• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is DM fiat okay?

Is DM fiat ok?

• Yes

Votes: 270 89.4%
  • No

Votes: 32 10.6%

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Crothian said:
Then people would just complain and argue about the defintion I used. :\
Perhaps, but they'd at least know what you specifically meant and would be less likely to argue past each other from different definitions.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Gold Roger said:
I don't think an exact definition of DM fiat is needed. Just asume your not playing with jerks and then think wether under those circumstances the general concept of DM fiat is ok for you.

I mean, when I ask, do you like pizza, do you ask what kind, or do you just say what you think of the concept pizza?
Well, if I have reason to suspect that by "pizza" you mean calzone, I think that a clarification would be in order. Obviously there are several definitions of "DM fiat" going around. Under the circumstances, it looks as though it would help discussion to clarify which one we're talking about.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Players and Game Masters are human. What people who've been role playing for a while are running up against is the reverse conversion of video game to table top.

I feel that the frustration for players - especially those new to gaming - is that they want to jump in and know who's capable of what, up front. The frustration for long term Game Masters, I think, is that we really don't know how to teach the video game generation to use their own imaginations and we have the idea that doing so isn't part of the job description.

That said, as a long-term player and GM, I have played some characters (particularly pregens) mechanically, until I get a feel for the character and truly OWN him/her/zir/it.

Felix

Explorer
Awkward said:
This is not to say that the DM can't write up new monsters, or magic items, or whatnot, but he should use the guidelines provided for doing so.
DM Fiat allows DM's to say, "I have a reason for this, so quit second guessing the NPC's ability to do X, which you think he shouldn't be able to do, and move on. Jones, it's your character's initiative; what do you do?" It protects the game from belligerent players.

Zhaleskra said:
What people who've been role playing for a while are running up against is the reverse conversion of video game to table top.
Oh, boy... here it comes. *jumps behind couch*

Gold Roger

First Post
el-remmen said:
Wait, we are talking about playing with gamers, right? ;)

Bah, I'm young, all you old men have already taken the good spots on cynic plane :p

Well, if I have reason to suspect that by "pizza" you mean calzone, I think that a clarification would be in order. Obviously there are several definitions of "DM fiat" going around. Under the circumstances, it looks as though it would help discussion to clarify which one we're talking about.

DM Fiat: The DMs right to rule based on his own judgment, superseeding raw.

Quick, simple, broad, scetchy. A concept. Do you agree with the concept y/n. Would you agree, but only if the concept is carried out a certain way? Then add comments.

Some people may say that discussing only the broad term lacks supstance. I think loosing yourself over details, without answering the big questions first, leads nowhere.

This thread of course, gives us the choice for both- the broad picture via poll, while minitua can be discussed out in the thread discussion.

Felix

Explorer
Zhaleskra said:
There is nothing wrong with running an RPG like a video game if that's what everybody at the table (GM included) wants.
Sure. But stating that people are having problems because all people suffer from a reverse video-game effect as a fact tends to generate... unpleasantness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads