Is humanity still evolving?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The big question is "Is there a difference between evolution and genetic engineering?" If I introduce genes to my child that improve her eyesite (boost rod & cone production), and those changes are transmitted to her children...is that evolution or engineering? If those traits are still breeding true in a thousand years, what is it? What if. after thirty thousand years, every human is one of her descendants and has those traits?

I think that's evolution. I don't know how much of this discussion is semantics, though. I think that if the outcome is the same, the exact route isn't that important (other than as a curiosity).

Descartes

Explorer
I believe all living creatures are evolving with each new generation but it may take 100s of yrs to see the actual difference. If a creature evolves at a rate comparable to the environmental conditions its evolving to, that determines if it continues to live or becomes extinct.

I sometimes worry that we are mutating at a much faster rate. That is we are introducing changes into ourselves that would not have happened without our interference. One of my biggest sci-fi fears is what if one of the perservatives used in Twinkies has done irrepairable harm to our genes that won't be fully realized for another hundred years and we've been eating them for over 80 yrs.

I'm 40 yrs old and I don't remember anyone with peanut or gluten allergies to the extent they would need an epi-pen when I was in school. Apparently nowadays there are separate tables for the allergy kids in the cafeterias at school.

Nellisir

Hero
I'm 40 yrs old and I don't remember anyone with peanut or gluten allergies to the extent they would need an epi-pen when I was in school. Apparently nowadays there are separate tables for the allergy kids in the cafeterias at school.
The fact that food and respiratory allergies align with income suggests environmental considerations, rather than genetic, at least for now.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db121.htm

(I make an effort to get my daughter out-of-doors and around/handling animals; I don't know if that's why, but she doesn't have any allergies, hurrah))

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I mean, we're getting taller and our lifespans are increasing. That's evolution. It's happening in response to our environment: our environment is one becoming more technological and with better nutrition, and we're changing right along with it. But then getting shorter and our lifespans decreasing would be evolution, too - just not as appealing!
That is not evolution. Mammals react this way (grow taller, live longer) when they have lots of food and live in sanitary conditions, plus modern medicine.

As long as their are traits and abilities that can change and affect the likelihood of creating offspring and we still need to create offspring for humanity to survive, there will be evolution.

Maybe we'll evolve to be more cancer-resistant - at least the types of cancer that hit us early enough to limit our ability to have children. But maybe we don't need to gain this as biological ability because our technology and medicine takes care of that. but then maybe being accepting of such life-enhancing technologies might become a positive trait (just as te ability to develop such life-enhancing tech and meds would).

I do think we are changing sometimes not for the best. Due to advances in medical science we now save people with genetic issues so that they can go on and have children and pass these issues on and keep them in the gene pool. On the other hand this same medical science allows us to live longer healthier lives.

I would see this as change for the better. Evolution is neutral, so it doesn't really care. What killed people before they had children two hundred years ago, doesn't now because of advances in medicine (though antibiotics are becoming less effective so some of that could change). Two hundred years ago the qualities needed for survival are different than those needed today. But our ability to improve things for our species and enable people to survive who otherwise would have died in the past is, from our vantage point, a good thing. Two hundred years ago, I would be dead because I have crohns and have had several abcesses that would have killed me without antibiotics and complex surgery. Two hundred years ago, many of you would be dead because of childhood illness or foodborne infections. If you read much history its always striking how many kings, emperors and other very powerful people did from what today would be a relatively minor infection.

Remove ads