Is D&D 4E too "far out" to expand the market easily?

This thread was caused by thinking about this post:

A) Dungeons & Dragons has become increasing distant from its medieval fantasy origins and these creatures just seem to reinforce that. I feel the starter book should have a more basic array of creatures and said beings should be a bit more classic. After looking through the 4E Player's Handbook, a non-gamer female friend said to me, "Are there any Dragons or Dungeons in this game? This looks like another planet. Its like Star Wars."

I imagine she is one of the people that WotC/Hasbro is trying to market to...a creative and intelligent young professional who doesn't buy their product but might. She is a history buff and a fan of classic literature but sees nothing of the mass market elements she expects to see that might interest her. It doesn't look like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. It looks weird and confusing. She's in consulting and marketing herself btw.

On the subject, I thought fantasy RPGs did better then SF ones because they are based on a recognizable past we can all reference the same way.

Of course this choice of a change in atmosphere is directly related to...

B) The art. I just don't like it that much but specifically I'm not a big fan of the designs of these two creatures. The Dragonborn do not look like Draogn Men to me but rather evoke images of Predator and D'Argo from Farscape. The Tiefling of late is a different colored Draenai. Not interesting to me at all as I've seen it before.

Now, let it be clear that I don't dislike Dragonborn and I like the concept of Tieflings (albeit not the particular "look" they have in 4E), but I do think that Green Adam is on to something here. Now, fantasy is inherently "far out" to some degree, but what I'm wondering is, is 4E's basic setting so far out that it loses touch with reality entirely and becomes hard to relate to? Obviously, I'm actually interested in opinions, because I can see it both ways, myself. Is it still grounded enough but perhaps teetering on the edge of "too unreal", I wonder.

I wonder because most popular non-gaming fantasy, whether it's LotRO, or Harry Potter, or what-have-you, posit human-o-centric universes, and previously D&D very much did this. In 4E, it explicitly doesn't, the assumption being (according to the setting development book, at least), that non-human is always more interesting than human. Why have a human miner when you can have a dwarven miner? etc.

Personally, I can certainly feel that as a factor pushing me away from the default setting, and to a lesser extent away from the game as a whole. It's not the rules, let's be clear, they're fine. It's the setting, and it's explicit ultra-high fantasy-ness. It's hard to put the feeling into words without slipping into false perjoratives or using dodgy examples, so I'll try to avoid that. I look at the art of 4E, though, and I very much do see Star Wars, and a world that's extremely distant from ours, almost incomprehensible on any level other than as part of game. I think the difference between 4E and previous editions of D&D isn't so much that this stuff wasn't there before - it mostly was - but rather that it's deeply integrated in the game and kind of present from the get-go. I guess what I'm saying is that the basic level of fantasy in D&D 4E seems so high that I can't really get a handle on how life would be in such a world, and I suspect that it's likely to actually kind of shock any non-gamer coming to D&D.

I mean, coming from something like WoW, you're going to be fine. D&D's implied setting and level of species diversity is very much "on-par" with WoW. Coming from say, a fantasy lit. reading background, or from watching things like LotRO and Harry Potter, though, I think it's going to be a bit wild and extreme, and coming from outside fantasy entirely, I think the world 4E portrays implicitly is so alien that it would extremely difficult to meaningfully connect with. Maybe that's not a big deal, though, given 4E's focus on just providing a good game.

What are your thoughts? Did 4E hit exactly the right level of fantastic-ness? Too much? Too little, even? Does this really matter to 4E's long-term success? Is 4E even likely to meaningfully expand D&D's market anyway, I guess is perhaps another valid question. I wonder perhaps if there's room for a more human and grounded, but equally playable fantasy RPG out there. I think 4E's general rules design makes it wildly more capable of getting new players in and having fun than other RPGs (including 3.5E, Pathfinder, Runequest etc.), but just as much I wonder if the setting is helping or hurting.

Snoweel

First Post
I'm happy with the level of fantasy in 4e.

But back when 3e came out I was very much into the simulationist humanocentric side of the game - to the point where I only allowed human PCs, and even elves and dwarves were portrayed as alien beings.

I've gone off simulationism now. I just want good rules and the ability to play out good stories - and I've come to the realisation that more fantastic is better.

mmadsen

First Post
"Are there any Dragons or Dungeons in this game? This looks like another planet. It's like Star Wars."​
Wow. I think that says it very well. There's nothing wrong with wahoo, but it's not to everyone's taste, and it's much harder to scale back than to scale up.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I don't see the implicit setting -- though I'm not even sure I beleive such a thing exists -- as 'too fantastic' as regards previous editions. Humans didn't mean squat in other editions, either; in fact, 3E and now 4E were the only editions that gave you a reason to play a human at all. (In fact, in 3E+ is the first time since I've played D&D [almost 30 years now] that I've seen mostly-human parties).

I also don't think it's too odd or far-apart from the fantasy literature of our day unless one is specifically and foremost an accept-no-substitutes Tolkien fanatic. People that might come from Harry Potter and many other books will actually wonder why D&D has so little magic in it. The sheer number of intelligent non-humans might give them pause, though.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Seems like if everybody at the table goes "Ugh, no Star Trek alien lookin races" and the group wants to dump dragonborn or tieflings, that isn't that hard a change to make, though.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Nope. It's not too far out. If non-Tolkien-esque races were a deal breaker for the public, then Runequest with its Ducks, Jack Vance's Dying Earth with its Pelgranes, Buffy with its 'good' demons, Farscape with its amphibious, diminutive, multi-stomached, deposed monarchs and so forth would have utterly failed to capture an audience. As it turns out, it seems that most people want more 'new' and 'different', rather than more of 'the same old thing' :hmm:

AllisterH

First Post
That's kind of weird isn't it?

I mean, weren't dragonborn brought in BECAUSE people wanted to play Dragon races? I mean, looking at the history of 3.x, I'd argue that dragon-style races were the most popular non core race. We got dragon shamans, half-dragon templates, dragon disciples etc and frankly, they SOLD. How many "dragon" themed sourcebooks did WOTC produce? I could see say one sourcebook on dragons but there were more than three and SOMEONE had to be buying all of it.

I always assumed that it was to appeal to the wider audience that things like half-orcs and gnomes got dropped in favour of dragonborn and tieflings.

Gnomes for example, only appear in things like "David the Gnome" and that Traveller Gnome. Not exactly stuff that screams "I want to be THAT race" whereas the half-orc is pretty much absent from non D&D fiction.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I always assumed that it was to appeal to the wider audience that things like half-orcs and gnomes got dropped in favour of dragonborn and tieflings.

I'm pretty certain that you're right. As you mention, demon-like and dragon-like humanoids have always been a popular choice for D&D PCs, especially so in D&D 3x, with numerous sourcebook entries dedicated to them. Of course, the prevalence of 'good monsters' in pop culture -- from the 'demons' of Buffy and Angel to the 'freaks' of the BPRD -- cannot be ignored, either. The public really seems to like the idea of playing 'good monsters' and the designers of 4e seem to be aware of this.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My dislike of portions of 4Ed is no secret, but I'm also a realist.

I can't see the game as having anything but very good short term success. Some of the elements I dislike may even contribute to expanding the game's market far beyond the hobby as it is today.

In a sense, it almost seems designed to appeal to a larger, tangentially related market, even if it means that some of the legacy consumers don't come along for the ride.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4Ed gained 2 new players for each old one lost...at least for the next year or so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases