D&D 5E Is adamantine a metal?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I've seen some skepticism about that particular derivation. Could be a folk etymology. Like how amazon probably doesn't actually mean 'without a breast'.

Ah yes, I was also confusing etymology with meaning. So it could be derived from a Semitic language. Nevertheless, Wictionary gives three definitions for adamas, adamantos. Two relate to metals, and one is synonymous with diamond, which I think supports my point. Adamant isn't necessarily metallic. It could be made from some type of stone, possibly even diamond, and therefore be fair game for Druids if the prohibition against metal armor is taken at face value.

BoldItalic

First Post
Adamant isn't necessarily metallic. It could be made from some type of stone, possibly even diamond, and therefore be fair game for Druids if the prohibition against metal armor is taken at face value.
Hey guys, see that druid over there with the twinkly armour?
Ooh! Shiny!
Solid diamond.
Wow!
Mayhap a fireball might prove efficacious?
Yup. That's what I was thinking.
Hee Hee!
Flammatis Incendio!
And so the druid was at one with the earth.
Oh no! Shiny armour broken in little pieces!
Pick them all up very carefully.
These will undoubtedly prove useful as material components?
Mmhmm. Me, I'm buying a small kingdom with my share.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
A dragon seeing one wearing that might be a bit put off and attack that person first? ;)

Or it might decide that that is legitimate proof that the wearer is one two-legger that should be given a wide berth or at least a decent amount of respect.

I think is a mistake to assume that alien creatures have human motivations and reactions. Dragon's might be cannibals, and the smell of dead dragon might be something they find both delicious and disturbingly sexy. Could explain a lot about the Dragon High Lords on Krynn. If you are sufficiently strong and threatening, then at some level you are triggering the emotional response that a dragon has to its mate (much as a cat emotionally bonds to humans as parents, and dogs as fellow pack members). If not, then you trigger the emotional response that a dragon has to its food.

And that change could come rather suddenly.

?
I don't have problem in saying he just can use a metal armor, but I want to check all the options first.

I think they can't use metal armours because metal is extracted from rocks and hippie things like that. I can change that.

In that case you might need iron from another source.
For example iron that is grown biologicly, for example a Gorgon has iron skin and it is grown as the Gorgon is neither a condtruct or a elemental.
another source of biological iron might be to distill in from blood.

Or it might decide that that is legitimate proof that the wearer is one two-legger that should be given a wide berth or at least a decent amount of respect.

I think is a mistake to assume that alien creatures have human motivations and reactions. Dragon's might be cannibals, and the smell of dead dragon might be something they find both delicious and disturbingly sexy. Could explain a lot about the Dragon High Lords on Krynn. If you are sufficiently strong and threatening, then at some level you are triggering the emotional response that a dragon has to its mate (much as a cat emotionally bonds to humans as parents, and dogs as fellow pack members). If not, then you trigger the emotional response that a dragon has to its food.

And that change could come rather suddenly.
While I get your general point, I believe in the specific case of dragons and dragon-parts armor the canon is that they are decidedly not cool with it. It might not be for the same reasons as humans would be, though: less "You monster, you have slain one of my kind and desecrated their corpse!" and more "You pathetic upstart mortal, what the hell do you think you're pretending at?"

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Hey guys, see that druid over there with the twinkly armour?
Ooh! Shiny!
Solid diamond.
Wow!
Mayhap a fireball might prove efficacious?
Yup. That's what I was thinking.
Hee Hee!
Flammatis Incendio!
And so the druid was at one with the earth.
Oh no! Shiny armour broken in little pieces!
Pick them all up very carefully.
These will undoubtedly prove useful as material components?
Mmhmm. Me, I'm buying a small kingdom with my share.

I don't imagine that adamant would be so brittle as to crumble in the blast of a fireball, but I suppose that the introduction of such a large quantity of diamond could upset the material component economy. No one said you had to make adamantine armor available in your campaign, however. If I did, I might imagine it as a type of stone armor, the secret of its making having long ago been lost.

Remove ads