• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Is Counterspell less frustrating now?

the Jester

Legend
I think this is better than it was before, but not great. The fact that it targets Con saves seems like a weird choice for a spellcaster-messing-with spell.

My preference for counterspell is as it is at present (caster makes a check), but you always have to make a check to succeed; and you have disadvantage if the spell being countered is higher level; and maybe you have advantage if it's lower level.

I do like the "don't lose the slot if countered" bit from the playtest.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I feel like this is way more frustrating for the people the ability is for: players. congratulations, it's harder to pull off and just delays the spell instead of stopping it.

DMs though... hey, you can just bypass the players with a Legendary Cheat The Players and keep rolling out them rails.

No reason to take it for a player.

Stalker0

Legend
So the changes are now that it requires a saving throw from the target and that the spell slot is now longer lost now if countered.
So the major difference to me is now legendary resistance works against counterspell, meaning your boss monster isn't immediately destroyed on the first counterspell.

The spell slot doesn't matter to the monsters but players will certainly appreciate it.

I think overall its a good change. Is it good enough to have me unban counterspell in my games......eh probably not but I'd give this a shot.

I can also say that BG3 has done counter spell no favors in terms of making it look balanced, it is SO DAMN GOOD in that game, just ridiculously good. hehe that and guidance, if you can play BG3 all the way through and tell me guidance isn't the best cantrip in the game with a straight face, then I just assume you like failing things:)

Stalker0

Legend
The fact that it targets Con saves seems like a weird choice for a spellcaster-messing-with spell.
Its the same logic as con saves for concentration.

There is actually an interesting flavor there, that though spells are powered by your "mental stats" there is a physical connection to the body. This is why concentration is a con save, and why damaging the body can disrupt magic even though a caster can juggle a dozen other mental tasks but keep a spell going just fine.

Scribe

Legend
I can also say that BG3 has done counter spell no favors in terms of making it look balanced, it is SO DAMN GOOD in that game, just ridiculously good. hehe that and guidance, if you can play BG3 all the way through and tell me guidance isn't the best cantrip in the game with a straight face, then I just assume you like failing things

I likely won't play through BG3 without both being provided by my party.

I'm dismayed at the counterspell hate.

I think it's a great tool. (UU Forever!)

I'm dismayed at the counterspell hate.
It just slows the game down and makes it dumber. That's literally the sole impact it has. The game becomes more boring and less tactical, great, awesome thanks. The smarter your players are, the worse the impact, too (conversely with dumb-as-rocks players it's fine).

OB1

Jedi Master
On the one hand, I'll miss the drama of rolling to try and counterspell a higher level spell. On the other, I love the simplicity of this and the thematics. I do think it should explicitly force a concentration check. If monsters get to use LR, players should get to use Warcaster (or any other concentration helping feature).

Remove ads