by someone - ??

No. Even pinned - in fact, pinned specifically says you're not helpless. You are, however, denied your Dex bonus (as in many of these conditions), which allows a Rogue (etc) to Sneak Attack.

You are unaware as your attacker sneaks up from behind - ?

No. Denied Dex.

Dazed - ?

No.

Stunned - ?

No. Denied Dex.

Charmed -?

No. You consider the Charmer a friend... it doesn't mean you're going to stand still while he cuts your throat!

As a general rule for evaluating Charms, consider how the character would react if another PC acted in the same way or made the same suggestion.

For example, if Wally the Wizard suggested that you help him hack Fred the Fighter and Clem the Cleric into little pieces, you'd probably try to settle things amicably without resorting to violence... possibly even restraining Wally for his own good. Just because someone's Charmed you, it doesn't mean you're a mindless automaton.

Also can you do it in a fight when the target has allies nearby to protect him?

Yup. It's a full round action, but unless they have readied actions to prevent it, or use the AoO a CDG provokes to knock you unconscious, kill you, or somehow prevent you finishing the action (grapple, bull-rush, disarm), it isn't going to be prevented.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:

I agree. I'm not suggesting coming down on people or insulting them for asking simple questions. Nor am I suggesting that such questions should not be answered.

I just feel that someone who asks those questions is better served in the long run by being guided to the appropriate place to find the answer to that question and other similar ones.

Exactly my feeling. I didn't even realise that my original response was so easy to interpret as offensive.

So many, many times people want to know a page reference for a rule, and the index in the PHB has tended to prove very comprehensive.

I wish that Hammy hadn't been so quick with his trigger finger. I feel like I'm supposed to be some kind of bad person now :eek:

Cheers

hammymchamham

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
[BI wish that Hammy hadn't been so quick with his trigger finger. I feel like I'm supposed to be some kind of bad person now :eek:

Cheers [/B]

Sorry Plane. I hate it when I miss interpret the tone of a post. :eek:

Darklone

Hypersmurf said:
Yup. It's a full round action, but unless they have readied actions to prevent it, or use the AoO a CDG provokes to knock you unconscious, kill you, or somehow prevent you finishing the action (grapple, bull-rush, disarm), it isn't going to be prevented.

-Hyp.

As our flying supersmurf pointed out, Disarm is usually the best choice.

Ehm... probably stupid question... it's a full round action... which I avoided like cigarettes with green herbs...
When does the CDG take place? Right after his action this round, right? And a spell with 1 round duration like Summon Monster XXX takes place before his next action next round, right?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
When does the CDG take place? Right after his action this round, right?

It is his action this round. Like a Full Attack, or loading a heavy crossbow - it doesn't take place after his action, it takes place during his action.

And a spell with 1 round duration like Summon Monster XXX takes place before his next action next round, right?

That's right - there a difference between a Full Round Action, and One Full Round.

Summon Monster takes One Full Round; a sorcerer casting a Metamagic spell is a Full Round Action, like a Coup De Grace, a Full Attack, or loading a heavy crossbow.

-Hyp.

Remove ads