Is it time to corral AI threads?

I think the title says it all. As you can probably guess by the fact that I'm asking the question, I think the answer is "Yes". It's probably not as vitrolic of a topic as things like the OGL or Damage On A Miss were, but it's been a steadily invasive issue for awhile now.

There are a lot of AI threads. There are multiple threads on AI in multiple forums. It is a very divisive and polarizing topic. And frankly, it's not specifically an RPG issue. It's a topic of discussion that encompasses all art/writing/content/marketing/etc, that evokes people to talk about ethics, economics, and their complete worldview of the progress of technology. In many cases, a discussion of AI butts right up against a discussion of politics. And that's a big part of why it needs some moderation. A topic that isn't even tantgentially related to AI can be completely hijacked by rants about inflation or unions the minute someone even mentions AI.

IMNSHO, putting AI threads in the "Publishing Business & Licensing" forum would be appropriate. At the end of the day, it really is a discussion about business (and the associated ethical and economical issues), very similar to the OGL discussions that were corralled there. Any thoughts or discussion about the best way to contain the topic of AI would be appreciated.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I second this. The impact AI will have on how business is conducted may make a given company seem shadier, but shady companies don't need AI to be shady. Sure, there may come a day that a computer will try to make a TTRPG, but I'm pretty sure actual gamers will drive it to self-destruction by finding exploits and loopholes faster than James Tiberius Kirk can logic it to death.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's probably not as vitrolic of a topic as things like the OGL or Damage On A Miss were, but it's been a steadily invasive issue for awhile now.

I think it's worse, but we don't have a lot of artists or writers here. The OGL and DoaM are game related things, but AI art is ruining actual livelihoods. For disclosure, I've been an Indie publisher for more than 20 years, and over those years have become good friends with dozens of artists. The topic of AI is a lot more vitriolic between them and AI Bros who defend it. Only my exceptional good manners has prevented me from commenting on those AI art threads ;)

Also full disclosure, when midjourney started to become popular a year to 2 ago, I used it myself, but since have learned the impact and went through replacing any AI art I used with real art.
IMNSHO, putting AI threads in the "Publishing Business & Licensing" forum would be appropriate. At the end of the day, it really is a discussion about business (and the associated ethical and economical issues), very similar to the OGL discussions that were corralled there. Any thoughts or discussion about the best way to contain the topic of AI would be appreciated.

I don't run this forum, obviously, but if I did I wouldn't allow AI art posting not because of the moral reasons (although that's arguable), but because it's still unknown where the copyright law will land on with them. If there is a ruling that comes down saying AI art trained on non-public domain or non-agreed art is a violation of copyright, then I'd treat AI art like any other form of piracy.

Obviously Morrus is more comfortable than I am, which is his prerogative naturally, but at the very least I'd like to have it as part of another forum.

Putting the AI threads in "Publishing Business & Licensing" would be an effective way of hiding them from those (probably great many) of us who never venture there.

Hiding a divisive topic isn't the answer.

Would making an AI subforum of TTRPGs General be a more satisfactory solution for you, or is any method of separation a problem? Hiding the conversation certainly isn't my goal.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd like to see it corralled into a single thread or at the very least threads being relegated to a more obscure thread header. Honestly. to take this one step further. I'd really like to see an option here that would allow users to block seeing threads they have no interest in participating/posting in. There are a lot of times I miss out on threads I'd like to post in because the ones I don't seem to dominate the news feed for extended periods of time on occasion.

tbh, any AI thread will just be the same folks hashing over the fact that it's "evil" "bad" "unethical" the one + AI thread quickly died since no one wanted to talk about the positives.

Remove ads