Is it time to corral AI threads?

I agree. These political AI threads are clogging up the forum. They don't necessarily need to be locked or stopped but they should relegated to the "Publishing Business and Licensing" subforum or something like that since that's the context in which most of them are concerned about it. Most of them are clearly concerned about business and jobs and stuff like that

Yeah I had seen it. The concept of just having AI generate text that matches what the user already wants doesnt seem fulfilling from a discovery point of view. Its like the images it generates now. Its really just giving us what we want, based on the common denominators of what exists in the vast collection of other peoples work that it has consumed.

Unsurprisingly, I dont think the long term prospects are great, its like the bad software glut of the late 90s.
I as it pertains to art and writing etc. think that sounds intrinsically better than what we had before. It's based on what the user wants instead of being designed to have a broad appeal to maximize profits

In other fields though, it is indeed a limitation. AIs thus far are bad with facts or information or reasoning. (Like in that incident where the lawyer asked about a legal precedent for something and the AI returned a case that didn;t exist)

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
I think that sounds intrinsically better than what we had before. It's based on what the user wants instead of being designed to have a broad appeal to maximize profits
Yes and no. I'd argue good works are already trying to say or communicate something, instead of just trying to be as non offensive and bland as possible in an effort to apply to as many people as possible. There's an RPG comparison in there somewhere.

If I can have media generated to my specified tastes and desires, I discover nothing new.

Yes and no. I'd argue good works are already trying to say or communicate something, instead of just trying to be as non offensive and bland as possible in an effort to apply to as many people as possible. There's an RPG comparison in there somewhere.

If I can have media generated to my specified tastes and desires, I discover nothing new.
Personally I don't associate art and entertainment with learning. But I will cede that if an AI tried to make something educational it would almost certainly bungle it.

Scribe

Legend
Personally I don't associate art and entertainment with learning. But I will cede that if an AI tried to make something educational it would almost certainly bungle it.
I don't think I said learning in an educational sense, but I've been up over 24 hours and am not quite coherent.

Media still when done well, communicates a message the creator wants to convey.

AI by its nature is wholly derivative.

Reynard

Legend
AI is real. It is happening. It is going to impact the hobby and the industry. People have different views of different aspects of those impacts.

I don't understand the desire to hide them, except that some people seem really mad when other people don't agree with them.

Divine2021

Adventurer
They’re annoying as heck, vastly overhyped and breathless, and generally preachy. I’d love it if I didn’t have to see that junk unless I had too.

Reynard

Legend
They’re annoying as heck, vastly overhyped and breathless, and generally preachy. I’d love it if I didn’t have to see that junk unless I had too.
There are lots of threads unimportant to lots of members. Most of them just keep scrolling when they see something they don't like.

Divine2021

Adventurer
There are lots of threads unimportant to lots of members. Most of them just keep scrolling when they see something they don't like.
When they clog up the front page, and the conversation is all the same, then typically they’re grouped into a single thread. That way other topics can get more eyeballs. This isn’t that complicated nor is it asking too much.

Remove ads