• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is gaming without map and minis really bad?

Settembrini

First Post
From the Red Box set:

This game doesn’t have a board, because
you won’t need one. Besides, no
board could have all the dungeons,
dragons, monsters, and characters you
will need!

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Settembrini said:
From the Red Box set:

This game doesn’t have a board, because
you won’t need one. Besides, no
board could have all the dungeons,
dragons, monsters, and characters you
will need!

That sounds just lazy, unless you mean the Red Box set circa 197x.

But for gaming, I need a map for combats, to see where i am and waht is going on. Miniatures are not needed as coins, poker chips and whatever is lying around does as well.

I own about 50 miniatures, and while the player characters don't change, I pay no attention to what the miniature is supposed to be when setting up encounters.

EditorBFG

Explorer
I play without maps or minis and I like it fine. Sometimes, if we can't figure something out, the GM scribbles a little picture.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, it's not necessary to have a battlegrid and miniatures. It's a convenience to have them -- and I probably wouldn't want to try a 100-person battle without them, so at some point, a convenience becomes essentially a necessity -- and in some ways, it's liberating to do without them.

Whisper72

Explorer
Meh... been playing the game for 21 years now, and never used a miniature. I DO draw out combat situations, sketch out rooms etc.

Pen n Paper... my trusted friends...

As for battles of 100+ I narrate more, and only fight out the close combats around the PC's.

Nadaka

First Post
There is nothing wrong with not using a map and figures if everyone in your group has basic spatial reasoning. I have had quite a few people that just don't grok the ideas of distance, position, space or movement if they can not see it first hand.

Li Shenron

Legend
If you want to use all the 3ed rules for combat "with utter precision", I think you are going to need a map, whatever simple and rough it is. Certain things like cover, AoO because of movement, flanking, reach... are too hard to keep in mind.

But then who says that you HAVE to play the game with such a level of precision? Sometimes it's fun, other times it could be tedious. If the players agree that they don't bother too much about precision, and they trust the DM, it is perfetly acceptable to play without a map. DM's description can suffice in this case (although IMHO even showing a picture of the place is a great help), and the DM can make up some decision on the spot about cover etc.

You definitely need trust from the player, because sometimes you might rule (for example) that a move action isn't enough to close to the enemy, instead of being barely enough. Without a map, the DM decision is essentially random. However, if the player is able to accept this "randomness" just as he accepts any other randomness in the game, then the game works.

It happens often to me to run an encounter this way. In situations like when you're in a mostly featureless environment (e.g. an empty hall, a plain or desert, underwater/airborne) or when you're in a pseudo-random environment (a forest with trees in random positions), and you're fighting a single enemy, it is often not worth to keep track of everybody's positions. Most often the PC will gather around the enemy and attack from every directions, so it's enough to decide how many of them get the flanking benefit for example, but not necessarily to draw the positions exactly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads