D&D General Is character class an in-world concept in your campaigns?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yes, unless you change them. And the word you are looking for is incapable, not inept.

I meant inept. Nice to know that your D&d gods lack the skill and power to grant followers arcane casting - except warlocks apparently - dunno what’s going on there - as in your games that should be impossible.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Your argument is irrelevant, though. A flamestrike is a cleric spell. Unless the bard is 10th level or higher and has used one of his precious few magical secrets on it, it doesn't matter who sings what. Even then, after seeing a few more spells it's going be apparent who's the bard and who's the cleric.
To who? Who are these people who know what the classes are and what their spell lists are, and can flawlessly recognize each spell when it’s cast? Do people in your worlds go around talking about how “Cleric Dan cast Flamestrike on that bandit captain, and the Captain was all, ‘oh crap they’ve got a Cleric y’all that was the Cleric spell Flamestrike we better run!’”?

Also it’s funny that you went from ardently insisting that bards have to make music to cast, and when I showed that isn’t true, you just dodged away with “that’s irrelevant!” Instead of admitting you were wrong about that aspect of the discussion.

And if your heart and soul are your gods then it seems to me that your music or oratory performance has a source of your god no?
Absolutely. And since no one knows what spell list a cleric has, because that sentence is full of mechanical concepts that don’t exactly translate into the game world, and don’t apply to NPCs by default, no one can tell that the Bard is a bard.
Simple fact is, a Bard can orate (Recite psalms) to cast spells, and so can a cleric.
Not in mechanical terms, no. Only the cleric has his spells granted by his god as the divine source of his power. The bard may FEEL that the god is the source, but arcane is the real source.
All magic is from the weave in 5e, IIRC, not that that matters at all to the actual topic.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I meant inept. Nice to know that your D&d gods lack the skill and power to grant followers arcane casting - except warlocks apparently - dunno what’s going on there - as in your games that should be impossible.
Are the gods so inept that they cannot snap their fingers and annihilate the entire multiverse?

Dude, the gods are not all powerful. They are not "inept" just because they cannot grant arcane spells.

FrogReaver

Are the gods so inept that they cannot snap their fingers and annihilate the entire multiverse?

Dude, the gods are not all powerful. They are not "inept" just because they cannot grant arcane spells.

It’s Inept when a god can’t do it but a lesser being like a powerful but non-god celestial, fey or fiend can grant arcane powers...

To who? Who are these people who know what the classes are and what their spell lists are, and can flawlessly recognize each spell when it’s cast? Do people in your worlds go around talking about how “Cleric Dan cast Flamestrike on that bandit captain, and the Captain was all, ‘oh crap they’ve got a Cleric y’all that was the Cleric spell Flamestrike we better run!’”?

Also it’s funny that you went from ardently insisting that bards have to make music to cast, and when I showed that isn’t true, you just dodged away with “that’s irrelevant!” Instead of admitting you were wrong about that aspect of the discussion.

Absolutely. And since no one knows what spell list a cleric has, because that sentence is full of mechanical concepts that don’t exactly translate into the game world, and don’t apply to NPCs by default, no one can tell that the Bard is a bard.
Simple fact is, a Bard can orate (Recite psalms) to cast spells, and so can a cleric.

All magic is from the weave in 5e, IIRC, not that that matters at all to the actual topic.
Look a little deeper into what the weave is and the information that exists out there about it. (Also are you sure divine magic comes from it? If so something pretty interesting happened.

I think at this point it takes a pretty narrow mind set ro even utter "inept" in relevance to beings who can grant that many caster levels in broad band just because the frequencies dont happen to include all frequencies...

FrogReaver

Look a little deeper into what the weave is and the information that exists out there about it. (Also are you sure divine magic comes from it? If so something pretty interesting happened.

I think at this point it takes a pretty narrow mind set ro even utter "inept" in relevance to beings who can grant that many caster levels in broad band just because the frequencies dont happen to include all frequencies...

I think it takes a narrower mindset not to be willing to consider that it could be legitimately categorized as ineptness

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases