D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
I'm perfectly fine with 1-10 adventure paths, that's the zone of DnD I prefer anyway and I have enjoyed the stories thus far they've put out. Well, I've only run a few of them, but I liked them. Curse of Strahd might be the best so far.
I think the lack of high level content perpetuates the attitude that D&D isn't playable past the "sweet spot."

Birmy

Adventurer
I was personally kind of hoping for a Flumph centered campaign world. I was really looking forward to the thought of finally getting Flumphville details with Papa Flumph, Jokey Flumph and so on. Like how does Clumsy Flumph not accidentally kill himself by tripping and flipping himself upside down? Inquiring minds want to know!

Also looking forward to a fun phrase-guide specifics like Flumphilicious or Flumpherific.

Oh well. WOTC has crushed yet another dream. :cry:

You know, all kidding aside, this would totally sell on DMs Guild.

jgsugden

Legend
Regarding the borders of the Sword Coast.... When in doubt, do 3 seconds of research... Sword Coast. It is the region just South of Waterdeep that extends South down to the Cloud Peaks just north of Amn.

The Sword Coast, not to be confused with the Sword Coast North, was the region in western Faerûn that lay along the coast of the Sea of Swords[1] and extended inward into to the vale.[2] It was bordered by the Delimbiyr Vale in the North,[3] and to the south by the merchant nation of Amn.[1]
  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ed Greenwood (1994). Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. (TSR, Inc), p. 5. ISBN 1-5607-6940-1.
  2. Ed Greenwood (1994). Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. (TSR, Inc), p. 147. ISBN 1-5607-6940-1.
  3. Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 29. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases