D&D 5E Is Anyone Unhappy About Non-LG Paladins?

Are you unhappy about non-LG paladins?

• No; in fact, it's a major selling point!

Votes: 98 20.5%
  • No; in fact, it's a minor selling point.

Votes: 152 31.7%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 115 24.0%
  • Yes; and it's a minor strike against 5e.

Votes: 78 16.3%
  • Yes; and it's a major strike against 5e!

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • My paladin uses a Motorola phone.

Votes: 18 3.8%

the Jester

Legend
Wow, this thread really got away from me over the last day or two, so I skimmed over the last six pages or so; someone else may have already made this point, but anyhow...

As I have been reading through this thread and thinking about it, I've come to a realization about my view of paladins.

Since sometime in the 2e era, I've viewed paladins as one type of champion. Champions are deity-specific warriors inspired and empowered by their gods, as opposed to clerics, who pray to their god (or philosophy, or what have you). I think the fundamental difference in my view (on a roleplaying level) is that a cleric talks to his or her god, while a paladin listens to/for his or her god.

This distinction may not mean anything specific, but it means a whole lot in terms of how paladins and clerics function vis-a-vis their gods. (Append an 'in my campaign' to everything in this post, btw.) I've long held to the tradition that a cleric's alignment must be within one step of his or her god's, but a paladin (or other champion) must match the god's alignment exactly. It also means that a paladin doesn't question his or her god, while a cleric might.

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me to reach this insight. I am going to try to remember to describe the difference this way when a player asks me about it.

Wow, this thread really got away from me over the last day or two, so I skimmed over the last six pages or so; someone else may have already made this point, but anyhow...

As I have been reading through this thread and thinking about it, I've come to a realization about my view of paladins.

Since sometime in the 2e era, I've viewed paladins as one type of champion. Champions are deity-specific warriors inspired and empowered by their gods, as opposed to clerics, who pray to their god (or philosophy, or what have you). I think the fundamental difference in my view (on a roleplaying level) is that a cleric talks to his or her god, while a paladin listens to/for his or her god.

This distinction may not mean anything specific, but it means a whole lot in terms of how paladins and clerics function vis-a-vis their gods. (Append an 'in my campaign' to everything in this post, btw.) I've long held to the tradition that a cleric's alignment must be within one step of his or her god's, but a paladin (or other champion) must match the god's alignment exactly. It also means that a paladin doesn't question his or her god, while a cleric might.

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me to reach this insight. I am going to try to remember to describe the difference this way when a player asks me about it.

I think that way works very well with traditional mechanics behind clerics and paladins.

It doesn't sit so well with me, because (to try to put it as concisely as possible) I don't understand why someone who fights first and prays second should be closer to their god than someone who prays first and fights second.

Hussar

Legend
On the other hand it could just be hubris... stupidity... stubbornness... or guided by any number of other motivations, the facts are that he was a paladin of a god whose tenets included defense of the weak from the front line... The relevant question is... did he embody these ideals in his actions? Another question I'd be curious to know the answer to was did the player and his comrades think he did...

EDIT: I would think his faith would be best exemplified and most powerful when he is acting in accordance with the deity he follows...

There is another issue though too. In what way is a double digit level caster (I'm making an assumption here that the group is double digit levels - they are fighting a dracolich after all) considered the "weak"? Again, why wouldn't the shaman disengage and back off from the dragon? Like, maybe, move behind the paladin? The shaman had at least two rounds to back off (he got dropped in the third round - again implying a pretty sturdy individual to be able to stand by himself for two rounds with a dragon) but chose to stay?

Look, none of us know what's going on at that table. We only have this tiny slice that GregK has posted, so, obviously I really can't make any sort of definitive judgement. I can only judge what's been presented. As presented, I have to admit, I disagree with the DM here. The paladin took a chance on a power that would end the fight instantly. He had multiple opportunities to use that power - it's not a one shot thing - so he tried again. Now, if he knew he had zero chance of success, well, that's a different kettle of fish.

But, losing character abilities because he chose to stay in the fight, but, not in the way the DM thought was the way he should stay in the fight? Yeah, I'm not going to agree with that. Had the paladin run away? Oh, sure, total violation there. But, as presented, no, I would not rule this way and as the paladin player, I'd be pretty pissed if my DM did.

Greg K

Legend
The default approach at my table is roughly the opposite of what you describe here - the other players (and me as GM) tend to take the paladin (or cleric) player's behaviour and professed convictions as indicators of the tenets of the deity in question.
oh, I already know from your post history that our preferred approaches are opposed. To me there is the setting and things like deity's and their tenets are (or should be) set by the GM. The player builds their characters within what is determined for the setting, its cultures, etc. If they want to play a character that gets their power through a deity or a pact with some powerful creature (i.e., demon, devil, fae), the player does not set the terms, but agrees to pre-set terms and conditions.

Elf Witch

First Post
The default approach at my table is roughly the opposite of what you describe here - the other players (and me as GM) tend to take the paladin (or cleric) player's behaviour and professed convictions as indicators of the tenets of the deity in question. (That said, there are features of the ingame situation you're describing that I'm not following - like [MENTION=5143]Majoru Oakheart[/MENTION], I don't really see how the paladin was better able to protect his friends by engaging the dragon in melee rather than trying to turn it.)

In the fiction they might, though - for instance, part of a player's backstory for his PC might be a mysterious blessing from a god, or benefaction from a religious order.

And hit points and saving throws (at least in most editions - 3E may be an exception) are seen as reflecting divine blessings among other factors (eg Gygax, DMG p 111-12: "the accumulation of hit points and the ever-greater abilities and better saving throws of characters represents the aid supplied by supernatural forces").

That seems to be begging the question somewhat - it's a statement of the proposition that the GM should have the power, but not really a statement of a reason as to why. And tradition is not a reason in an of itself, because there is no single tradition here. Not all versions of the game give the GM the power to strip PCs of mechanical abilities for code/alignment violations (eg 4e doesn't, B/X doesn't).

I'm sure something could be worked out. Rebuild the PC. Apply a curse. Forfeit some ability for some period of time. It's not as if D&D has ever lacked for mechanical devices useable to give effect to metaphysical punishment and suffering. (Even in AD&D, as far as clerics were concerned Gygax didn't feel the need to be precise (DMG p 38): "If they have not been faithful . . . it becomes unlikely that they will receive intermediary aid unless they make proper atonement and sacrifice. . . making whatever sacrifices and atonement are necessary . . . before [receiving] those powers once again.")

Nope, and that's a good illustration of how problematic DM meta-gaming and DMs ignoring player input can be.

It's not a "win" to do that, because that requires meta-game "knowledge" that orcs are always evil and impossible to redeem, even though love and faith, miracles and the divine! Knowledge, too, of something not true in normal D&D games/settings (certainly not the FR). Rather the DM has decided this, and when the PCs don't agree, inserts this meta-game knowledge and insists they act accordingly.

They disagree, and being basically good IRL are never going to remotely comfortable with this genocidal approach/not-even-god-can-redeem-them approach (which would work for demons/undead), so there is an impasse.

Either the DM backs down, and goes with the normal D&D scheme, or he is going to end up not being the DM to that group any longer. In the latter case, his setting's creepy-to-me "perfection" is preserved, but he no longer has anyone to play D&D with. Choices, choices!

(The latter is pretty much what happened in actuality.)

I'm confused. Are you answering your own question here? It seems like it. This isn't a moral dilemma. That's the problem. There's no dilemma for anyone who is Good. There is only one course, which is to try to save them. Neutral or Evil PCs might face a dilemma, but not Good PCs.

(It could become a dilemma if, by saving them, you had to risk other lives in a more immediate way - i.e. had to divert from stopping a dragon or something - but that's really just asking for splitting the party or the like.)

Only the last one of those is Good, though. PCs who aren't Good may have a choice, but most PCs, in my experience, are Good. The first option is certainly "lawful", but it's not Good. The second option is, frankly, so corner-case it's hard to believe it's ever actually occurred, and even then, it's pretty un-Good to not at least try.

I agree, but again, this isn't a "moral dilemma" for Good PCs. There are plenty of dilemmas for them, just not this one.

He was acting like a jerk, I agree, but you're kinda agreeing with him, whilst you're saying that. The problem is, D&D is a world of magic and miracles. There's a first time for everything. Orcs aren't demons in any mainstream D&D setting I'm aware of, they're living beings who make choices, and can choose not to be Evil, even if it's really hard. This world was the FR, specifically. The Paladin's brave counter-argument, was, as I recall, more or less that miracles happen, and it seemed to him that doing this not only broke his code, but dishonoured the gods by not allowing for that miracle (even if orcs were auto-evil).

(I should note that the church he was suggesting taking them to was not of his faith, or part of his religious hierarchy)

Further, PCs are played by human beings who actually care about stuff and have moral limits. No matter how many times a DM explains it's okay for me to kill helpless babies of a decision-making, binary-gendered, learning species, I am not going to agree. Nor would almost any adult I'd game with.

If we have orcs as manufactured monstrosities, created in the spawning-pits by a wizard, programmed from birth with pre-coded instructions from which they cannot deviate, that's something else, without the same moral dilemma, but it's also not what we had here (and it's basically "biomechanoids" or "robots", rather than typical fantasy orcs, I'd suggest). But this whole situation couldn't come up, then.

EDIT - This whole incident was kind of an amusing example of a "Ruthlessness and brutality is fine!"-style 1E DM slamming head-on into a "Paladins & Princesses"-style 2E group.

Sure, but is that not the essence of faith? To believe in the power of his god, to trust that the divine will manifest its might through him and defeat the evil, even though the rest of the world scoffs?

If anything, there's an argument that this is exactly the type of paladin behaviour you should be rewarding, instead of punishing.

Tactically, the player chose a low-probability but high-reward strategy.I think that denying the paladin player that option is excessive. The rest of the party could have recognized that and fought defensively to buy the paladin time.

Personally, I think that this is an example of micromanaging player choices, which is the temptation of paladins for DMs, and should be avoided.

Permerton the DM had his goddess send him a vision that he was on the wrong track I think when your goddess chose to tell you something you if you are a paladin should listen. It is a tool in the DM tool kit to help players. I use it to give guidance to a player. This is along of the lines of a DM giving a player an incredulous look and asks are you sure you want to do that and instead of thinking maybe this is a bad idea they go yes. I think the DM handled it in a creative way he didn't take all the abilities away but the ones that fit the situation.

As for something being part of the background that is a cool thing to do but it is not in the RAW. I have used it and I would do the same with the player who wants to have it as I would a cleric or a paladin if they violate that gift and stray to far from the deity alignment then there would be consequences.

I think the DM should have the power as I have said before they are the final arbitrator of the rules and they run the world and the gods in it. Also my experience is that most players are not exactly unbiased when it comes to making judgement calls that might effect their characters. And yes I acknowledge that their are bad DMs out there who abuse their power but taking power away from all DMs because of this does not make sense. The answer is not play with a DM you don't trust.

Ruin Explorer No it is not a metagame issue at all paladins and clerics get detect evil. The way alignment works is if something is always evil it will detect as evil. A baby of a race that does not have the always alignment gets to chose and will detect as neutral. Also there are in games way to help them make the decision. You can have the cleric or paladin pray for guidance you can have someone roll a knowledge skill to se if anyone knows of a case where orc babies didn't grow up to be evil brutes.

I think that depends on the players involved. Is it wrong to wipe out evil? Is it wrong to allow evil to flourish and if you do is the innocent blood then on your hands? These are interesting moral dilemma questions that some players like myself and most of the people I play with enjoy.

Again any issue can derail a game when a DM and players come to loggerheads over an issue. At that point it is time to step back and remember it is just a game.

That is not true at all that only one is good. If the PCs have no way to care for those orc babies and no way to get them to a place where they could be cared for then the only solution for them is do end them in a merciful way. It really depends on what else is going on in the world and what the PCs are up to. If they are evil then I would argue that it would not necessarily be a good thing to allow them to live, breed and then kill innocent people. It certainly is not an evil act to stop evil.

Again I disagree it is an excellent moral dilemma for a good party. Especially if the babies are not evil. I have seen it done in several games one was with two kobold babies who did not detect as evil. Half the party wanted to just give them to the human townsfolk who would kill them the other half insisted on taking them with us. We ended up taking them and raising them.One became good the other eventually went more to the typical kobold alignment of the world which is neutral evil. The cleric of St Cuthbert was for not for saving them because he had dealt with kobolds his entire life and never heard of any being raised successfully.

These kind of moral dilemmas are just that because there is more than one answer unless of course everything is black and white in your game world.

I do think that a black and white world then it is impossible to really run a paladin or any lawful character technically going into ruins that a orc tribes lives in killing them and stealing their stuff is not really a good act.

One of the problems with this is how you view the world do you view it through a 21 century moral view or a more historical view. For example looting fallen soldiers in the 21 century view is considered wrong but from a historical view not so much. As a 21 century person I find the entire idea of slavery abhorrent and evil. But from a historical POV I don't believe that societies that had slavery was filled with evil people.

We had a alignment argument in a game between myself and another player. I was playing a noble who had been knighted and I played it from the POV of how people were viewed in medieval times. Which was nobles lives were worth more than peasants lives so I chose to save the Kings children even though it meant letting peasant children die. The other player a very modern American was like no that is evil those noble children including the heir are not worth more than the peasant children.

You realize that just because no adult you would play with would want to do that does mean that other adults agree and right there is the crux of the issue know the people you game with. If I had a table filled with players like you I would not put in such moral dilemmas because you would not find them enjoyable.

GSHamster The DM didn't make the player fail in turning the dice and maybe the rules did. But I would agree that a paladin standing back allowing the party to take all the risks while he keeps trying something that is not working and has his goddess (the DM) letting him know look your chances are not very good is coming close to violating his oaths.

Greg K

Legend
Sorry if this seems obtuse, but why didn't the shaman move behind the paladin in the first round? Why did the shaman stand toe to toe with the dracolich?

My godbrother and I were trying to remember the details surrounding that (the campaign ended about 9 years ago). We recall that that the cavalier and barbarian were paralyzed (fear?). We can't recall if the Shaman was also. We also remember the bridge they were on being destroyed separating the party. However, we can't recall what led to the Shaman being closest. We just recall that he was and suspect that he might have be paralyzed as well- people were rolling poorly that encounter is what we recall.

And, did the paladin actually have any chance of success? If not, did either of the two visions state that?
Yes. I had scaled down the dracolich. However, I don't recall if dracoliches were immune to turning and I removed the immunity or the character had a chance. However, he had a chance albeit remote. he was told he would need something extremely high on the d20 like a natural 18 or higher (again, we can't recall the exact number other than the chance was very unlikely).

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
There is another issue though too. In what way is a double digit level caster (I'm making an assumption here that the group is double digit levels - they are fighting a dracolich after all) considered the "weak"? Again, why wouldn't the shaman disengage and back off from the dragon? Like, maybe, move behind the paladin? The shaman had at least two rounds to back off (he got dropped in the third round - again implying a pretty sturdy individual to be able to stand by himself for two rounds with a dragon) but chose to stay?

Of course the shaman could have... but it was the paladins ethos to defend the weak from the front line of combat... it was not the shaman's ethos to fall back behind the paladin. Only one character didn't live up to the ethos their deity exemplifies.

Look, none of us know what's going on at that table. We only have this tiny slice that GregK has posted, so, obviously I really can't make any sort of definitive judgement. I can only judge what's been presented. As presented, I have to admit, I disagree with the DM here. The paladin took a chance on a power that would end the fight instantly. He had multiple opportunities to use that power - it's not a one shot thing - so he tried again. Now, if he knew he had zero chance of success, well, that's a different kettle of fish.

It's not about his chances of success (and let's be honest here he took numerous chances on a power that would end the fight instantly while leaving weaker comrades on the front line defenseless)... it's about what the deity the player chose to follow exemplifies. The deity didn't exemplify fighting from a distance, or turning undead from a distance or even attacking from behind the front lines... it exemplified defending the weak while in the front line of battle... the paladin had multiple rounds to do this and chose not to.

But, losing character abilities because he chose to stay in the fight, but, not in the way the DM thought was the way he should stay in the fight? Yeah, I'm not going to agree with that. Had the paladin run away? Oh, sure, total violation there. But, as presented, no, I would not rule this way and as the paladin player, I'd be pretty pissed if my DM did.

It's not about how the DM thought he should. I mean even with your example of running... maybe the paladin is trying to lead the Dracolich away from his companions thus he shouldn't loose his powers for running either if the Dracolich chooses not to follow... but is that what his deities tenets/ethos/behavior hold as ideal? As the player you should have picked a deity that exemplified such tactics like a god whose known for turning the tide of battle without violence... what you don't do is play a paladin of a god whose tenets revolve around being on the front line and protecting the weak then stand in the back and try to turn an undead over and over again while weaker memebers are attacked.

Greg K

Legend
On the other hand it could just be hubris... stupidity... stubbornness... or guided by any number of other motivations, the facts are that he was a paladin of a god whose tenets included defense of the weak from the front line... The relevant question is... did he embody these ideals in his actions? Another question I'd be curious to know the answer to was did the player and his comrades think he did...

Oh, it was, partially, stubbornness on the player. He was determined to make that roll. He was also being very cautious about going toe to toe with the creature thinking that he had little chance of harming it or surviving the encounter.

As for what the other players thought? They were telling him after the initial attempt failed to forget turning the creature and to get on the front line and protect the shaman like his deity would expect (the first time the paladin was introduced into the campaign, the reputation of paladin's from the order serving his deity was made clear. The rogue refused to try and pick pocket him out of fear and decided on the barbarian). Anyway, upon charging to try and defend the shaman, the rogue turned to the Paladin and called him a coward and disgrace.

EDIT: I would think his faith would be best exemplified and most powerful when he is acting in accordance with the deity he follows...

That is my thinking and was shared by the players whom were telling him to protect the shaman.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
oh, I already know from your post history that our preferred approaches are opposed. To me there is the setting and things like deity's and their tenets are (or should be) set by the GM. The player builds their characters within what is determined for the setting, its cultures, etc. If they want to play a character that gets their power through a deity or a pact with some powerful creature (i.e., demon, devil, fae), the player does not set the terms, but agrees to pre-set terms and conditions.

I'm with Pemerton on this -- the player should have input on how her character worships the relevant divinity -- it's a shared narrative experience.

Reading this post made me want to add XP to Pemerton, unfortunately I had to spread it around.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=18]Ruin Explorer[/MENTION] - your posts 215 and 216 are very good, but unfortunately I can't give you XP at this time.

It's not a "win" to do that, because that requires meta-game "knowledge" that orcs are always evil and impossible to redeem, even though love and faith, miracles and the divine! Knowledge, too, of something not true in normal D&D games/settings (certainly not the FR). Rather the DM has decided this, and when the PCs don't agree, inserts this meta-game knowledge and insists they act accordingly.
There's no dilemma for anyone who is Good. There is only one course, which is to try to save them. Neutral or Evil PCs might face a dilemma, but not Good PCs.

(It could become a dilemma if, by saving them, you had to risk other lives in a more immediate way - i.e. had to divert from stopping a dragon or something - but that's really just asking for splitting the party or the like.)

<snip>

PCs who aren't Good may have a choice, but most PCs, in my experience, are Good.

<snip>

D&D is a world of magic and miracles. There's a first time for everything. Orcs aren't demons in any mainstream D&D setting I'm aware of, they're living beings who make choices, and can choose not to be Evil, even if it's really hard. This world was the FR, specifically. The Paladin's brave counter-argument, was, as I recall, more or less that miracles happen, and it seemed to him that doing this not only broke his code, but dishonoured the gods by not allowing for that miracle (even if orcs were auto-evil).

<snip>

If we have orcs as manufactured monstrosities, created in the spawning-pits by a wizard, programmed from birth with pre-coded instructions from which they cannot deviate, that's something else, without the same moral dilemma, but it's also not what we had here (and it's basically "biomechanoids" or "robots", rather than typical fantasy orcs, I'd suggest).
What you describe in these posts is, to me, an example of excellent paladin/cleric play - the conviction that miracles happen, and that divine providence is both a mystery and an inevitable reality. And a parallel conviction that human choices have to be humble in the face of that reality.

In my experience, it's not always easy to predict which way players will go with this sort of stuff. For instance, sometimes they (via their PCs) might express the view that they are agents of divine providence in the gameworld, and hence have their PCs do something that the GM wasn't expecting, and perhaps isn't even comfortable with. Your group decided to save the babies. Their humility is displayed by choosing to do the right thing, and not taking it upon themselves to be the sole authors of whatever consequences ensue - the miracle of redemption is always possible, and it's not their place to foreclose the matter via murder.

I could imagine a different group, by reasoning along very similar lines, might decide to kill the babies - they have been sent as agents of providence to free the world of the scourge of orcs, and if that means killing babies then so be it. What the babies did to deserve death, and their fate in the next life, is a matter for the gods to know - mere humans don't take responsibility for such matters.

I think the fact that different players, playing with basically the same tropes and thematic outlook, can come to very different responses, is an excellent reason for the GM to let the events of play take their course. When I GM an RPG, what I am hoping and looking for (among other things) is to see my players engage in a sincere and spontaneous way with these sorts of thematic issues. I want to be moved, surprised, sometimes even enraged, by their choices! Sticking my bib in as GM, to tell them how they should really choose, would be self-defeating and pointless.

being basically good IRL are never going to remotely comfortable with this genocidal approach/not-even-god-can-redeem-them approach (which would work for demons/undead), so there is an impasse.
PCs are played by human beings who actually care about stuff and have moral limits. No matter how many times a DM explains it's okay for me to kill helpless babies of a decision-making, binary-gendered, learning species, I am not going to agree. Nor would almost any adult I'd game with.
I think this is another good point. If my players come at a situation in a different way from me, because of their particular moral, aesthetic or other emotional/evaluative response, why would I want to force them to disregard their own reactions and embrace mine? Why would I want to turn their PCs into characters they would prefer not to identify with?

is that not the essence of faith? To believe in the power of his god, to trust that the divine will manifest its might through him and defeat the evil, even though the rest of the world scoffs?

If anything, there's an argument that this is exactly the type of paladin behaviour you should be rewarding, instead of punishing.

Tactically, the player chose a low-probability but high-reward strategy.I think that denying the paladin player that option is excessive.

<snip>

I think that this is an example of micromanaging player choices, which is the temptation of paladins for DMs, and should be avoided.
On the other hand it could just be hubris... stupidity... stubbornness... or guided by any number of other motivations, the facts are that he was a paladin of a god whose tenets included defense of the weak from the front line... The relevant question is... did he embody these ideals in his actions? Another question I'd be curious to know the answer to was did the player and his comrades think he did
upon charging to try and defend the shaman, the rogue turned to the Paladin and called him a coward and disgrace.
Like [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] said, in commenting on this episode I can only talk about what's been presented, and use it to make some more general points about my own approach to GMing.

Was the paladin being appropriately faithful/trusting? Or hubristic? Or cowardly, as the player of the rogue alleged? I don't think it's my job as GM to stipulate an answer to this by playing the paladin's god. If the d20 roll comes up 18, the paladin was in the right! If the whole things turns into a fiasco, and his companions shun him or jibe him or make him pay for the Raise Dead or whatever, then it turns out he was wrong, and was being hubristic.

To me, it's a bit like the player of any PC coming up with, and then trying to implement, a wacky plan and other players criticising it as too risky, too crazy, whatever. Let the play of the game, the roll of the dice and the responses of the players to what actually happens sort it out.

If the GM is going to decide in advance what does or doesn't count as good play - via the sort of "micromanaging" that GSHamster describes - then what is the role of the players?

His deity gave him insight which let him know that his Turn attempts were almost impossible to pull off against such a foe, hinting that he should (due to greater probability of success) rather engage in melee should he wish to save his comrades.

<snip>

He purposefully ignored the vision sent to him by his deity. Not once, but twice, while his allies were desperately scrambling to do his work/his duty. Engaging the dragon in melee is his sworn duty, attempting to Turn is calling upon the Deity of his power. When the deity tells you the latter is not a viable option and you persist, you are directly disobeying a superior's orders.

<snip>

This part you (the player) already agreed to when you signed up to the play the character, too late to throw that in as a problem.
It is true of the PC that he is sworn to carry out his god's will. But the player is there to play a game, not just to dance to the GM's tune.

It's one thing for the GM to provide the player with relevant information (eg that the chance of successful turning is very low). But if the player decides to continue taking that chance (eg because the player has decided that the chance of success in melee is comparably low or even lower), then I don't see that it's the GM's job to step in and micromanage.

Fine, but then you're using a reskinning technique. No problem, I've done it in the past, but what you have here is a player that wants to play a cleric or paladin, but prefers the mechanics of the fighter or rogue class.
I don't agree with this analysis.

One of the PCs in my 4e game is a drow sorcerer/bard, who is also a Primordial Adept (theme) and Emergent Primordial (epic destiny), in the service of Chan, Queen of Good Air Elemental Creatures. The same character is also a member of a secret, primarily drow, sect that worships Corellon and is devoted to liberating the drow from the yoke of Lolth and undoing the sundering of the elves. He wears a symbol of Corellon which (being a symbol of the god of magic) lets him recall a low-level spell once per day (a bit like a Pearl of Power; in the 4e system it is a species of divine boon from DMG2).

This character is not a reskin. But divine (or quasi-divine, in the case of the primordial Chan) entities are as central to the play of this character, arguably moreso, than they are to the play of the cleric-ranger in the party (who is an undead and demon hunter devotee of the Raven Queen, but who mostly remains aloof from the theological arguments that increasingly break out among the other PCs).

D&D, at least as I play it, is a game in which supernatural forces are rife, and real, and play a role in the lives of characters beyond those with the divine power source. This approach is the clear default for 4e, but I think has been an implicit approach in other editions too - eg the war between Law and Chaos in early D&D and B/X, and the role in the Greyhawk campaign of gods, demigods and demons that Gygax talks about in his DMG. I think it makes for fun and satisfying high/gonzo fantasy RPGing - the tropes are readily available and reliable, the stakes can be drawn clearly yet have a degree of thematic depth and resonance, and it marks a difference between fantasy gaming and simply mediaeval gaming with a veneer of magic on top. (Not that there's anything wrong with the latter - but I personally wouldn't use D&D for it.)

In this style of game, leaving the players with a meaningful sphere of action means the GM leaving it to them to decide, to a significant extent, what the gods demand and what counts as honouring those demands. For instance, with the sorcerer I mentioned, it is the player who has decided that this cult exists, and that Corellon wants them to undo the sundering of the elves, and hence that the proper attitude towards Lolth-worshippig drow is pity rather than hatred. I'm not going to step in and rewrite all this - that wouldn't make for a better game. My attitude towards the player of a paladin or cleric is the same.

It treats D&D as a game without an implied setting

<snip>

I don't go to D&D for generic fantasy, I go to it for a specific kind of D&Dish fantasy, and in that kind of fantasy a character with the fighter abilities is powered by himself, while a character with the abilities of a paladin is powered by an external source.
I don't really understand this point - I agree that D&D has an implied setting. But as I've tried to explain, both in my previous paragraph and in my quote from Gygax and in my reference to the Law/Chaos war that was an element of earlier D&D, I think an inherent aspect of that implied setting is that not just the clerics and paladins are bound up with supernatural forces.

Basically, you don't have a problem with attitude, it's a matter of intensity
This sounds like an allusion/reference to something, but if it is I've not got it, sorry.

But treating it literally - my problem is with a GM unilaterally contradicting a player's conception of his/her PC, and what is proper for that PC, and on that basis rewriting the PC. If the player and GM want to rewrite the PC together - eg the player deliberately chooses to have his/her PC turn on his/her god - then that's a different thing altogether. And, as I said, there is plenty of material over multiple editions of D&D to support the player and GM working out consequences together.

For our group to abandon the paradigm of DM judgement, it would have to mean an immediate and real improvement to our game, that we don't see happening.
I don't think anyone is asking you to play the same as them. But I don't see how the 5e paladin (as presented, say, in the last playtest packet with one LG and one LN/N oath) makes it hard for you to do what you want to do.

Nowadays my default DM solution to the "baby orc" dilemma is to avoid it entirely

<snip>

I consider it a special case of the "prisoner dilemma" i.e. what does the party do with prisoners. Similarly, I don't dwell on the prisoner dilemma nowadays unless it's a major theme of the campaign. My game time is valuable and I don't find the issue interesting most of the time.
I don't use baby orcs/goblins whatever - when the PCs in my game assault goblin or hobgoblin fortresses there are no non-combatants. They've never asked where the children and civilian goblins are, and I've never felt any need to address this.

Prisoners, on the other hand, are a recurring part of my game. The wizard/invoker has a habit of killing them, which shocks the other PCs (and their players). More often , prisoners are released on their own parole, after swearing appropriate oaths etc. Except in one or two special cases where it was known to the players from the get-go that the prisoner was not going to keep faith, the whole table has always taken it for granted that these prisoners keep their word and don't go back to their lives of wrongdoing. Or to put it another way (which fits with your comment about "valuable table time") - the decision to parole the prisoners is about the players expressing their PCs' values; it's not about setting up a potential challenge/threat to recur in the future (the exception being that small number of special cases where it's obvious in the whole situation that this is what is happening).

Remove ads