• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is anyone sticking with 3.5?

Ourph

First Post
I will still play 3e, but I haven't DMed a 3e game since around 2003 and I don't plan to do so ever again. It's just too much work, even at low levels and there are too many things that bug me in the monster advancement and magic item creation rules.

However, I'm not planning on buying the 4e books either. When I run, I'll stick to what I like now, B/X D&D and Warhammer v2 (with houserules). Those two options will likely satisfy my fantasy gaming needs for the next several decades, if not longer. :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Toric_Arthendain said:
Not to derail my own thread but...

Eric, I love what you've done with your Western Shore campaign setting! Cool map! I like all the references to other published adventures and your house rules are great! They manage to fix things without drastically changing the rules. Consider some of them stolen, if you don't mind... :cool:

Thanks! The map is just a chunk of the Al-Qadim setting relabeled, and I stole a lot of place names and ideas from a variety of settings and fiction.

This is the "comfort level" I am talking about, btw -- the comfort of being able to house rule things the way I want them to be, after having played it fairly straight for some time. 3.x isn't old news to me -- in some ways I am finally getting it broken in. The timing alone is a huge reason for me not to switch.

Voadam

Legend
I expect to check out 4e and PF but my games for the foreseeable future will continue to be houseruled 3.5.

I might allow in some pathfinder stuff like the rogue sneak attack working on undead and constructs, but the overall power bump of PF classes and races is not something I was really looking for. I might allow them in as options for lower point buys the way I do for gestalt and LA, but I'm not sure of where to put the point buy cost yet. I also like the PF 2.0 skill system of no half ranks for cross class skills or x4 skills at 1st level, just a +3 on class skills. It makes the math easier, something I'm in favor of.

4e, we'll see if there are things I like that I can house rule into 3e. Maybe some multiclassing type feats. We'll see how skill challenges actually turn out.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
LoneWolf23 said:
Like others, I've got too much money invested in my 3.x books (over $200), and I'm not just going to throw that way in favor of a brand new game. I'll probably go back to 3.5, or use my books as conversion-fodder for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.

You know I'm not trying get in to pissing contest here but after reading your post I got up and tallied all of my 3E material on just ONE shelf of my RPG book case. After adding those books and adding the three Boxed Sets that are sitting atop the bookshelf (Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Gazetteer of the Know Realms, and Rappan Athuk: Reloaded) price tally came up to $1401.90 give or take a few bucks.

There's another full 3E shelf and half of another. This doesnt even include my PDF's or the ones I paid to have spiral bound.

My God, I've spent alot of money supporting this edition.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have enough 2/3E books that I'd beggar myself if I tried to by them all at once. But I'm still going to get 4E. Fluff gets updated, and crunch is inspiration. One group I play w/ will be 3.5, I'll probably run some 4. So its all good fun.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
ShinHakkaider said:
You know I'm not trying get in to pissing contest here but after reading your post I got up and tallied all of my 3E material on just ONE shelf of my RPG book case. After adding those books and adding the three Boxed Sets that are sitting atop the bookshelf (Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Gazetteer of the Know Realms, and Rappan Athuk: Reloaded) price tally came up to $1401.90 give or take a few bucks.

There's another full 3E shelf and half of another. This doesnt even include my PDF's or the ones I paid to have spiral bound.

My God, I've spent alot of money supporting this edition.

I don't even want to tally up my 7+ shelves of 3.x stuff.

Whisperfoot said:
I don't even want to tally up my 7+ shelves of 3.x stuff.

I have no idea how many shelves of 3.x stuff I have...most of it is scattered around the gaming area! :D Some is on shelves, some is stacked in a chair next to where I sit at the gaming table. If I had to estimate (i.e. if I ever organized my stuff), I would guess I have 2-3 shelves of 3.x stuff. That of course doesn't count the older edition material I have which would probably take up a shelf of its own.

Remove ads