D&D 4E Is my friend's unwillingness to try 4e irrational?

Raven Crowking

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
I... agree!

I'd still try to convince him, though. *grumbles about lack of people willing to play Shadowrun with him*

I would also still say that, if Shadowrun hadn't come out yet, and there was another game in the same genre that you were already playing, it would be wise to wait for reviews before investing in Shadowrun.

I'm funny that way.

RC

Voss

First Post
PoeticJustice said:
Doesn't seem like an ultimatum if everyone else is on board but Bob. Just seems like the democratic response.

The 'tyranny of the majority' is a well documented phenomenon. Its actually a fairly unpleasant part of gaming in particular. If half or more of gamers abandon a game system, that convinces others to go, and then finally, it dies, with one or two people sitting at a table, thinking 'but we liked this system'. They either have to find other people willing to play their game, join the majority, or just quit gaming. None of these options are exactly optimal.

I could provide a lot of examples, but I suspect most of us could.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
I would also still say that, if Shadowrun hadn't come out yet, and there was another game in the same genre that you were already playing, it would be wise to wait for reviews before investing in Shadowrun.

I'm funny that way.

I'm impulsive and enjoy trying out new things when they're brand new. Alphas and betas, make mistakes, crash your system, and have fun doing it! You're bleeding edge, baby! Oh yeah! Sure, sometimes I end up running Windows Vista 64 bit and regretting it, but other times I get in on the ground floor of something great.

PoeticJustice

First Post
Voss said:
I could provide a lot of examples, but I suspect most of us could.

I do hope you haven't as loose a definition of 'tyranny of the majority' as this post implies. Sure, it sucks that Bob's got to make a decision, but that's not tyranny. Nobody is forcing bob to actually do anything, near as I can tell.

Wolfspider

Explorer
PoeticJustice said:
Doesn't seem like an ultimatum if everyone else is on board but Bob. Just seems like the democratic response.

Ahh, democracy in action! 80% people are all for something, and the minority can take a hike. :)

Remove ads