D&D 5E Is adamantine a metal?

Anakzar

First Post
There is dragon scale armor in the DMs guide. Its magical scale armor made of dragon scales. I allowed the party to have a set of non-magical dragon scale armor made out of a young dragon's hide... they paid a good amount of coin and supplied the hide.

A dragon seeing one wearing that might be a bit put off and attack that person first? ;)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
But to be clear: adamant/diamond (same root) at bottom just means 'unbreakable thing'. It has been used variously for metals and gemstones over the ages. In Greek, what it is is kind of up in the air. In Latin, it's definitely a metal. It's not until I believe medieval French that diamond acquires the specific meaning it has today.

A better translation of the Greek would be "untameable", but it is correct that it was, and still is used to refer to a variety of very hard materials. In Greek myth, for example, the sickle-swords of both Kronos and Perseus are adamantine, which may have referred to diamond, flint, or some other stone. It's unclear whether Virgil is referring to a metal when he describes the columns that surround the gate of Tartarus as adamantine, but I can imagine them being carved from stone rather than cast metal. By the Middle Ages, adamant had taken on the meaning of diamond.

Perhaps of greater interest for fantasy fiction application of the term, J. R. R. Tolkien uses it to refer to the jewels in the crown of King Elessar, as well, of course, as that which is set in Galadriel's ring. He also uses it to refer to several objects made of metal or stone.

Mad_Jack

Legend
A dragon seeing one wearing that might be a bit put off and attack that person first? ;)

Depends greatly on the dragon in question - metallic dragons seeing someone in metallic dragon armor are probably going to ask some extremely pointed questions about how it was obtained, but if the armor's from a chromatic dragon they may well compliment the wearer on his fashion choices.
Chromatic dragons are more likely to be of the mindset that if the dragon couldn't keep it's hide it probably didn't deserve it in the first place.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
What strikes me as odd, is the fact that they choose not to use metal armor, but have no problem using metal weapons. So the dagger, the Scimitar, and the sickle are all examples of overworked metal instruments that Druids utilize. Why are they not limited to "naturally" obtained weapons like the club, Quarter Staff, and sling?

It's something from 1E. The metal weapons that Druids can use are versions of the ceremonial sickles they use for cutting mistletoe. See "Asterix and the Golden Sickle" for more information. The scimitar always felt a bit of a stretch, but I think it was mostly there to give druids an interesting option over clerics.

MarkB

Legend
It's something from 1E. The metal weapons that Druids can use are versions of the ceremonial sickles they use for cutting mistletoe. See "Asterix and the Golden Sickle" for more information. The scimitar always felt a bit of a stretch, but I think it was mostly there to give druids an interesting option over clerics.

Q: Why did the Cleric cast Cure Light Wounds on the scimitar?

A: Because it was looking sickly.

bganon

Explorer
Depends greatly on the dragon in question - metallic dragons seeing someone in metallic dragon armor are probably going to ask some extremely pointed questions about how it was obtained, but if the armor's from a chromatic dragon they may well compliment the wearer on his fashion choices.
Chromatic dragons are more likely to be of the mindset that if the dragon couldn't keep it's hide it probably didn't deserve it in the first place.

If my cat shows up one day covered in pieces of human hide, I'm going to have some serious issues even if the hide clearly comes from my most hated enemy.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
If my cat shows up one day covered in pieces of human hide, I'm going to have some serious issues even if the hide clearly comes from my most hated enemy.

Yeah, but if your cat showed up one day wearing a vest made of real gorilla chest, wouldn't you be both curious and impressed?

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, but if your cat showed up one day wearing a vest made of real gorilla chest, wouldn't you be both curious and impressed?

Mainly by its consideration and tailoring skills. Most cats I've known would show up with the gorilla carcass and an expectant look on their face.

BoldItalic

First Post
I'd take it as a message from the gods. Probably intended for one of the neighbours, seeing as I don't have a cat. Now a gorilla coming to the door wearing a cat skin waistcoat and nonchalantly swinging an adamantine hammer in a vaguely non-reassuring way, that would be impressive. I'd assume it was collecting for some charity or other. Luckily, I always keep a bowl of bananas ready.

Remove ads