• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Is Mike Mearls still in WotC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The problem is that the age of the hosts of a Youtube show is being presented as evidence that there is an active goal of making the D&D design team younger, just to make it younger.
Bold emphasis mine.
I'm not arguing that is the case or not.
But if they were going the younger route it would likely be that it also serves as a cost cutting exercise.

So we're going from "what is Mike Mearls doing?" to "WotC is shoving old folks out the metaphorical door so the young'uns can be the face of the brand!"...?
ron burgundy GIF

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Violating the law and getting their rears sued for huge amounts of money makes good business sense?

You aren't allowed to do that.

Companies (no, I'm not singling out WoTC), can get very crafty in how they push out older workers. They navigate legal pifalls and word things just so, making it difficult to pin it down and prove discrimination.

You aren't allowed to do that.
I mean, in practice you totally are, though, with brand leaders and the like, because it's very easy to express it in terms of qualifications and experience and further senior people who want careers, do not sue for age discrimination.

Suing for that a career-ender for a senior position. If they want you out, they'll get you out. If you're senior and you don't understand that, well, you're really proving their point.

Age discrimination laws aren't there to prevent changing the leadership of a brand to help it reach new markets. They're there to stop the 50-something person from getting fired because they're slightly slower on their feet than the 20-something person, or the like. In normal, non-executive roles, suing on this basis absolutely makes sense. At an executive level, especially in a brand leadership role? You might as well announce your retirement. Because at best you're going to get a payout and end up out anyway. And basically unhire-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads